Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Easy string changing

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

Default Re: Easy string changing

Quote Originally Posted by jesserules View Post
    Whatever way you're changing the strings, don't neglect the opportunity to lubricate the nut slots. Sam Bush recommends graphite (specifically, a no. 2 pencil).
    I hate to say it, but I've never done that. I'm not crazy about the black graphite on the white nut. Could you use something like teflon bike lube instead? Since it goes on wet (but still works once it's dry) you could apply it any time and it would wick under the strings. A small amount shouldn't gunk up the windings of the strings very much.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Busman View Post
    I hate to say it, but I've never done that. I'm not crazy about the black graphite on the white nut. Could you use something like teflon bike lube instead? Since it goes on wet (but still works once it's dry) you could apply it any time and it would wick under the strings. A small amount shouldn't gunk up the windings of the strings very much.
    The strings will cover virtually all of the graphite in the slots of the nut. It works and I will even occasionally put a small amount on the slots of the bridge as well. Second, I wouldn't to "gunk of the windings of the strings" at all.
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Busman View Post
    I was going to say something about that. I feel the same way about the graphite residue so I use a commercial product called "Nut Sauce", which is Teflon-based & clear. And it comes in a dispenser designed to make it easy to use on stringed instruments, which I'm assuming bike lube doesn't.

I didn't mention it because somehow writing "Sam Bush recommends X, but I use Y" seemed like it would look so lame ….

http://www.bigbends.com/

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

+1 for nut sauce.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Thanks for that, Paul. I had put off replacing a broken string for a few days (I have more than one mandolin), and remembered this thread. I used your video, and found it helpful, and, yes, easier. I didn't shed any blood, though a neighbouring E-string nipped me. Now, I'll just have to see how it holds. The funny thing is that it's the same thing I've been doing with my fiddle for ages until I learned a "better" method for the mandolin.
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

In 28 years playing Mandolin, I have never lubricated the nut or the bridge slots, and all worked just fine. YMMV
    2021 The Loar LM700 VS