Thread: A more positive take on “bending” bounds

Default A more positive take on “bending” bounds

For some reason I have been listening to my “Chris Jones” station on Pandora a LOT lately and the thing that strikes me is that what the guys linked through this seem to me to be much more a kind of “Bluegrass instrument voiced Country music” style.
    Bluegrass instrumentation of more “traditional country” designed music. The fact that these folks have a solid traditional base and CAN do the traditional style and tunes is the added benefit!
    The Mandolin takes a lot of what the pedal steel voicing is, banjo, lead guitar (well, in a banjo manner) fiddle being fiddle it’s a cross genre instrument no matter how one cuts the pie.
    I suppose the thrust of this blather is simply that “Just because it’s not Lester and Earl,” it can still be really carefully crafted, well played and ultimately enjoyable listening music.
    Some of the choices I’ve given the thumbs up to are guys like Audie Blaylock, excellent “Feel” for the music, (“Matches” burns it up!, sorry bad pun). Darrell Webb, outstanding talent! If “country music had this kind of character, I might set a button to a station!
    Like I say, this is just something that has been making more confident in the “health and well being of a music that I love.
    Adaptation with the best possible for survival isn’t all bad.
    Ivan, I’m glad you like Greensky et al but, I’ll take the Steeldrivers in spades!
    Hope this ramble has not made anyone mad.
    I’m going to grill dinner now!
    Last edited by Timbofood; Jul-30-2018 at 6:02pm.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

2. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post:

Default Re: A more positive take on “bending” bounds

Quote Originally Posted by Timbofood View Post
    I suppose the thrust of this blather is simply that “Just because it’s not Lester and Earl,” it can still be really carefully crafted, well played and ultimately enjoyable listening music.
    I don't recall that anybody on the Café has contended otherwise. If anyone actually has, I would strongly disagree with them.

I love a lot of traditional bluegrass. I also love Punch Brothers, Seldom Scene, Hot Rize, Infamous Stringdusters, Yonder Mountain, Greensky Bluegrass... and that's not even getting into the electric stuff. I used to let snobbery ruin music for me, but I'm done with that nonsense. Good music is good music.

FWIW, I see very little in the way of snobbery here.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MediumMando5722 For This Useful Post:

Hi Tim - I like ''The Steeldrivers'' as well.Their song ''When I'm Gone'' is a favourite pick-along tune of mine. I like a lot of what might be termed ''Bluegrass-associated'' or ''Bluegrass Derived'' music. Despite being a 100% hard line trad.Bluegrasser,i love all forms of music enough to simply ''appreciate it when it's good'' - as long as it's not too far out. I'm afraid that the music of 'Punch Brothers' leaves me cold,despite the obvious talent of the band members. Talent alone won't do anything for me if i don't like the output. That doesn't mean that i don't appreciate the talent - i most certainly do.

Chris Bowsman sums up my stance as well,although i've never let 'snobbery' ruin my musical enjoyment.It's very simple for me - i either like it or i don't,just like everybody else !,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

7. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post: