Thread: Conflicting Information about Collings Mandolin Neck Joints

Default Conflicting Information about Collings Mandolin Neck Joints

I have started researching the purchase of a Collings MT2V. I was concerned by some websites specifications stating it was a bolt-on mortise and tenon neck joint and some referencing the neck joint as a dovetail. Collings own website under specifications classify the neck joint as a dovetail, reference link: http://www.collingsguitars.com/mandolins/mt2-v/. With the differing information out there, I called Collings and spoke to a Luthier in their mandolin division and he specifically told me that some would see it as a hybrid, but it was actually classified as a dovetail joint, glued in and NO BOLTS. For those that have wondered the same thing, I wanted to share what I was told. I'm assuming this is accurate information considering the source.

Default Re: Conflicting Information about Collings Mandolin Neck Joints

While I certainly want to know everything regarding an instrument I'm thinking of buying, not until it has passed the play test. The human brain can trick your ears with preconceptions. You can have a tendency to hear what you want to hear. I am no exception, be it a logo, a scroll, etc. my brain is perfectly delusional.

I had a friend who bought a Collings guitar who was then disappointed when he learned about the neck joint. Beware of marketing propaganda. And really beware all objectivity disappears if you've built the instrument. My BS mandolin is absolutely the best sounding instrument on the planet, no bull. Glued together with the now legendary batch of Titebond delivered to NorCal Home Depots in the fall of 2017, this wondrous batch of adhesive will go down as legendary in the annals of luthiery.

Seriously, those MT2s I've played were wonderful, and I could care less what the neck joint was.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

3. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

Dave Sheets

Thanks for sharing the info about the neck joint, it's just good to know. I recently found the discussion here on sticky tuners on Collings MT/MTOs, which really helped me a lot, really improved matters

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...llings-MT-MT-O

MandolinCafe is just such a great resources, do keep posting information like this.
    -Dave
    Flatiron A
    Way too many other instruments

While playability, sound and aesthetics all make up valuable parts and, depending on the individual, rank differently as far as importance to each of those individuals. In other words, one size doesn't always fit all.

I'm passing on my research to others that like me, feel the neck joint plays a very important part of the instrument, hence my research. While your BS mandolin built with the latest BS glue might be exactly what you're looking for, I enjoy knowing how my mandolin is made with non BS parts. I also think about longevity and the neck joint, among other things, contribute quite a bit to the overall instruments usable lifespan. I also happen to believe, just my opinion and you know how those are, that the neck joint contributes to the overall sound and tone. YMMV

But if you thought the MTO was the best sounding and playing mandolin, would the neck joint cause you to buy the mandolin next to it instead? If so, it would certainly be a different strokes situation. I agree with you totally that knowledge is good and people will use it differently.

Funny thing about me and Collings mandolins. I always thought them too bright, but over time, I've liked them better and better. I have a friend who has a few Collings guitars, and he says he likes them because his 70+ year old ears have lost high frequency hearing which the brightness compensated for.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1