Thread: Gibson F-9 Neck Joint

Default Gibson F-9 Neck Joint

There is a Gibson F-9 for sale on ebay starting low, I think. www.ebay.com/itm/Gibson-Master-Model-F9-Mandolin-Pre-Owned-Early-2000s-Natural-Finish-w-Case/312205067629?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid =p2060353.m1438.l2649 The finish wear doesn't bother me. Looks like somebody took Mr. Monroe seriously and enjoyed this mule. BUT in the photo of the neck joint down in the body of the description it looks like a separation. The button is no longer lined up. Does that look like a deal killer, or is this something that is easily repaired.
    Last edited by tbrahan; Aug-04-2018 at 11:37am. Reason: Left out link, typo

Default Re: Gibson F-9 Neck Joint

Can't comment on your concern, but someone needed a pickguard, and they did a poor speed neck job.band their description of a bit of wear is comical. Still, if the price was right, I'd be tempted.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

It almost looks like the back might have been off and I'd be concerned about where the neck meets the body as well. The finish looks like it's been disturbed there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F9.jpg 
Views:	309 
Size:	142.9 KB 
ID:	169971  
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

4. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Teacher, repair person

After examining the original ebay photo, I am sure that there is an open seam.

My experience is that some mandolins will easily respond to a re-glue in this area. On others, it can be difficult to get a reliable bond that will hold over the long term. The remains of the old glue clogs the pores of the wood in the joint area, making it impossible to get the new glue to bond correctly. Sometimes it is necessary to separate the joint for several inches so that the gluing surfaces can be sanded down to fresh wood to get a good bond. I have seen this problem with old Gibsons and modern era imports.

Nobody can say for sure whether or not the ebay mandolin will glue up easily and hold for the long term until they try. If an initial attempt fails, it will require quite a bit of work to get a good glue joint.

I am not a luthier so take my opinion as such. That is a 2004 F9 and it looks like they removed the picture. I have a 2001 Flatiron Festival F5 with the some neck/back joint. I have had 2 1999-2001 Flatiron Performer A's as well so I am somewhat familiar with them. My Festival shows similar slight separation at the button. Mine is not as pronounced, is only on about half the button and does not continue to the back. I have had mine for two years and it is stable and has not changed in that time. I would be 100% certain that the back has never been off my Flatiron. I am not sure that the back has been off this one and it may not? Since this one is more pronounced and goes into the seam at the back it would be nice to have it looked at or at least a return privilege. Fit an finish on these are not like a Collings or Ellis and I think that may also have something to do with it also. With the finish wear which is major, the repaired headstock and your concern I think the price is fair but not a bargain. If it sounds great, setup is decent and does not need fret work, there is not structural issues would make someone a good Nashville Gibson mandolin for an affordable price.

Starting bid on that one is about $900 too high.
    This looks like an instrument to let pass by...
    Last edited by J.Albert; Aug-04-2018 at 4:42pm.

A couple of years ago Elderly had one for sale and the back button had the exact same look, like the lacquer had been disturbed by neck movement. But is was being sold as being in excellent condition with no issues. I sent an e-mail asking for them to account for the line, but they never answered me. I presume that’s because it sold very quickly. And my question became moot.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Thanks for the replies. I have messaged the seller but no response.

Odd - part of the 3rd fret has a flat square top with sharp edges like someone was filing on it, but the neighboring frets have smooth-looking rounded tops. I wonder if the 3rd fret was replaced and just crudely filed down in an attempt to get the mandolin eBay-ready? I do *not* think it's "just reflections". Click the pics enough times to make full size:

Magnified view:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fret-zoom.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	223.5 KB 
ID:	170011

Original view:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fret-normal.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	348.0 KB 
ID:	170012

OP wrote:
    "Thanks for the replies. I have messaged the seller but no response."

You don't want that one.
    Really...

Adrian Minarovic

I have repaired smilar problem on 2000's F9 and it was a mess inside (look for my older thread). Looked exactly same on outside like the OP mandolin. When strung up the neck went forward till the action was almost 1/4" when I loosened the strings the neck went back. Filler between neck and sides hiding pretty poor fitting etc... The frets were similar, some were filled with flats on top and barely polished over with sandpaper, very likely original as the nut was still finished over.
    Adrian

13. The following members say thank you to HoGo for this post:

I received a reply from the seller. He said, "This mandolin is currently under observation at a luthier." Now, that sound like one sick mandolin. Seller took the auction down.

Bravo for the seller.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Teacher, repair person

Quote Originally Posted by HoGo View Post
    I have repaired smilar problem on 2000's F9 and it was a mess inside (look for my older thread). Looked exactly same on outside like the OP mandolin. Filler between neck and sides hiding pretty poor fitting etc... The frets were similar, some were filled with flats on top and barely polished over with sandpaper, very likely original as the nut was still finished over.
    Do you believe that the mandolin left the factory with these problems?

Adrian Minarovic

Read here. You can see on the pics that the damage was not at all suspicious by just looking at it. Finish often cracks at the glue lines with no structural problems but in this case it was different story.
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...total-overhaul
    Adrian