Thread: Securing latches on Airloom Recurve or Jakob Winter cases

Default Securing latches on Airloom Recurve or Jakob Winter cases

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7C0F7FDF-0344-457D-9C24-E21E67D366EF.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	772.0 KB 
ID:	169715

I really like my Jakob Winter violin case, but am always worried about the latches popping open. I would like to buy a Northfield Airloom Recurve mandolin case, which is made by Jakob Winter, but they have the same worrisome latches. I think I found a quick, easy way to secure the latches with Velcro to keep them from accidentally popping open. I just did this, so I don’t know how durable it will over time. SoClick image for larger version. 

Name:	056329F0-563F-44D3-8D7E-3ED25F6ED970.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	846.5 KB 
ID:	169716 far, it seems pretty good.
    Last edited by Tom Sanderson; Jul-28-2018 at 9:59am.

Default Re: Securing latches on Airloom Recurve or Jakob Winter cases

I realized after I posted that I put in the “general “ category instead of the “equipment “ category by mistake and cannot figure out how to move it. If a moderator can do it, please do.
    Thanks

Hi Tom - Have the latches ever come open ?. Your first post reads as though they have. The reason i ask, is that Jakob Winter has been selling his cases for a very long time,& if the latches were an issue,i'd have expected him to have put it right. Latches that suddenly pop open aren't the best selling point for an instrument case. Or - are you ''erring on the side of caution'' ? - not a bad thing for one's peace of mind,IF,you think that it might happen & a neat idea,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Ivan, if you read the reviews on the violin cases people still avoid them. They are only used on a few Winter cases. Their other cases have other types of hardware. You have to be very careful latching them, and in fact there is a tutorial on their use on the Northfield website. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OB0XEtD1FEs
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandobar For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    Hi Tom - Have the latches ever come open ?. Your first post reads as though they have. The reason i ask, is that Jakob Winter has been selling his cases for a very long time,& if the latches were an issue,i'd have expected him to have put it right. Latches that suddenly pop open aren't the best selling point for an instrument case. Or - are you ''erring on the side of caution'' ? - not a bad thing for one's peace of mind,IF,you think that it might happen & a neat idea,
    Ivan

Ivan,
    So far, the latches have never been a problem, but with a little bump in the right place, they will pop open. Just being cautious.

7. The following members say thank you to Tom Sanderson for this post:

Hey, Tom, I love that solution!
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

9. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

Whether the problem is real or perceived, if it troubles you and you otherwise like the case, good for you that you have found a simple, elegant solution. I think it is a great idea.
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bob Clark For This Useful Post:

Indeed, a clever and unobtrusive solution. Too bad it needs to be done.

Geeez !!!. A tutorial on how to use a case latch ??. What's that all about ?. I have very similar latches on 2 P/carbonate suitcases that me & my wife use when going on hol.& we didn't get any instructions with them !. I can only assume that the latches wouldn't be properly secured if a case owner was in a hurry, & didn't watch what they were doing. Even so,closed incorrectly - the latches don't look closed,there's a gap at the top. However,as we know,accidents can happen to the most careful of us - so...!.

I'd expect that Northfield would have specified a different style of latch if they thought that the ones currently being used would cause any problems ?. Maybe a comment by Northfield themselves would explain their choice of latch.Personally,i wouldn't have any problem in using a case with latches like that - they seem more'positive' in their locking ability than a metal 'hoop' going over a 'slightly indented' metal pressing.They seem more like a 'plastic' version of the Hiscox case latches,
    with the 'tooth' going into a recess,
    Ivan
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Latch.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	48.9 KB 
ID:	169808
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.