Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bridge fitting..

Default Re: Bridge fitting..

From Stephen Perry - ".. Need a slightly curved edge..". Yes,that might very well have been the solution Stephen. I tried to use a standard 'Stanley knife' blade - what you folks call a ''box cutter'' with a straight blade. I also tried a large,straight bladed scalpel (as sharp as you can get),again to very little effect - a curved, ''point contact'' blade or scraper would have done it.I have such a scraper in my toolbox,one that i made for scraping metal back when i was an engineering apprentice in 1962 !. That would have done it,but i never thought of using it on such a small item = a mistake. However,wet & dry paper did it as perfectly as i'd ever need,eventually. I had to contour the straight saddle as well,& re-cut the slots. It took me over 4 hours,but i enjoyed every minute of it. The result & satisfaction was it's own reward & i wouldn't hesitate to do it again if necessary,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Here is the scraper I am using most of the time.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8992.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	192.3 KB 
ID:	171781
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

3. The following members say thank you to Folkmusician.com for this post:

Hi Stephen - My own scraper is intended for metal,& isn't as curved,but it would have given me 'point contact',
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    Hi Stephen - My own scraper is intended for metal,& isn't as curved,but it would have given me 'point contact',
    Ivan
    I've not noticed wood caring what it's scraped with!

My issue is that I've not been able to get the control I want with sandpaper. No matter what jig or technique, when I chalk test afterwards I end up with excess contact in the center of the pads. So a scraper seems the way to go. Similar issue with flat scraper and with bridge knives for violin bridges.
    Stephen Perry

I just bought a Brekke bridg for my Collings A oval. I started the fitting, got intimidated, and arranged with the local volin shop (small town) to ft the bridge. I like the sound quite a lot. Richer, no real volume loss that I can tell. They id quite a nice job with the fitting.
    <><><>><<><><>
    Start slow, fade early

A couple of pics from earlier today. Done with sandpaper and scraper. The sanding portion is done with significant downward force to emulate tension.

First.. Properly fit bridge sitting on the top with no tension. Both feet have about the same gap. It is resting on just the tips of the feet.

Name:	IMG_9009.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	200.6 KB 
ID:	171979

Bridge under tension.

Name:	IMG_9013.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	190.0 KB 
ID:	171980
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

8. The following members say thank you to Folkmusician.com for this post: