Thread: A Question for the Theory Geeks

Default A Question for the Theory Geeks

A simple, two-chord tune: two bars of Cm, two bars of Abm (repeated for at least 32 bars). The tune feels like it's in C minor.

What jazz instructor Adolphe Sandole called the "harmonic line", the dominating melody that arises from the chord progression (eg what a saxophonist might play if he were part of a small group improvising a vocalist's accompaniment) would seem to be C to B (at least some of the time).

The Quandry: B is not a note in the Abm chord.

Solution 1: Rename the chord progression "Cm to G#m".
    Solution 2: Rename the harmonic line "C to Cb".
    (Solution 3 – write a new key signature every two bars – would probably look too annoyingly awkward.)

Which would you choose?

2. The following members say thank you to Jim Bevan for this post:

Default Re: A Question for the Theory Geeks

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bevan View Post

The Quandry: B is not a note in the Abm chord.

Solution 1: Rename the chord progression "Cm to G#m".
    Solution 2: Rename the harmonic line "C to Cb".
    An Abm chord is technically spelled Ab Cb Eb; the Cb is enharmonically the same as B.

If it was spelled as a G#m chord, it would have a B: G# B D#.

C to Ab is a more common way to express the root movement, so I'd use the Cb and the Abm version.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DavidKOS For This Useful Post:

I agree with you, but feel uncomfortable losing the resolving-leading-note thing (at least the way it looks on paper).

6. The following members say thank you to Jim Bevan for this post:

I agree with you, but feel uncomfortable losing the resolving-leading-note thing (at least the way it looks on paper).
    I don't see where that is really an issue with a "simple, two-chord tune". (although that doesn't mean it's simple to play well )

One other way to look at it is just spell the Cb as the enharmonic B and don't worry too much about it. Frankly most average readers would prefer to see it written that way, even if wrong by theory rules.
    Last edited by DavidKOS; Oct-22-2018 at 10:46am.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DavidKOS For This Useful Post:

Solution 2. Rename the melodic line C - Cb.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to David L For This Useful Post:

String-Bending Heretic mandocrucian's Avatar

Seems like it just wobbles back and forth between to keys, but I'd just notate it in Cm and use accidentals (Cb for the Abm measures)

C dorian > Ab dorian sounds good. Cm6 > Abm6 (||Cm - Cm7 - Cm6 | Abm Abm7 Abm6 || if you want some movement)

But C harmonic minor to an altered Abm scale(s) Ab Bb Cb Db-or-D Eb F-or-F#/Gb or G-nat sounds ok using chromatic resolutions (either up or down) into Cm chord tones, as if you were using a diminished scale. Cm > Abm > G7b9.

Does this have an actual melody? or it is just an improv vamp? The pitches in a lead sheet would tip the backup players as to what scale(s) are most appropriate while it is upfront. Fot the rides ...player's choice

NH

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mandocrucian For This Useful Post:

What melodic content there is, after a few repetitions of just the chords, kinda stays in Cm, sometimes clashing with the Abm.

I'll upload an mp3 of the section in question tomorrow (it's pretty late right now where I am).

14. The following members say thank you to Jim Bevan for this post:

Dave Sheets

Some jazz guys form "scales" by simply meshing two triads, such as C-Eb-G and Ab-Cb-Eb, as appear here in the Cm and Abm chords, together to create an alternative form of scale structure. It is called something like Abm over Cm.

Humans hear triads so strongly that these oddball mash-ups of normally "unrelated" harmonic structures still make some level of sense to people. I think I heard about this approach in some writing by jazz guitarist Mike Stern, he uses this tactic in some of his compositions and solos. It is moderately "outside" playing, just relying on the strength of triad structures.

In this case, they aren't completely unrelated triads though, since the Eb is shared.

Just listing the notes in the two triads, we have Cb-C-Eb-G-Ab, that's gonna sound vaguely Eastern European to me, you could rip off solos like mad using that combination. Must be a fun tune to mess around with. Add in a D and F or Fb according to taste.

What tune is this? Is there a recording?
    -Dave
    Flatiron A
    Way too many other instruments

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave Sheets For This Useful Post:

What melodic content there is, after a few repetitions of just the chords, kinda stays in Cm, sometimes clashing with the Abm.
    A deliberate dissonance or just not following the chord changes? no disrespect intended...I teach jazz improv and believe in following the chords.

18. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

Here's the tune – it's nowhere near as musical as you guys are imagining it . It's from a Globe of Death (motorcycles in a cage) act.

The form is a little different from the somewhat hypothetical tune in the first post – there's a short G following the Abm. So actually, you get Cb to B to C – progressively sharper outside of equal temperament.
    Like Niles said, it wobbles back and forth between two keys, but the Abm tonality kinda gets overrun.

The "guitar" is a Jonathan Mann SEM-5, through an Avid 11R.
    Attached Files Attached Files

20. The following members say thank you to Jim Bevan for this post:

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

why not call it a Ab2? or add the 7 (Gb) and call it Ab9?
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

Well, because it's not an Ab2 (or 9) – it's an Abm triad, there's a Cb in the chord.

The Cb is really the note being discussed here. I'm inclined to agree with DavidKOS – call it a Cb when it appears within the context of the triad (like, when the strings are playing it, which would also help the unrestricted-by-equal-temperament string players play the note flat enough), and call it a B when it appears (in the score) by itself, especially for the tempered instruments.

23. The following members say thank you to Jim Bevan for this post:

Dave Sheets

Thanks for posting the mp3, I like the mood in that.
    -Dave
    Flatiron A
    Way too many other instruments

25. The following members say thank you to Dave Sheets for this post:

Thanks, Dave.

I apologize for the time-zone differences – I can't imagine that this is something that one wants to hear when they first wake up.

This discussion points up some of the differences between classical and jazz theory; I have heard people say "no difference" but I disagree, with respect to both schools. In this case I would defer to the jazz experts, because my rigid AP Music Theory curriculum would insist on "correct" spelling of all chords (in other words, it HAS to be Cb, not "B"). But that is based on theoretically strict structural concepts, which are artificial in the sense of "artifice," not "fake." The fact is, all the Eurocentric theories were solidified at a time when Europeans believed they had evolved into the highest culture, and that "primitives" and "exotics" had not yet discovered the major minor scales. I still argue for consistent spelling of scales and chords that make sense, but I can't argue with a jazz expert who says:

The Cb is really the note being discussed here. I'm inclined to agree with DavidKOS – call it a Cb when it appears within the context of the triad (like, when the strings are playing it, which would also help the unrestricted-by-equal-temperament string players play the note flat enough), and call it a B when it appears (in the score) by itself, especially for the tempered instruments.

That's logical, consistent, and--unlike many strictly theoretical decisions--it's musical.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Imhoff For This Useful Post:

Moving to the chord a maj 3rd below reminds me of the intro to "Goldfinger" (which used major chords, instead of minors). The greatest Bond theme (with "Thumderball" and "You Only Live Twice" coming in 2nd and 3rd) rivaled perhaps only by the opening "Brian Song" from Monty Python's Life of Brian.

Here's the tune – it's nowhere near as musical as you guys are imagining it . It's from a Globe of Death (motorcycles in a cage) act.
    Sounds like Hawkwind-meets-death-metal... Not what I had expected. Is this something you are covering, or did you write it?

MY guess would have been some Peter Gabriel era Genesis (circa "Selling England by The Pound" \) or early King Crimson-esque prog-rock interlude. Or maybe a bossa nova or samba. & once I flashed on the "Goldfinger" link...surf guitar.

30. The following members say thank you to mandocrucian for this post:

I didn't write it, but I did compose the electric mando part (or at least arrange – I'm pretty much just doubling the horn line, trying to add a rock vibe, something alive and breathing) after the computer-generated track was recorded.

It's from one of those Cirque du Soleil shows (only, not actually the Cirque du Soleil – this is a separate/competing company owned by the guy who was the Director of the early Cirque shows), of which I'm the Music Director (which means that I run the band, re-arrange/edit the music to fit whatever semi-permanent changes evolve, and conduct the music enough to follow the action).

I wrote out my mando part (just 'cuz I write out everything I play), and that's when I started questioning what to call that Cb/B note.

32. The following members say thank you to Jim Bevan for this post:

How would this thread have evolved if I had started out with "Here's a two-chord tune: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CmAbaug2 for Cafe.png 
Views:	94 
Size:	455.7 KB 
ID:	172115
    What's the name of the second chord?"

...my rigid AP Music Theory curriculum would insist on "correct" spelling of all chords (in other words, it HAS to be Cb, not "B")
    We all think that way – I think that I boxed us in, in the first post, by saying that the second chord is an Abm ('cuz, well, it kinda is), and we all fought to get out of the box.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Bevan For This Useful Post:

If the chords were close-voiced, I would have used Cb for the 3rd for clarity of reading/notation. You are right about also having the chord name above the notation influencing the enharmonic spelling of the notation.

If the order of the chords were reversed, notation only, I might have notated them as G#-D#-B > G-Eb-C

my rigid AP Music Theory curriculum would insist on "correct" spelling of all chords
    Hmmmm…..According to the OCD "theoretical correctness" of the day, Ravel and Debussy were "wrong" half of the time. Oh NOOOOO...parallel perfect 4ths!!! What a travesty!

NH

(Just think how lucky you are not to be thinking about 1/4 tones!!! ha ha ha ha ha)

36. The following members say thank you to mandocrucian for this post:

Ya, prior to me naming the chord (and in doing so, giving it the full weight of European music theory), it was just sounds which my brain tried to organize into a triad. Prior to that, it was midi pitches in a computer, and prior to that, it was two black notes and a white note on a keyboard. We'd probably still have the discussion, though, even with no chord name, just the mp3 – what chord it is, how it fits in the key etc. We like to organize/categorize/define what we hear.

There actually is a kaval player in this band, and he's quite comfortable (and accurate) with his quarter tones – luckily for me, he hasn't found anyplace to put 'em, and I haven't found the necessity to transcribe what he's doing anyways.

38. The following members say thank you to Jim Bevan for this post:

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

Well, because it's not an Ab2 (or 9) – it's an Abm triad, there's a Cb in the chord.

Agh. Sorry about that.
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

Blog Entries

Because it is not complicated enough...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Makam#...Comma_Line.gif

Same notation does not mean same pitch!

41. The following members say thank you to Carl23 for this post:

Recent developments prompted me to revive this thread:

We had a flying guitarist in the show. He left months ago to join the Swiss army, and we just did without the "Guitar Hero" portion of the Globe of Death act (five motorcycles in a globe) since. The owner of the show (the third richest man in the UAE) wants the Guitar Hero back in. "You want us to just fake it, have an acrobat fly around pretending to play the guitar?" "Wasn't that what you were doing?" So, back in it's going, with me being the Guitar, and an acrobat being the Hero. I composed a fixed solo so that the Hero could get used to faking the same thing while he's upside down, and wrote it out for myself. Back to the original question: What to call that sixth-step-of-the-scale triad? What to call the third of that chord? As the chart shows, I went with Abm, with a Cb as the third. Pretty weird, though: going from Abm to G, I have a Cb going to a B. An untempered violinist might enjoy exploiting the nuance, but for me, it's the same damn note.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-02-25 at 11.43.54 PM.png 
Views:	74 
Size:	533.3 KB 
ID:	192293

I Milli Vanilli-ed the below-linked video so that the Hero could learn how to fake the solo (not my problem that he's playing a tuned-in-fourths instrument). The audio was recorded onstage (to have the official show sound) using a Mann SEM-5, neck pickup position, and a nice fat Blue Chip TAD-3R 50. That's an old Schwab in the video.
    And sorry for the video's long intro — I had to start it where that music section starts, so that the Hero would know when to come in (the guy needs some time to fly down from the rafters, into view).

https://mandoscales.com/theory/#Guitar-Hero-2021

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out: the original flying guitarist owns the act, or at least some aspect(s) of it (I know that a contract exists, but I don't know what it says). Swiss lawyers vs. Arab petrodollars? A planeload of Swiss Army troops (with Swiss Army knives, of course) against teams of mounted polo players? Stay tuned.
    mando scales
    technical exercises for rock blues & fusion mandolinists
    mp4 backing tracks & free downloadable pdfs

jimbevan.com

Blog Entries

The chart is perfectly sensible and readable. I would notate it exactly as you did.

Ab minor to G major is a cool move and not illegal.
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

44. The following members say thank you to Tom Wright for this post: