Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Case covers

Question Case covers

Does anyone know of a solid alternative to Colorado Case/Small Dog case covers? I'm in the market, and they recently went out of business. I'm looking for something that'd fit a new mandolin Calton (from Austin TX). I've wondered about using viola cases, does anyone have experience with that? Thanks all!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Case covers

Northfield makes a real nice lookin case cover for Loar style Paganoni cases, Although I've never tried one as I have a supply of small dogs for my horns!

Are you discussing a case for your case?
    We are the music makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams

4. The following members say thank you to Roger Moss for this post:

Ethan, yes I’ve used a viola case cove from Morodian. It works pretty well but takes a little elbow grease to zip it around a Calton from TX. I did just get a new Hoffee case and ordered the accompanying case cover. I think Jeff Hoffee May have bought the small dog or CCC operation. A new Calton fits well in there though there is room for sure. But it’s a much better fit than a viola cover option.

If you want to try a viola case cover I’d be happy to work something out with you. I’m not using mine so if you’d like to test it out that’s cool, and if you want it you can have it very cheap.

I’d try hoffee first to see if he’s willing to sell one separate from the case. PM me if I can help. Good luck.

Chris
    “Without music, life would be a mistake” Neitzsche

Collings MF5-V
    Kimble A5
    An electric rig with an envelope filter trying to sound like Jerry...

Bobelock's fiberglass cases come with covers. I would bet if you contacted the company they might agree to sell a cover separately.

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

I got a case cover for my mandolin and it's so nice that now I want a case cover cover.

Seriously though, I wouldn't want a case that I had to baby so much. IMO what needs protection is the instrument,not the case.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paul Busman For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Busman View Post
    I got a case cover for my mandolin and it's so nice that now I want a case cover cover.

Seriously though, I wouldn't want a case that I had to baby so much. IMO what needs protection is the instrument,not the case.
    I mainly use my case without the case cover but every once and a while I want some thermal protection, or to use the convenient over the shoulder strap, or extra pockets, and you can slip a lot of sheets of music between the case and the cover.

Ethan probably has a better excuse to have one then most of us!
    I should be pickin' rather than postin'

10. The following members say thank you to dang for this post:

DougC 

Quote Originally Posted by dang View Post
    Ethan probably has a better excuse to have one then most of us!
    Can you consider me a complete dullard (not much of a stretch) and expand on that?
    We are the music makers,

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Busman View Post

I agree, why cover a case. My grandmother once bought a new couch. She bought a fitted slip cover and put on the couch the day it was delivered, then she bought a throw cover to put over the slip cover. She would take the throw cover off for important guest like the preacher, but no one living saw the couch until she had passed on. I think of that couch when I hear of some one covering a case. At the sale people remarked how good of shape that OLD couch was in. I think it brought $15.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mandoplumb For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Moss View Post
    Can you consider me a complete dullard (not much of a stretch) and expand on that?
    He tours with a band, he wins national mandolin competitions... I threw in the link to his website to try and be a little subtle about it.

Quote Originally Posted by dang View Post
    He tours with a band, he wins national mandolin competitions... I threw in the link to his website to try and be a little subtle about it.
    Clearly he us an outstanding performer. But why does that imply that he needs a case cover? Wouldn't he be just as good with a naked case?

I don't mean to be pedantic. I just wonder if a protective cover for the protective cover might be somewhat excessive for most players.
    We are the music makers,

Blog Entries

I love my Small Dog covers for my Pag and Original 30's Geib rectangular, well built and protects your case from scrapes etc.... + they come with a shoulder strap and an accessory pocket the length of the cover, lined with wool. way too bad the company is no more!

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to William Smith For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Moss View Post
    Clearly he us an outstanding performer. But why does that imply that he needs a case cover? Wouldn't he be just as good with a naked case?

I don't mean to be pedantic. I just wonder if a protective cover for the protective cover might be somewhat excessive for most players.
    I don't think it has anything to do with his playing ability, just that he probably carries a mandolin with him constantly and would find it handy. He is clearly not "most players." And he is obviously looking for one, hence the thread...

You seem to dislike case covers and I get it, but some of us like them.

19. The following members say thank you to dang for this post:

Mooradian will make custom case covers. The violin case cover the make are pretty padded and add a considerable amount of weight.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

21. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

I'm not here to tell anyone what's right or wrong. I happen to like having peripheral goodies for my mando too. Sorry if I came off as judgemental. The addition of a shoulder strap sounds good to me. It's just that the idea of a container for a container tickled me some.
    We are the music makers,

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mandoplumb View Post
    I agree, why cover a case.
    I recall wishing a few times that I had one when I had to walk across a large parking lot for a half mile in pouring rain.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

Quote Originally Posted by Mandoplumb View Post
    I agree, why cover a case.
    Added protection, extra space for sheet music etc., easier to carry ( shoulder strap and/or backpack straps), more forgiving on furniture, floors, vehicle upholstery etc.,keeps case in like new condition.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom Sanderson For This Useful Post:

I ended up buying a double tennis racquet bag for my old Gibson. It fit perfect and now when I travel I'll have a shoulder strap to carry it.
    1919 Gibson A3
    1920 Gibson A2
    1937 Gibson K1 Mandocello
    2015 Eastman Bowlback

27. The following members say thank you to John Uhrig for this post:

Blog Entries

Yep Agree Tom! If you have an expensive case why ruin it! Case covers are great added protection plus with the ole Small Dogs one can carry set lists, tons of strings well the list can go on and on!

29. The following members say thank you to William Smith for this post:

I can fully understand the comments as to why you should need a cover to put your case in. Case covers are virtually unheard of in the UK - or at least I've never come across one - so I suspect its a bit of a fashion accessory. The only covers I have seen are for fiddle cases. I used to play with a fiddler who first put his instrument in a cotton bag with a draw-string which he put in a case and the case itself lived in a case cover.

Never thought to ask him why and he died a few years ago so I suppose I shall never know. Maybe case covers originated in Russia as competition for their famous dolls!

31. The following members say thank you to Ray(T) for this post:

Blog Entries

I second the idea of a tennis racket carry case.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

33. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    I second the idea of a tennis racket carry case.
    I second the second.

And it eases airline carry-on; one glance and ya don't even have to explain that it's a musical instrument.
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

35. The following members say thank you to EdHanrahan for this post:

I've had a Colorado Case cover on my Calton for years. With the limited internal storage room, it is very nice to have the pocket on the outside of the cover. I also like the idea of the extra insulation from temperature change.

Such a pet peeve of mine on here that somebody will ask a very reasonable question, "Where can I get a X?" and they are answered by everyone telling them why "X" is not needed. Picks, case covers, capos, tabs, whatever.

To the OP, I'm sorry I don't have an actual answer, because I would like to know as well in case I ever need another cover.
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

37. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Drew Egerton For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Egerton View Post
    Such a pet peeve of mine on here that somebody will ask a very reasonable question, "Where can I get a X?" and they are answered by everyone telling them why "X" is not needed. Picks, case covers, capos, tabs
    I totally agree.

39. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tom Sanderson For This Useful Post:

I love my Pegasus cases;they have a nice deep,smooth finish. They scratch and chip easily; so,of course I use covers on them. After about 20 years of use they still look brand new. Almost.

+1 on the double tennis racket covers. so easy to carry.

I do not see case covers as fashion accessories. Cases are not cheap;why not take good care of them.

41. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to V70416 For This Useful Post: