Thread: Hello, new here!

Default Hello, new here!

Hello, my name is Fabian and I'm new here. I'm bass-player, but I want do something with that pretty, little lady. My first mandolin, Ortega RMF100AVO.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ortega-rmf100avo.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	59.2 KB 
ID:	170207

Here my bass-solo, for bass lovers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBmAM8bgnws

Best wishes,
    F.

Default Re: Hello, new here!

Hi Fabian, and welcome to the Café! Have fun with your Lady :-) If you have any questions they'll be answered here ;-)
    Best,
    Martin
    Mandolins: 1920s (?) Meinel & Herold Bowlback, 2006 Furch "Redwood MA-1" A5

Octaves: 2004 Fender FMO-66 Flat-Top, 2015 A. Karperien 5 String Electric

Banjos: 2007 Gold Tone IT-250F Irish Tenor, 1963 Vega Vox No. 1 Plectrum, 2016 Recording King RK-OT25 Clawhammer

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Welcome ….. enjoy your new friend … R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Welcome to our wild, wacky world. That's quite a solo, nice job. Big transition from bass to your new friend. Enjoy the journey and have fun.

===========

Hello Fabian, and welcome:

I too stared out my 'career' as a bass player, and 20 years later stumbled upon the mandolin. It was almost comical to go from playing a giant-sized instrument with enormously think strings, to a practically toy-sized instrument with strings that seemed almost like threads, when compared to the bass. The interesting thing is that once I started playing mandolin, and started seeing rhythms, licks and melodies a bit differently, my bass playing improved quite a bit.

Play, learn, enjoy and keep us posted.

p.s. - It's nice to see that I am not the only electric bass player who is still playing a 4-string bass . . . .
    Last edited by MikeZito; Aug-14-2018 at 6:57am.

Can you sing ?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeZito View Post
    Hello Fabian, and welcome:

I too stared out my 'career' as a bass player, and 20 years later stumbled upon the mandolin. It was almost comical to go from playing a giant-sized instrument with enormously think strings, to a practically toy-sized instrument with strings that seemed almost like threads, when compared to the bass. The interesting thing is that once I started playing mandolin, and started seeing rhythms, licks and melodies a bit differently, my bass playing improved quite a bit.

Play, learn, enjoy and keep us posted.

p.s. - It's nice to see that I am not the only electric bass player who is still playing a 4-string bass . . . .
    John Paul Jones style!

Welcome to the café and the mandolin!
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

Blog Entries

Hi Fabian; Welcome! I don't play bass. Can't even read bass clef music. But it does amuse me sometimes when we refer to our G strings as the "bass string".
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

Hi Fabian! I play bass in an Americana band I am in but picked up mandolin to add some variety. The knowledge and friendliness here are second to none!

alteredrootsband.com

Welcome! Bass player here too, still working on becoming a mandolin player. I keep telling myself any day now... :-)
    Davey Stuart tenor guitar (based on his 18" mandola design).
    Eastman MD-604SB with Grover 309 tuners.
    Eastwood 4 string electric mandostang, 2x Airline e-mandola (4-string) one strung as an e-OM.
    DSP's: Helix HX Stomp, various Zooms.
    Amps: THR-10, Sony XB-20.

Hello, I'm new here as well, also a bass player (also four-string, primarily a Rickenbacker (occasionally other oddities, like an Ampeg AUB-1), with roots in rock and punk but now playing jazz and bossa). But I've long admired mandolin from a distance. I'm primarily attracted to Southern Italian folk songs (my great-grandmother brought my grandfather over from the Amalfi coast in 1916; perhaps there's some genetic memory at play). (I also love opera, and imagine that something like "Serenata d'Arlecchino" from I Pagiacci works well on mandolin.) I bought one of the cheap Rogues (replaced the strings, working on improving the setup) while I keep my eyes open for an affordable bowl-back. One of the things I find I'm having to deal with, besides the huge disparity in scale length, is wrapping my head around an instrument tuned in fifths instead of fourths. I'm probably best not even trying to relate between the two instruments, and just taking the mandolin as something new.
    --Bob Farace

Welcome Fab and you too Bob.
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life." --- Mongo

14. The following members say thank you to F-2 Dave for this post:

Farace