Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Monel users.....

Question Re: Monel users.....

..."the Monels give me a sweetness on the A & E strings that I haven't been able to get with anything else. This have come at the expense of volume, but it is worth it to me".

I wouldn't expect a difference in the plain steel strings, only the wounds. What you say makes no sense (to me, at least). As long as these strings are the same gauges, they should be identical to the A and E courses in your previous sets.
    Last edited by Paul Statman; Nov-23-2018 at 3:25pm.

2. The following members say thank you to Paul Statman for this post:

Default Re: Monel users.....

Unless they are a different gauge. The Phosphor, 80/20, Pure Nickel, Monel, etc. only refers to the wound. Plain strings are pretty much plain strings.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

4. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by twilson View Post
    Do you Monel users feel like these strings give a little more than phosphor bronze strings? That is, do Monels seem a little less taut?

That’s what it seems like to me and I like it.

Thanks,

Tim Wilson
    Yes! And a slightly lower tension tone as well. I do love them, but we got to get 11.5 E Strings, cause I snapped the inside E but replaced it with an 11.5 and since then it has been solid. But yes, they are slightly springy, and I suppose that is probably why Sam Bush love them so much what with all the bouncy (read pull-off based) "Bushisms" he uses. These strings are very pull-off friendly.
    I have the D'Addario Monels and am shocked how much I like them. Blessings

Exclamation Re: Monel users.....

Quote Originally Posted by RustyMadd View Post
    ..I snapped the inside E but replaced it with an 11.5 and since then it has been solid.
    My E strings didn't snap, they just came unravelled at the loop end. You may find this hard to believe, but the second one began to come undone while tuning before a jam party, and by some miracle (of the mandolin gods) held up like this until I removed it the following day:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1470.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	147.0 KB 
ID:	172891Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1469.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	160.1 KB 
ID:	172890

Quote Originally Posted by mandopixie View Post
    My E strings didn't snap, they just came unravelled at the loop end. You may find this hard to believe, but the second one began to come undone while tuning before a jam party, and by some miracle (of the mandolin gods) held up like this until I removed it the following day:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1470.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	147.0 KB 
ID:	172891Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1469.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	160.1 KB 
ID:	172890
    Wow! "Missed it by that much." That is very strange indeed. Because I have NEVER had a string give at the tuning peg on my mandolin. They've always given out on the loop end or at the bridge crossing. But this monel set had the inside E string giveout right at the tuning post. I use the Martin method of stringing instruments so if mine slipped, it almost certainly was too short to put back on. None of the rest have slipped at all. Nonetheless, my 11.5 replacement has been holding well. Blessings

I have had that happen a few times over the years, with various brands of strings. Bad day on the winder at the factory.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Quote Originally Posted by RustyMadd View Post
    Wow! "Missed it by that much." That is very strange indeed. Because I have NEVER had a string give at the tuning peg on my mandolin. They've always given out on the loop end or at the bridge crossing.
    Mine were loop end failure, where the twist untwisted under tension.
    Does anyone remember the period (many years ago) after they stopped using red fuzzy stuff, they would drop some soft solder into the twist? I'd thought it odd at the time, but now I understand why they did it. Now I don't understand why they stopped!

10. The following members say thank you to Paul Statman for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Philphool View Post
    The A & E strings are still made of steel, are they not???
    Plain steel according to the web site. I’m using the medium plus set.

Quote Originally Posted by mandopixie View Post
    ..."the Monels give me a sweetness on the A & E strings that I haven't been able to get with anything else. This have come at the expense of volume, but it is worth it to me".

I wouldn't expect a difference in the plain steel strings, only the wounds. What you say makes no sense (to me, at least). As long as these strings are the same gauges, they should be identical to the A and E courses in your previous sets.
    The Monels are smaller-gauge on the A-string then my previous set, which were D’Addario Nickel Bronze Medium Heavy. This may be what I’m hearing. Checking each string individually it does seem to be the A that is contributing to the sound I’m liking so much.

About a month in on my D'Addario Monels;I like them better than I could ever have imagined.

Wish I had tried them much earlier in my mando journey.

14. The following members say thank you to V70416 for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by V70416 View Post
    About a month in on my D'Addario Monels;I like them better than I could ever have imagined.

Wish I had tried them much earlier in my mando journey.
    I have had a set of the D'Addario Monels on my Collings about 6 weeks. They sound a bit brighter than the J74's but have a wonderful warm, big volume and the tone has remained the same after all these weeks playing daily. I am sticking with them for now and am pleasantly surprised as well.
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

16. The following members say thank you to lflngpicker for this post: