Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tenor Guitar tuned to GDAE, is it worth it?

Default Re: Tenor Guitar tuned to GDAE, is it worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by Em Tee View Post
    Thanks for all the advice. Y'all have been very helpful. I am gonna go with the blueridge!
    I think that's a good move. I just picked up a second Blueridge tenor and played it in CGDA for a few days. It is fun, but I prefer the deeper sound of GDAE, and I can always capo up if I want to be in tenor/mandola tuning. I just filed the nut slots yesterday and strung it with 14, 22, 32, 45. Sounds great! I like the 14 as the single E string, vs the pair of 12 I use on my other Blueridge that has 8 strings. I think a pair of 14 would bee too much for comfortable fretting. I'm still thinking I might convert it to 8 string, but I'll keep it as a 4 string for the next month or so to see if I like it.

Do I need to file down the nut to be able to tune GDAE?

Quote Originally Posted by Em Tee View Post
    Do I need to file down the nut to be able to tune GDAE?
    I use the John Pearse .013 -.042 set on my Blueridge and did not have to file the nut. Seems like the nut was actually slotted for the heavier gauge octave strings.

Good call on getting the Blueridge! I have been very impressed with my BR-40T since getting it two years ago.

4. The following members say thank you to Patrick S for this post:

Em Tee 

You could certainly try it with the nut slots the way they are. If you have difficulty tuning or staying in tune, it might be from strings binding on the nut slots. Or if it intonates sharp, you might need to open up the slots a bit. But you may as well try it without modification first.

6. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post:

Em Tee 

I had the Blueridge BR40T, and initially strung it up for GDAE,. It works, but is only satisfactory if you pay attention to your string gauges, and the best man to advise you on that is FOX who liked your previous post! (#25) Most of all, you'll need a reasonably heavy gauge G string, or it'll flop around. Some sets sold as suitable for GDAE have a G string that is too light unless you have a longer scale length (and thus greater tension) than the BR40T. Hope you get sorted!
    P.S. I have to confess, I sold my Blueridge in order to finance a mandolin....
    "What's that funny guitar thing..?"

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tim N For This Useful Post:

Em Teefox 

One of my tenor guitars, a mid 30's National resonator, is tuned GDAE while the other two are tuned CGDA. I like the sound of open chords for some songs. Right now A luthier friend restrung it and made adjustments to the nut so that intonation is very good.
    I am working more with closed chords so it is not getting much use.

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

I owned a Blueridge TG40 for a while and tuned it GDAE because I didn't want to learn tenor banjo chords, use a capo or transpose. I had to have the nut filed and even after setup it had intonation issues. Also, the G string seemed a little floppy. I used John Pearse tenor guitar strings.

I found that playing in a trio with another guitar player, the TG got lost, not only in volume competing against a D-28, but also in range. The two were just too similar, whereas my mandolin stands out and above the standard guitar range. The same thing happened with my TC OM. We all agreed that the mandolin fit in and enhanced better. It was an experiment.....

But perhaps with the uke, none of that will be an issue. I'm only relating my experience, YMMV, and I hope it works out well for you.
    Living’ in the Mitten

well I can't speak for everyone but for me being
    a mandolin player for 35 years and just buying a tenor
    guitar.. gdae is a shorter learning curve.

As the owner of both a Blueridge tenor tuned GDAE and a Pono guitar-body octave (and a Rigel A+ mandolin), I so understand the "learning curve" portion of your question. My experience: I turned to the tenor in order to command a little more attention as a soloist at open mics. Loved playing it, altho' it was a bit of a stretch. Loved getting the bass feeling I had missed from my guitar playing days. Loved its bell-like tone. But then my head was turned by the Pono octave video made by Kilin Reece. Bought one. Everything you hear in that video is what you will hear when you play a Pono. The Blueridge sits in its case. The Rigel glares at me from the wall. YMMV

13. The following members say thank you to MsRutaRutabaga for this post:

Em Tee 

This lower tuning actually allows you to get a much deeper & mellower jazzy Guitar sound out of it w/ John Pearse 450 Tenor Guitar Strings (gauges 13, 20w, 30w, 42w). Autumn Leaves works great in this lower tuning:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPXDdP79SbU

Guernsey... small island just off the coast of France

Your are like a bloody parrot but in any case CGDA is fantastic for Autumn Leaves !

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to fox For This Useful Post:

Hello all. A little late to this thread, but here goes. Aquila makes strings for fifths tuning on a concert ukulele tuned CGDA (31U Nylgut). If you use these strings on a baritone ukulele (they are long enough) you can tune to GDAE (OM tuning). I tried it on my Pono AB and it works fine with a great ukulele tone.

I've used John Pearse #450 Strings on an old Harmony H929TG Acoustic Parlor Tenor Guitar, that I've converted into a Hollow Body Electric Jazz Tenor Guitar in Octave Mandolin Tuning (as used by the great Elmer Snowden) by adding a Recording King Gold Foil Pickup. actually gives the Guitar a much deeper & mellower sound that's appropriate for playing Jazz:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kG9L1AcYwlo This Tuning also allowed me to do an interesting version of Vivaldi's 4 Seasons (4 Concertos for Violin & Orchestra):Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vivaldi Barenreiter.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	146.4 KB 
ID:	205572 w/ the Solo Violin part played on a Tenor Guitar in Octave Mandolin Tuning (all the notes will sound an Octave Lower than written throughout). The Tremolo Picking took some practice, & I picked that up from watching Mandolin Tremolo Picking lessons.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    One of my tenor guitars, a mid 30's National resonator, is tuned GDAE while the other two are tuned CGDA. I like the sound of open chords for some songs. Right now A luthier friend restrung it and made adjustments to the nut so that intonation is very good.
    I am working more with closed chords so it is not getting much use.
    What string gauge are you using?
    Waterloo WL-M

Blues Mando Social Group - member

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ocyc15.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	98.7 KB 
ID:	206339 I found something that'll work w/ a Tenor Guitar/Tenor Banjo in GDAE Tuning, it's called "Mandolin Chordology" by Gordon Stobbe. It shows you how to play Chords & how you can put them together to crank your music playing up to 11.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ocyc15sample.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	532.6 KB 
ID:	206340 This book even includes an Accompaniment CD so that you have your own Backing Band.

To get a good sound on my Small Bodied Tenor Guitar in GDAE Tuning w/ John Pearse #450 Strings, I cranked the angle of the headstock down to 90 degrees which puts the strings at a steeper angle over the nut.

My tenor doesn't have an adjustment for headstock angle. That's very interesting!
    ----

Playing a funky oval-hole scroll-body mandolin, several mandolins retuned to CGDA, three CGDA-tuned Flatiron mandolas, two Flatiron mandolas tuned as octave mandolins,and a six-course 25.5" scale CGDAEB-tuned Ovation Mandophone.

Love mandola?
    Join the Mandola Social Group!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ostrander View Post
    I owned a Blueridge TG40 for a while and tuned it GDAE because I didn't want to learn tenor banjo chords, use a capo or transpose. I had to have the nut filed and even after setup it had intonation issues. Also, the G string seemed a little floppy. I used John Pearse tenor guitar strings.

I found that playing in a trio with another guitar player, the TG got lost, not only in volume competing against a D-28, but also in range. The two were just too similar, whereas my mandolin stands out and above the standard guitar range. The same thing happened with my TC OM. We all agreed that the mandolin fit in and enhanced better. It was an experiment.....

But perhaps with the uke, none of that will be an issue. I'm only relating my experience, YMMV, and I hope it works out well for you.
    You probably could've gotten a pickup.

I'm not an expert at tenor/OM tenor, but here's my thought:

GDAE is better for playing tunes that are violin based. Playing in first position, however, is tough on the left hand. I tend to capo at the 7th fret. When I do that, I also will tune the highest string to D for a GDAD tuning. With the capo at the 7th fret, the tuning is DAEA. The first string is more for droning, but sound and comfort is nice.
    thepurecanada.com

Quote Originally Posted by s11141827 View Post
    To get a good sound on my Small Bodied Tenor Guitar in GDAE Tuning w/ John Pearse #450 Strings, I cranked the angle of the headstock down to 90 degrees which puts the strings at a steeper angle over the nut.
    You did what? Pics please.
    John Liestman -
    Eye new ewe wood lye kit!

All very interesting. As someone who has owned and released several tenors before finally keeping one (a 20s Regal), I've observed that a lot of mandolin players will buy one but then find the hand stretch unpleasant, playing fast is harder, as are double stops and chords. So they sell it again. My suggestion is not to rush to judgment. A tenor guitar isn't a big mandolin. Take your time figuring out how it can work for you. Personally, I've come to mostly use it for Irish tunes (it goes well with my wife's whistle) and sometimes to sing--although that's just between me and the four walls. Just some thoughts. (By the way, though the Regal is only 21 inch scale, I use mandola strings on it, capo at the 2nd fret, and play in gdae that way with a very manageable scale length. I did that with 23 inch instruments as well and it sounds fine.)
    Cary Fagan

I have learned a massive amount of fiddle music playing violin and mandolin during the years I played in dance bands. GDAE tuning allows me to simply play without relearning additonal fingerings.

23" scale length is standard on most tenors. A mid 21" Octave Mandolin is much more comfortable for me.
    Chris from Tucson
    2007 Heiden Artist F5 #F102
    1919 Gibson A3 #49762 (found on eBay for $15!!)
    2022 Austin Clark Octave #159
    1922 Gibson H1 Mandola #70063
    1972 Martin D-18 (modified by Bryan Kimsey)
    2024 Klos Carbon Fiber (on order)