Thread: Mandolin Shopping

Default Mandolin Shopping

I'm thinking of taking up the mandolin. I started learning 6-string guitar, got away from it after learning chords and a finger picking pattern, and went to violin for a while. Got frustrated with the lack of frets and the unusual playing position and started looking for GDAE-tuned musical instruments. Found the mandolins I played at the time to be plinky and tight to play, and wound up with an Ibanez AVT1 tenor guitar.

As time goes on, the stretch of a 23" scale is getting to be too much for me, and I've been evaluating a few different options. Option one is to find a shorter scale length tenor guitar, but the Kala (at 21.5" scale length) is the only one I've found to exist so far, and haven't been able to find it in a store to see if the reduction in scale length is enough.

Option 2 is to hack together something. Take a baritone ukulele, about 20" scale length, and put nylon classical string guitars on it and tune to GDAE. Not something it's designed for, but a possibility.

Option 3 is to reexamine mandolins. I'm in Georgia, north of Atlanta, but the only music store nearby is Guitar Center. They've got two models on hand, an $89 Savannah and a $249.99 The Loar LM-110. They're not fast-moving instruments so the strings are old and crusty on both, although the Loar's was slightly worse.

From playing those two, the Savannah had a lower tension feel but tone was crap (subjective, and remember this is Guitar Center so lots of people thinking loud is good), string spacing was tight for my clumsy fingers. The Loar was more stiff, spacing was still a little tight.

From what I've read, the Breedlove Crossover OO mandolin sounds like it should be a decent fit. Wider string spacing for a clumsy guitar player like me, and an appealing shape. I've had my fill of fussy shapes and F-holes. Problem is finding one to try out because my wife would shoot me if I paid $500 + shipping on something I'm not sure will work for me.

Anyone in Georgia that can recommend a shop to visit? I've done the usual round of Guitar Centers, Ken Stanton Music, and Sam Ash. Something $500 or below, for a guy who likes to play Irish and classical violin music.

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Mandolin Shopping

My thoughts go to an octave mandolin but $500 is not likely. I think it will take a larger investment. I recommend buying used through the Cafe classifieds. Everything I have bought or sold this way has been done with a 48 hour trial period with the buyer paying shipping both ways if not satisfied.
    I have had good exoeriences except one sale where I sent out a nicely setup mandolin that the buyer thought he was going to do a better setup, totally botched it, and then returned it for me to have it setup again as it was before the buyer touched it.
    The good part was I eventually sold it to a drummer from a nationally known band.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

I'd be thinking about a Big Muddy flattop mandolin or something similar for your circumstances. Google or Facebook to see some. NFI.

Here's a link to a discussion of them.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

Note on the Savannah string tension. The lowest models are strung with low tension strings. Although the setup could be at play, I tend to think you were feeling the difference in strings. I have heard this exact thing before.

On string spacing: The LM-110 will be standard among 1-1/8" nut mandolins. To get wider, you will need a wide neck. As you mention, the Crossover will have wider spacing.

$500 is enough to get you a nice A-style mandolin, but you will have limited choices outside of a standard A-style with F-holes. Take your time, you will find "the one".
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

So there is such a thing as low tension strings? I liked the feel as it was easier to fret while playing, even if everything else was kind of wonky. I’m used to six string acoustic and for string tenor guitar so the pairs of strings are still a little unusual.

GHS Silk & Bronze are low tension and very easy on the fingers, plus they sound good.

It's about a 3.5 hour drive. Randy Wood's in Bloomingdale, Georgia. Should be all interstate 75 and 16. Call to see what he stocks.
    (912) 748-1930. Open 10-6 every day but Sunday.
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

Coming from playing the guitar, it took some time to get used to the higher string tension on a mandolin. However after practicing for at least 30 minutes most days, I don’t even think about that aspect of the instrument anymore. Didn’t take too long to get to this point either.

As long as the mandolin you’re purchasing is set up properly, and there are oodles of threads here about that, you should be fine.

Here are some stores within an hour or so from Atlanta; Blue Ridge music in Clayton, GA. Hootenanny Music in Jasper, GA. Blue Ridge Music looks like it handles Kentucky. Hootenanny says they carry Oscar Schmidt, The Loar, Morgan Monroe and Johnson. I'd call ahead and ask what make of mandolin they carry. Blue Ridge in Clayton 706-782-9852. Hootenanny's in Jasper, 706-692-1752.
    Right in Atlanta there is Maple Street Guitars. Their web page says they have a raft-load of Collings and Eastman in stock. Like 20 total. 404-231-5214. Maple Street looks perfect. You'd have quite a few to sample, get a price range and go from there. Good luck.
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)

Quote Originally Posted by thx712517 View Post
    I'm thinking of taking up the mandolin. I started learning 6-string guitar, got away from it after learning chords and a finger picking pattern, and went to violin for a while. Got frustrated with the lack of frets and the unusual playing position and started looking for GDAE-tuned musical instruments. Found the mandolins I played at the time to be plinky and tight to play, and wound up with an Ibanez AVT1 tenor guitar.

As time goes on, the stretch of a 23" scale is getting to be too much for me, and I've been evaluating a few different options. Option one is to find a shorter scale length tenor guitar, but the Kala (at 21.5" scale length) is the only one I've found to exist so far, and haven't been able to find it in a store to see if the reduction in scale length is enough.

Option 2 is to hack together something. Take a baritone ukulele, about 20" scale length, and put nylon classical string guitars on it and tune to GDAE. Not something it's designed for, but a possibility.

Option 3 is to reexamine mandolins. I'm in Georgia, north of Atlanta, but the only music store nearby is Guitar Center. They've got two models on hand, an $89 Savannah and a $249.99 The Loar LM-110. They're not fast-moving instruments so the strings are old and crusty on both, although the Loar's was slightly worse.

From playing those two, the Savannah had a lower tension feel but tone was crap (subjective, and remember this is Guitar Center so lots of people thinking loud is good), string spacing was tight for my clumsy fingers. The Loar was more stiff, spacing was still a little tight.

From what I've read, the Breedlove Crossover OO mandolin sounds like it should be a decent fit. Wider string spacing for a clumsy guitar player like me, and an appealing shape. I've had my fill of fussy shapes and F-holes. Problem is finding one to try out because my wife would shoot me if I paid $500 + shipping on something I'm not sure will work for me.

Anyone in Georgia that can recommend a shop to visit? I've done the usual round of Guitar Centers, Ken Stanton Music, and Sam Ash. Something $500 or below, for a guy who likes to play Irish and classical violin music.
    Maple Street Guitars in Atlanta looks perfect for some test drives.
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)