Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: My mandolin got eaten by a Stratocaster.

Default Re: My mandolin got eaten by a Stratocaster.

I went the other direction. I started with electrics & stumbled down the 8 string rabbit hole just in time for the pandemic. Like most of my hobbies (obsessions) it started small. The KM-150 was my gateway mandolin & now I have a couple mandolas, a bouzouki, an OM and a couple mandolins with another arriving on Sun And then there are the electrics...to be fair, there was more running than stumbling down the rabbit hole

2. The following members say thank you to urobouros for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CES View Post
    I really wanted a Deluxe Twin Reverb 22 watt ‘62 reissue, but I mainly play at home and in church, and just thought it would be too much based purely on online research. Though I rarely go there, I hit Guitar Center so I could try a couple out. The youngster who jumped me when I came inside was actually very helpful. Told him I was looking for a tube amp I could play at home and church, no stadiums or big clubs given my talent level and day job, and that I wanted the Deluxe but thought it might be too loud, so I was interested in a Jr unless he had other ideas. I almost laughed when he set the master volume at 2, until I hit the first chord, and, man that thing is loud! I’ve gone as high as 4 when home alone (for a song or two), but 3 rattles the windows, lol, and any more than that for long and I’d need ear protection. My Red Dirt OD pedal works nicely with it as well.

My problem is my broad musical interests. If I just loved metal or blues or funk or punk or country or whatever, it would be a little easier to build a rig, but I’m all over the map, so I’m just keeping it simple and accepting some compromises. But, a semi-hollow PRS may be in my future...

And, yes, I’m very glad I have my Weber OM...
    Hi Chuck, It is hard to beat the Deluxe Twin amp with 22 potent watts! I have played one and it was amazing! I listed those I could barely move and afford. I guess I would say my realistic dream amp is a ‘65 Princeton, which can be had for around $800 used, I believe. I admire those PRS semi hollow guitars and that does give one flexibility in style and application. So glad about your Weber OM. Weber will be back, but it was hard to read that such a leader in domestic mandolin production was taking a year long hiatus.
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

Yeah, the Princeton’s are awesome! I almost got the Deluxe Reverb and one of the gadgets that cuts volume without killing the tone (totally blanking on the name, but demos online were impressive, but they were another 400-500 dollars. I’m very happy with the Jr so far, though.

The PRS I’ve been looking at gives enough sonic capabilities that I think it would keep me from getting three or 4 more guitars for specific purposes, lol

5. The following members say thank you to CES for this post:

cancel

Gave up mandolin for an electric guitar ????
    I’d see a doctor, something is wrong with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandoplumb View Post
    Gave up mandolin for an electric guitar ????
    I’d see a doctor, something is wrong with you.
    Did not give it up, just adding variety to life.

9. The following members say thank you to Caleb for this post:

AKA Billgrass

I stumbled into a opportunity buy on a Gretsch Chet Atkins. Put 11s on it and I just love the sound. Also my wife lets me play while we watch TV.
    Daily joy - morning noon and night:

11. The following members say thank you to Billgrass for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
    The Midlife Meltdown continues...

So first it was a Stratocaster, then a Les Paul, then a Tele-turned-Esquire -- all of which failed to make a lasting connection for whatever reason. The other day I came across one of the newly-redesigned Epiphone Les Pauls. I've always been a sucker for goldtops but had never owned one. We'll see how long this one lasts!
    That's a great looking goldtop Caleb! I also like what Epi did with the headstock on the new design.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kookaburra For This Useful Post:

My Mandolin got eaten by a Strat. Then the Strat got eaten by a Harp Guitar.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	553.2 KB 
ID:	194664

15. The following members say thank you to slimt for this post: