Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help me choose a F-style mandolin in the $2500 - $3500 Range

Default Re: Help me choose a F-style mandolin in the $2500 - $3500 Range

If I was in your shoes I'd buy a used Northfield. I've played a couple of them and was blown away by how good they were, and not just for the price. Maybe I just heard two realy good ones, but so far, I've been really impressed by their sound.

Wow! Actually just scrolled through the thread. A used Stiver F model for $3800?!?!?!

BUY IT NOW!

I played a Stiver last summer and offered to trade the guy my Brentrup on the spot. The guy refused.

Wow the classifieds keep getting in some nice mandolins in your range.......

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/128499#128499

NFI
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

3. The following members say thank you to Charles E. for this post:

And the Stiver has been snatched up, did the OP get it?
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post
    And the Stiver has been snatched up, did the OP get it?
    Cry... I was so CLOSE. Just got my paycheck, checked back into classifieds... and bam it was gone just like that.

6. The following members say thank you to Stehvia for this post:

I too have an Lm700 and will probably upgrade in a year. Please let us know what you bought and why. So I can live vicariously

I faced the same conundrum last year. Best I could do F style for 3500$ was Northfield and the Odd used Collings MF. Also Ratliff and Silverangel used. Went and sampled at Fiddler's Green in Austin. Went home and bought a Pava A used for less than $2000 from the classifieds. Now a converted A style player, but I still have an Eastman F for bluegrass performances overseen by the bluegrass police. Next step for me is 4-5K. Also a tough niche. So Pava F or Ellis A? What to do, what to do?

Quote Originally Posted by OlDanTucker View Post
    I faced the same conundrum last year. Best I could do F style for 3500$ was Northfield and the Odd used Collings MF. Also Ratliff and Silverangel used. Went and sampled at Fiddler's Green in Austin. Went home and bought a Pava A used for less than $2000 from the classifieds. Now a converted A style player, but I still have an Eastman F for bluegrass performances overseen by the bluegrass police. Next step for me is 4-5K. Also a tough niche. So Pava F or Ellis A? What to do, what to do?
    Hunt for a used Northfield Artist.

I have a Collings MF from around 2006 that is an absolute monster. I've played better mandolins, but they've been at least double the price. I'd seriously consider finding a used one as long as you don't mind buying used. I'm not saying they are necessarily the best in that price range, but if that were my budget, I'd try to play a few. I've played some that I wouldn't spend that much money on, but like I said, mine was a no brainer at the price. Buying instruments of this quality is a very frustrating process. It's scary to buy sight unseen, but it's hard to try a suitable sample size since it is such a niche market.

A used Collings MF is a great choice in that price range. I used to have a 2004 that was excellent. Wish I still had it.

Quote Originally Posted by geoffa View Post
    A used Collings MF is a great choice in that price range. I used to have a 2004 that was excellent. Wish I still had it.
    I agree with the Collings MF. It will not have the upgraded inlays, but should sound excellent. I've played many Collings guitars and mandolins and have never played a bad one. I cannot say that about any other brand in that price range. Good luck with your search.