Thread: Dobro mandolin age?

Default Dobro mandolin age?

I have acquired a Dobro mandolin, a very nice instrument with a sweet, singing tone. The seller thought the instrument was built in the 1930s, but there is no documentation. I have seen Dobros discussed on the Cafe with estimated build dates ranging from the 30s to the 80s.

I don't know enough about these instruments to make an informed guess about its age, but perhaps some of the knowledgeable folks here at the Cafe can give me an idea.

Other that the "Dobro" decal on the headstock, I can find no identifying information on or in the instrument. None of the parts appear to be newish or obvious replacements. The tuners have no bushings and look much like tuners on other old mandolins that I have seen.

I'll appreciate any guidance. Thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dobro 1.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	533.9 KB 
ID:	171622Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dobro 2.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	18.8 KB 
ID:	171623Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dobro 3.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	162.0 KB 
ID:	171624Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dobro 4 .jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	239.3 KB 
ID:	171621

Default Re: Dobro mandolin age?

If the engraving below the bridge says "Licensed by National Dobro Corp.", as mine does, the instrument would probably date between July 1935, when National and Dobro officially merged, and WWII, when the company reorganized as Valco.

These mandolins in general had wood bodies built by Regal, and resonator hardware made by Dobro or National Dobro. Many of them had the "moon and stars" cover plate over the resonator cone; some had f-holes in the upper bout like yours, some had round holes with screen inserts, like mine. They can be found labeled "Dobro," with the lyre decal, or "Regal," with a blue oval decal with a crown.

I've not seen one with a serial number. If there were one, it would likely be stamped into the top of the headstock, which is generally where National serial numbers are found. Dobro and Regal weren't big on serial numbers.

Your tuners are a bit different from mine; my tuner "strips" are square ended, yours have the little "scoop" at the end. Don't know if this is a means of dating the two instruments. Other than the different tuners, and the f-holes vs. screen holes, your mandolin and mine are identical.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Default Re: Dobro mandolin age?

Thanks Allen. You're right, the cover plate does have the "licensed by..." statement on the cover plate.

It's a fine instrument, though it does require some careful picking due to the tight clearence between the strings and the cover plate. I have been lately playing sections from JSBach Cello Suites and it works beautifully. Also played in a coupla jams and the mando cut right through all that guitar strummage.