Thread: RIP Billy Ray Lathum

Default RIP Billy Ray Lathum

I just learned from my friend, Leroy McNees an original member of the iconic west coast Bluegrass group, the Kentucky Colonels that his old band mate Billy Ray Lathum passed away this morning. Billy Ray was a hard driving banjo player who added comedy to the Colonels' act and later did a stint with the Dillards. Regretfully, I have no further details. RIP Billy Ray!

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to craigw For This Useful Post:

Default Re: RIP Billy Ray Lathum

That is sad to hear. They are one of my favorite bluegrass bands.

Blog Entries

That's a bummer, Love that old band! They had IT! Billy could smoke the banjo and sing some pretty high tenor. I believe no one can match that old White Bros. band for some serious raw on the spot playing, yep that live stuff was it.

Just go listen to the bit “A Girl Named Ruth” it’s KY colonels patter at its very best! I am truly saddened by this news!
    Thanks for sharing though.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

One by one we lose those influential musicians of a half-century ago.

Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Quote Originally Posted by craigw View Post
    I just learned from my friend, Leroy McNees an original member of the iconic west coast Bluegrass group, the Kentucky Colonels that his old band mate Billy Ray Lathum passed away this morning. Billy Ray was a hard driving banjo player who added comedy to the Colonels' act and later did a stint with the Dillards. Regretfully, I have no further details. RIP Billy Ray!
    Billy Ray was one of my dearest friends in the world. I spoke to him on the phone Friday night, because the thoughtful caregiver said she would put the phone to his ear. (I'm in AZ, not TN.) I told him I loved him, and that there were many people who loved him. The caregiver said that, at that moment, he opened his eyes. I'm pretty sure he heard me. The next morning, August 18, 2018 he passed away. We are uncertain about funeral arrangements, but I will try to keep everyone posted. RIP Billy Ray. I wouldn't be surprised if Billy's playing banjo at a heavenly hootnanny right now. He was a kind man, with a big heart, a great sense of humor, and a tremendous love of his family.

9. The following members say thank you to J.Albert for this post: