Thread: Do G and D strings die first?

Registered User Christine Robins's Avatar

Default Do G and D strings die first?

My experience, on different instruments, with different brands and gauges of strings, is that the G and D strings start to sound muddy and dull while the A and E strings still sound clear and crisp. A number of times, I've replaced just the Gs and Ds, because the treble strings sounded fine.

Is this a universal phenomenon? Does it have to do with the windings on the Gs and Ds?

Do others change the Gs and Ds more frequently than the As and Es?

Default Re: Do G and D strings die first?

I change them all at same time.

I am in the "change strings frequently " camp, and my general benchmark for when is at the start of tuning instability, which happens initially on the a and e for me. I have evo frets, and notice string deformities (wear dents) on the underside after about 20 hrs of gig wear. I gig 2-3 days a week, and change strings most every month. I always change whole sets, as breakage happens too often at the wrong time in a gig.
    Happy pickin!
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

I changed a whole set in late June and the G and D are now dead. Not very pleased. The strings were Daddario EJ73's and lasted just a week with not much playing time at all.

I replaced them with the G and D from an identical set, if these do the same I'll return them.

Normally however I change them all at once and find I get a better sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Christine Robins View Post
    My experience, on different instruments, with different brands and gauges of strings, is that the G and D strings start to sound muddy and dull while the A and E strings still sound clear and crisp. A number of times, I've replaced just the Gs and Ds, because the treble strings sounded fine.

Is this a universal phenomenon? Does it have to do with the windings on the Gs and Ds?

Do others change the Gs and Ds more frequently than the As and Es?
    Yes, wound strings tend to die faster. Partly it's because the windings get worn away on the underside (out of view) from fret contact. Partly it's because dirt accumulates between the windings. Partly it's because their cores (esp. the D) are a bit thinner, and get metal fatigue, or develop minor kinks at the fret positions.

But I definitely recommend changing all strings at once. If nothing else, it keeps the book-keeping simpler on how old the strings might be!

6. The following members say thank you to sblock for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Davey View Post
    I changed a whole set in late June and the G and D are now dead. Not very pleased. The strings were Daddario EJ73's and lasted just a week with not much playing time at all.

I replaced them with the G and D from an identical set, if these do the same I'll return them.

Normally however I change them all at once and find I get a better sound.
    Strings should certainly last a week "with not much playing time at all," so something might be wrong. (Do you clean them? Were they exposed to extreme humidity?) On the other hand, sometimes a set won't even last through a weekend bluegrass festival if they're being heavily played, nearly around the clock!

Quote Originally Posted by Christine Robins View Post
    Does it have to do with the windings on the Gs and Ds?
    I would agree with your analysis. More cranny's for finger goop and grime to get into. I've had some success using D'addario EXP coated strings on both my mandolins and my acoutic guitars. They seem to hold up longer, but the G and D seem to go first tonally speaking...

ribbon flat wound may be better.. like FW 74..

bronze corrodes, monel is more corrosion resistant. as would be nickel..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Wound strings consist of two different metals. Add acid from bodily fluids and you get contact corrosion. Cleaning after playing helps.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world