Thread: Neck Profiles of Weber and Collings

Default Neck Profiles of Weber and Collings

At one point in the next year or so I will probably be acquiring an upgrade to my Kentucky KM505. I am comfortable with the neck profile of the Kentucky, which feels to me like a "D". I am looking primarily at Collings or Weber. One of them, I think, has a "V" profile. What are the neck profiles of these two and if they have a "V", how extreme is the "V"? Rounded "V" or a really accentuated "V"? Thanks for your input.

Default Re: Neck Profiles of Weber and Collings

I don't know of a site with good descriptions of the profiles. As far as fit goes, obviously only you can answer that.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

IME Collings mandolins tend to have a V-shape where the Weber necks tend to be more rounded. Neither is a D-shape. The Weber is more of a rounded C-shape. The V on the Collings is not what I would call a hard V. I prefer a more rounded shape, but can play either as long as the V isn't too pointy.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Buck For This Useful Post:

Great thread. As a mandocello player, I'm always looking for a narrow, D-shaped neck
    Last edited by themandocello; Aug-05-2018 at 10:05am.

What Buck said. I own both, and the way I describe them is that Collings is closer to a V, but rounded. The Weber is closer to a D shape.

In my first couple of years, I preferred the Weber neck, and tended to avoid the Collings as I found it harder for me to play.

When I put the effort into getting comfortable with the Collings, I found it was easier to swap between them. It may have simply been me progressing and adopting a more efficient left hand position rather than anything to do with either design. I just remember that as a fresh beginner, with mandolin as my first instrument after spending just north of 5 decades on this earth, I found the Collings hard to handle. Now, my Collings MTO is all I play!
    Girouard Custom Studio A Oval
    P.W. Crump OM-III

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gary Leonard For This Useful Post:

I have both a Weber and a Collings, and I find both to be comfortable. I agree that the Collings is a "soft V" and the Weber is closer to a "C" shape, but I don't find them different enough to be a problem switching back and forth between them.

9. The following members say thank you to LadysSolo for this post:

Rdeane 

From the Weber website: Weber shapes our necks with the aim to be uniquely the absolute best. Most traditional instruments have a V-Shape. Our necks are a soft V-Shape, which is more comfortable to play up and down the fretboard. Folks tell us that we found the sweet spot between not too bulky and heavy, but substantial enough to provide a strong playing foundation.

From the Collings website: All of our f-hole instruments have a 1 1/8" nut width as a standard. We also offer a 1 3/16" nut option, which allows for a more rounded neck shape. The standard nut width is the most popular choice, although the wider nut width may be a better fit for players with larger hands or those who prefer necks with less "V" shape.

So I guess from this that Collings standard width nuts have a 'V' neck, except if you order a wide nut you get one that is more round and less-V. And that was not perfectly clear.

11. The following members say thank you to Al Trujillo for this post:

Interesting to read this as my experience with both was the opposite - I found the Weber mandolins I've owned have had rounder neck profiles and my MTO had more of a V shaped neck - and the MTO's come with the 1 /3/16th nut as standard.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

13. The following members say thank you to Jill McAuley for this post:

My MT2O is exactly as described in Al's post. 1 3/16 nut and a very rounded V that I would actually say is more of a C shape. It's very comfortable to play.

Registered User Robert Mitchell's Avatar
    Blog Entries

OP,,,,you really need to get to a store and try all the mandolins
    you are interested in....
    It's the only way you will know what suits you!!!!!
    Best wishes in your quest!!
    MITCH

GIBSON 2016 F9 CUSTOM
    WEBER YELLOWSTONE 2011 F5
    WEBER YELLOWSTONE 2005 F5

Doing that on Tuesday, and I'm looking forward to it!

I had a Weber Yellowstone for a while. I was really excited to get it. However, I always had trouble fingering certain places on the fretboard, simple things like the D note on the A string. I practiced and practiced, it got marginally better but never perfect. Then I played a Collings MT at a local music store - it was totally different and I could once again easily fret those trouble areas on the Weber. I bought the Collings and sold the Weber. I never was quite sure what it was, I am sure neck shape played a part. I encourage you to try both and see what suits you better.

Rob
    Follow the Flatt Stanley Incident on Facebook

Listen to original tune "When You Fly" by my old band The Kindreds

18. The following members say thank you to RobP for this post:

Thanks to everyone who responded on this thread. I went out on Tuesday armed with a lot more info than I had before. I tried a Girouard (nice, but a sharper V shape), a Silverangel (lovely but not for me), a Skip Kelly (great bluegrass mandolin) and a Collings MT2 with a wide nut. The Collings neck profile was quite comfortable, best of all of them. I fell in love with the MT2 tone and am now the owner. It's quite a step up from my Kentucky KM505.
    170526Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Top.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	447.5 KB 
ID:	170528
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	back.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	694.2 KB 
ID:	170526   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fretboard and bridge.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	490.8 KB 
ID:	170527  

20. The following members say thank you to Rdeane for this post:

Wow congrats -- I love the cream colored ones! Enjoy!!!

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Rdeane View Post
    Thanks to everyone who responded on this thread. I went out on Tuesday armed with a lot more info than I had before. I tried a Girouard (nice, but a sharper V shape), a Silverangel (lovely but not for me), a Skip Kelly (great bluegrass mandolin) and a Collings MT2 with a wide nut. The Collings neck profile was quite comfortable, best of all of them. I fell in love with the MT2 tone and am now the owner. It's quite a step up from my Kentucky KM505.
    170526Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Top.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	447.5 KB 
ID:	170528
    Follow the Flatt Stanley Incident on Facebook

Listen to original tune "When You Fly" by my old band The Kindreds

22. The following members say thank you to RobP for this post:

Blog Entries

Rdeane, Congrats on your new MT2! Gorgeous!

Rdeane,
    Congrats from here too!
    I bought an MT2 a few months ago and have fallen in love with it. So easy to play. And, the tone is just wonderful.
    Hope your purchase continues to give you pleasure in playing it!
    Eric Hanson
    Click #016/ Born on 2/29/08 - Sold to the next Conservator of this great mandolin!
    The search has ceased! (At least for now)
    Collings A-Style
    White #29R : Oh my!! This one is so AWESOME!!