Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Mandolin neck repair: the final solution?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Mandolin neck repair: the final solution?

Well it has been over a year since the repair was completed and I thought a follow up might be in order?

The neck repair has held up perfectly -- the action (both the G and E courses) has not changed. The neck is a flat as a pool table, the back strap is tight, and the mandolin plays very smoothly and sounds just great.

Here are three pics taken this morning.

I'm saying that it's fixed!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG2 20200105.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	89.1 KB 
ID:	182556   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG)1 20200105.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	130.8 KB 
ID:	182557   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG3 20200105.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	206.4 KB 
ID:	182558  

Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Nice work. Forty years from now some guy will buy it and post a message asking why it has a truss rod cover and no truss rod
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    Nice work. Forty years from now some guy will buy it and post a message asking why it has a truss rod cover and no truss rod
    LOL! If they get to the point of discovering there is no truss rod they will have had to have done something relatively catastrophic to that mandolin. You do raise a point though and I am thinking about gluing a note inside the f-hole explaining things, or maybe just little strip of paper with the url of this thread?
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

I have repair stickers inside instruments I have done major surgery to. It's not a bad idea.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

5. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Blog Entries

Well its been about 2 1/2 years since this repair was completed and everything is stable. The head stock intact, the fret board straight and level, the action is perfect, the intonation is right on, and it plays really well. I've been playing it for the last couple of weeks and it sounds and looks like a really cool 20s-era mandolin.

I have no need for it whatsoever and I probably should move it along.

But it would be hard to sell because it is so heavily modified. Still with all the reinforcements especially the carbon fiber bars in the neck and the fact that it is bonded with marine epoxy -- this mandolin could take a hell of a licking and keep clicking. It will not be affected by water. That epoxy is used to glue wood on marine applications. It laughs at heat and moisture.

It will probably be around for 100 years or more! Be very difficult to figure what it is worth so I won't bother.

Here is what it looks like now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gibson F-5 copy 01.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	497.2 KB 
ID:	201023   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gibson F-5 copy 02.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	201024   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gibson F-5 copy 03.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	201025  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gibson F-5 copy 04.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	680.9 KB 
ID:	201026   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gibson F-5 copy 05.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	294.5 KB 
ID:	201027  
    Bernie
    ____

Great looking mandolin you have there Bernie. I'll have to re-read this thread but thanks for the followup. Hope all is well and I vote keep the mandolin if it sounds good but it looks fine to my eyes.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

8. The following members say thank you to lenf12 for this post:

I went back and read the thread; it was before my time. I'd lean with Len and say keep it, but if you did decide to move it along, my bet is that there would be plenty of interest in a good sounding mando with that kind of character.
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar

10. The following members say thank you to Sue Rieter for this post:

Thanks, Bernie; just at the right time, since I’m about to fuss with my first repair on something probably valuable, a Calace from 1921 with a broken neck. The many tips and theories you encountered before starting work are quite helpful, and the belt and suspenders solution you worked out may, as you say, last a very long time. It’s good to know that, in this particular area, even the experienced folk are engineering on the fly rather than hewing to one established repair. It’s also good that sonic properties are unlikely to be altered here, and that success or failure will be obvious.

Blog Entries

Send me a pic Richard -- I will offer no advice because bowl backs are something I know nothing about. If you already have a thread on this please give me the link.
    Bernie
    ____