Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would appreciate help identifying Gibson Mandolin

Default Would appreciate help identifying Gibson Mandolin

Serial # 812XX (Very faint pencil but visible)
    Appears to be vintage 1925.
    Number on neck block: 1198
    Neck is straight, action low and playable at every fret.
    Sound is loud and clear, no buzzing whatsoever.
    Instrument is not for sale.
    Would appreciate help in identifying the model, which is no longer visible.
    Also, does the hard shell case appear to be original?
    Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GibsonMandolin3.jpg 
Views:	340 
Size:	2.61 MB 
ID:	170689   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GibsonMandolin1.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	2.66 MB 
ID:	170688   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GibsonMandolin2.jpg 
Views:	298 
Size:	3.03 MB 
ID:	170687  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GibsonMandolin4.jpg 
Views:	278 
Size:	2.82 MB 
ID:	170690   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GibsonMandolin5.jpg 
Views:	311 
Size:	3.07 MB 
ID:	170691  

Default Re: Would appreciate help identifying Gibson Mandolin

A-2? Very nice. No reason I can see to think that's not the original case.
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life." --- Mongo

Is there anything visible to distinguish between an A2 and an A2Z?
    Would that make any difference from a value standpoint?

At least some of the images in the mandolin archives show an inlay between the rings around the oval hole on A-2Z's. I don't know if they all did. Yes it would change the value. A-2Z's generally command a higher price. Can you tell if there are numbers stamped inside the body of the mandolin? This would be the factory order number from which we could glean more information.

Oops. I just saw you already told us about the number on the neck block. Sorry. Someone more knowledgeable than me should chime in soon.
    Last edited by F-2 Dave; Sep-01-2018 at 9:19am.
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life." --- Mongo

Thank you very much...I appreciate any information!
    I love Kalamazoo Gibsons but have not had much experience with mandolins!

It looks like a fine A2 from 1925. Interesting, according to Joe Spann, the neck block number should be either 11198 or 1198 A, no?

It is possible that there might be a very faint A after the 1198 code on the neck block. Other than the Style ___ on the label, which looks blank now, is there any visible clue whether this is an A2 or an A2Z?

Blog Entries

Id say its one of those "A2-" They are and aren't an A2Z, conundrum yes, but it has everything the A2Z's have except for the extra binding around the rosette, Those ones are marked A2- whether they forgot the Z I don't know but I've seen these for sale marked as A2Z's. Strange YES but that was Gibson back in the days, so many configurations within the same model even same year!
    Very Nice mandolin even if I'm wrong? Case is original also.

Regarding the case; there is every reason to think it is original. It is not earlier than 1922, as those had a rivet in the middle of the diamond on the pocket lid. The handle has been replaced.

Steve

10. The following members say thank you to Loudloar for this post:

Teacher, repair person

I always find it amusing to watch folks make sense out of the labelling and specs of Gibson instruments. They simply weren't a very orderly company.

The way I understand it, the term "A-2z" was introduced as a catchy marketing ploy [A to Z]. So far as I know, the catalogs never simultaneously listed both models.

I think we can safely call any Sheraton brown instrument with a bound fingerboard and paddle head an A-2, and any natural or black instrument with double bound top, bound board, and snakehead peghead an A-2z. The rosettes can vary. What they wrote on the labels and in the ledgers might vary depending on who was doing the writing and how many cups of coffee they had that day.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rcc56 View Post
    I think we can safely call any Sheraton brown instrument with a bound fingerboard and paddle head an A-2, and any natural or black instrument with double bound top, bound board, and snakehead peghead an A-2z.
    Tell that to a prospective buyer.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Since I am new to mandolins, I want to thank everyone for their comments and expertise!
    I don't know that this will make any difference, but it appears that the Serial # is 81287.
    If the hallmarks of an A2Z are "any natural or black instrument with double bound top, bound board, and snakehead peghead", this one would appear to qualify...
    My understanding is that this instrument was tucked away for half a century, and to me it sounds like it wishes to make up for being ignored so long.
    Polkadude

Well, "any natural or black instrument with double bound top, bound board, and snakehead peghead" makes sense descriptively. But despite all the talk about "blacktop A2Zs," I've never come across one that actually had a Z on the label.

The FON is problematic. According to Spann, 11198A is a mandolin banjo and 1198A is a tenor banjo. 11198 (no A) would be from 1918 and that obviously doesn't fit. There are a few FONs from the end of 1923 that might work, 11980-11989. And most known A2Zs are from the latter part of 1923, so that's tempting. But the pickguard bracket and tuners on this instrument are not from 1923, and the serial number is from late 1926.

The last batch of A2Zs listed by Spann are from the very beginning of 1924. None listed for the rest of that year, or for 1925 or 1926.

The most logical explanation is that this instrument was stamped at the end of 1923, but is one of the many that hung around the shop for a couple of years, and wasn't finished and shipped until 1926. Given the color and the binding, perhaps it was originally meant to be an A2Z, but by '26 the A2Z rosettes and hardware were no longer in use. I sincerely doubt this label ever had a Z on it.

Does it make a difference? Not in terms of playing, but collectors will pay a premium of $2K or sometimes more for a bona fide A2Z, and from a persnickety point of view I don't think this one qualifies. But there is no reason it couldn't sound just as good.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Thank you very much!
    This is the clearest image of the neck block that I can get.
    All that is visible seems to be 1198...
    Are you seeing anything on mine that might not be as it was when it was first purchased?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GibsonMandolin7.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	572.4 KB 
ID:	170763

Teacher, repair person

I find it strange that buyers assign $2,000 to the presence of one letter on a label when the instrument is otherwise identical to one that is messing the letter.

But the vintage instrument market is what it is, and often doesn't make sense.

To the OP, as best as I can tell from pictures, the instrument appears to have its original parts and finish, except perhaps the bridge base looks a little heavy for the period; but it does seem to have a lot of age on it. A nice horizontal view of the bridge could clear up any doubts.

18. The following members say thank you to rcc56 for this post:

The bridge has PAT.MAR.30.'09 stamped on it, as does the pickguard.

Teacher, repair person

Then my guess is that it is probably original, though I can't say for sure without a good picture. At least one supplier is making a reproduction that has the same patent stamp.

The bridge looks fine and original to me. Reproduction bridges don't look like originals at all.

I think I can see the ghost of what might be a 3 after the 1198. That would be a late 1923 lot according to Spann. 11971 and 11991 are lot numbers from A2Zs recorded by Spann. So as I say, it's very tempting to think the actual number is 1198x and that this was at some point intended to become an A2Z.

If this had been finished and shipped soon after it was stamped, however, it would have different tuner plates, a different pickguard clamp and a different rosette. Here's the rosette from the A2Z I used to own (1923, SN 75651, FON 11949).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	75651_soundhole.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	74.1 KB 
ID:	170775

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Blog Entries

I don't know if we can go by tuner plates because I just seen from a collector a 23-24 can't remember the exact date plain A-1 black top snake head with original painted The Gibson script with the original engraved silver plated arrowhead Waverly tuners? Very Odd but original, Why would such tuners be on such a low end Gibson, I asked and he said for sure original and this guy knows Gibson's. with Gibson all was out the window?

The serial number is more of a giveaway than the tuner plates. There's a gap of 2.5 years between the FON and the SN on this instrument. And the later you get into the snakehead era, the less consistently the snakeheads conform to any given set of specs.

25. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post:

Snakes can be tricky. I'm seeing a 1923 A2Z that was shipped out in early 1927. Pickguard bracket looks replaced. Other stuff looks original. If it were mine, that's the story I would go by.

27. The following members say thank you to f5loar for this post:

The sound hole rosettes vary among the A2-Zs. So the mandolin at hand could well be one of those, especially since it has the inner black line in the body binding, which other A2s don't seem to have, except for #79869 and (possibly) others with similar markings. As for the Loar-style screw-in pick guard bracket, as far as I can see, other oval hole Gibsons around that time (of sale, 1925 that is - as indicated by the ser.-#) have the same feature. What makes you think of 1927, Tom?

Worm over cog tuners or have they been turned around?