Thread: Visit to Apitius Mandolins, Outside of Toronto

Default Visit to Apitius Mandolins, Outside of Toronto

Howdy folks. I was introduced to Apitius mandolins almost two years ago with this post by David Benedict. Even though I had a perfectly suitable mandolin, I was blown away by the tone and ended up ordering one, and took delivery about 13 months ago. It is a great mandolin, with exquisite tone and fantastic workmanship.

As luck would have it, I had a niece getting married in Toronto last weekend, and took the opportunity to give Oliver a visit and meet him for the first time. His shop is a couple of hours outside of Toronto, but the drive was well worth it.

Oliver is as friendly in person as he was on the phone and in email, and even though I missed our first appointment (long story), he took time out of his busy schedule to show my wife, myself, and my in-laws around his shop. He has a one man operation, and makes the best of his space. I'm still in awe that I own such a great mandolin, and it was fantastic to meet him him person.

This is one of the great benefits of the Cafe, it gives us players a chance to learn about builders we'd probably never hear of otherwise. Now I have not only a great mandolin, I've got a new friend.

Pics, or it didn't really happen:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oliver.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	117.3 KB 
ID:	170268Click image for larger version. 

Name:	In Progress.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	299.9 KB 
ID:	170269Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Secret Stash.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	249.5 KB 
ID:	170270
    A quarter tone flat and a half a beat behind.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Austin Bob For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Visit to Apitius Mandolins, Outside of Toronto

the single best mandolin i ever played was an oliver apitius two point body A with some extra bling and a round sound hole, that was at the 12th frett, more than a decade ago. it was an astonishingly bright rich gutsy and balanced tome beyond anything else i ever played. it was his own sound as well, not just a classic gibson copy. alas i didn't have the cash at the time.

Hey Bob, thanks for sharing that with us. My son plays one of his older mandolins and he really likes it. It has everything you want in a mandolin including a great mature voice. It's a very versatile instrument and chords really well ~ I can see why Oliver has a jazz model in his lineup.

Glad you got to spend some time with Oliver and peak around his shop. I've only communicated with him via e-mail, but would love the chance to meet him some day.

Do you have any pictures of your mandolin?
    ... not all those who wander are lost ...

I'll help you out with John's request Bob.

https://www.instagram.com/apitiusmandolins/
    What is good Phaedrus? and what is not good? need we ask anyone to tell us these things?

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to O. Apitius For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Denman John View Post
    Hey Bob, thanks for sharing that with us. My son plays one of his older mandolins and he really likes it. It has everything you want in a mandolin including a great mature voice. It's a very versatile instrument and chords really well ~ I can see why Oliver has a jazz model in his lineup.

Glad you got to spend some time with Oliver and peak around his shop. I've only communicated with him via e-mail, but would love the chance to meet him some day.

Do you have any pictures of your mandolin?
    John, see Oliver's pictures, he's a much better photographer than I am. I remember the story of your son's mandolin, I'm glad he's enjoying his. It really is a top tier mandolin.
    A quarter tone flat and a half a beat behind.