Thread: First post and a word of thanks!

Smile First post and a word of thanks!

Hello--I am new to this forum, but not new to the world of music and mandolins. I am primarily a fiddler, having played since I was nine. I have played for a long time in various local and regional groups, and have also recorded some. I am also a keyboard player, having taken both classical violin and piano as a kid and also into college and beyond. But these days I have been performing mainly with modern country bands playing fiddle, keyboards, and mandolin. I also played mandolin and a little guitar when I was younger.

What I wanted to say thanks about is all the forum advice on various mandos even before I joined. When I wanted to double on mandolin in a band setting I did a lot of research and decided on a Kentucky KM-1000 as my mandolin of choice. I got a really good deal on a used one, and after a few pickup combinations (Baggs Radius, K&K), settled on the Fishman M300 Nashville pickup. This combination, along with a very good Ehrlund preamp, has allowed my mandolin to be heard in a full band context with drums and electric guitars. I am really finally loving this mandolin for live performance and also playing at home. This summer I also bought a used Ovation MM-68, also for live performance, and have been somewhat happy with it as well, as it simplifies setup somewhat since it already has a preamp built in. It does have a very different sound from the KM-1000 as has been noted, but I think it still may be a keeper for a second mando and kind of a "beater". It seems pretty durable relatively speaking. It is also nice to have a slightly different voice for some things.

More recently I got a really good deal on a Kentucky KM-1500, and while I am still just getting it set up correctly. It appears to be an absolutely OUTSTANDING mandolin! Sustain for days, very loud, and very warm, clear tone and easy to play with the radius fingerboard which is a natural for me coming from fiddle. I was thinking of this one also for live gigs, but it is so good I may keep it purely acoustic for either recording or very safe and "high end" acoustic gigs, certainly not the bars! But I have to say thanks for all the advice given here which has led me partly to these wonderful and relatively affordable instruments. I think in all three I have less wrapped up in them as you would have in one Gibson F5, although I understand the differences. Thanks again!

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Default Re: First post and a word of thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by illinoisfiddler View Post
    It is also nice to have a slightly different voice for some things.
    +1
    I think if you're going to have a "beater" or some standby mandolin, it should provide a noticeably different voice that you prefer on some things. I don't really have a "beater" as such, because I'm not afraid to take my "non-beater" out and play it pretty much anywhere I want to go. But I do like having a second mandolin (I know, many of you are thinking, "two is not enough"). Of the two I do have, one is relatively inexpensive and one is moderately expensive for my lifestyle. The more expensive is of much better quality and a much lighter build - but I like them both for the different voices they have.

Welcome to the forum, illinoisfiddler.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Thanks so much! Really, I should say these three all have a slightly different voice, although the two Kentuckys are closer in sound, being Loar F5 copies I suppose, than the very specific and somewhat guitar-like Ovation. The Ovation is interesting in its own right, and surprisingly loud both acoustic and amplified considering its construction.

Ovation, yes, I remember their plastic bowl-back guitars, played ok, sounded ok plugged in, and bomb-proof, that was pretty much their brand identity as I recall it. Didn't know they made a mando.
    Davey Stuart tenor guitar (based on his 18" mandola design).
    Eastman MD-604SB with Grover 309 tuners.
    Eastwood 4 string electric mandostang, 2x Airline e-mandola (4-string) one strung as an e-OM.
    DSP's: Helix HX Stomp, various Zooms.
    Amps: THR-10, Sony XB-20.

Yes, for a while they made a very purpose-built electro-acoustic in the USA that isn't bad although certainly not an F mando but it has its own sound. Very feedback proof. Now the MM68 is made overseas and is reported to be not as good. The one I have is very nice except for a slight lift at the bridge, but the thing is 22 years old.

With both guitar and mandolin, I delight in having a variety of flavors available and pick one according to my mood. I'll play a fiddle tune, then swap mandolins and play the same tune. A slow piece by Turlough O'Carolan just fits the sound of my Gibson A1. My Silverangel does faster fiddle tunes with more power. My Arches kit will cut through a dense mix. LOTS of overlapping and no rules apply. It's a lot of fun.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Yeah, it is fun to have different instruments. It also, to me, is somewhat practical since I gig a lot. I don't want to gig in the bars and clubs with my absolute best, most expensive instrument. But I still want a good instrument. I also want a backup, in case one needs to go to the shop. That way I am not shut down for playing. So what I usually end up with is: a good main stage instrument, a backup to that, and a very good acoustic instrument only for recording or safe and high end acoustic gigs, or possibly lessons, only. With fiddle I have this, but one additional instrument, a 5 string, so I can have that voice and extra low string.

WELCOME to the forum!
    Hope you find much enjoyment, as I have...

Reid
    2011 Black A5 (#9) Mandolin
    1952 Gibson A-40N Mandolin
    1924 Gibson TB-1 Trapdoor Tenor Banjo
    1975 Gibson MK-35 Hybrid Braced Dreadnought Guitar
    1993 Washburn M3 SW/TS F-Style Mandolin
    2004 Martin D-16 GT Dreadnought Guitar
    2006 Martin DC-16RGTE AURA Dreadnought Guitar
    1997 Seagull S6 Dreadnought Guitar
    1970's Kay KB-52 5-String Banjo
    1960's Pirles 4-String Tenor Banjo

One thing I would not do is buy multiple mid grade instruments before I got one really good one. Of course once you have one really good one, you want another really good one, and another.......
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Blog Entries

Welcome to the forum Illinois. And I'm glad you found the Newbies group, too.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    One thing I would not do is buy multiple mid grade instruments before I got one really good one. Of course once you have one really good one, you want another really good one, and another.......
    Not sure I have multiple mid-grade instruments, but maybe you mean in general?

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

Welcome to a great forum of mandolin lovers ! Where at in Illinois ? I'm thirty miles South of Springfield !

Quote Originally Posted by yankees1 View Post
    Welcome to a great forum of mandolin lovers ! Where at in Illinois ? I'm thirty miles South of Springfield !
    I am 80 miles West of Chicago, near the Wisconsin/Illinois state line.

Quote Originally Posted by illinoisfiddler View Post
    Not sure I have multiple mid-grade instruments, but maybe you mean in general?
    Yes, in general, whatever the instrument, work up to one very good instrument, weather in stages or buying a Collings as your first instrument, before buying another.

A lot of times people buy what will be their "hazardous duty" instrument to get their feet wet and keep it. That's great, but then I see folks with a Kentucky KM 150, and an Eastman oval, and maybe a 700 series Kentucky F hole, and something else, when to me it is vastly more satisfying to have one of the many small shop high grade instruments. One man's opinion, strongly held.

Of course what is a very good instrument is a large sliding scale. To some it might be having an old Flatiron Festival to take places they won't take their Dudenbostel. To me it's having a Michael Kelly to take camping instead of my Silverangel.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Yes, in general, whatever the instrument, work up to one very good instrument, weather in stages or buying a Collings as your first instrument, before buying another.

A lot of times people buy what will be their "hazardous duty" instrument to get their feet wet and keep it. That's great, but then I see folks with a Kentucky KM 150, and an Eastman oval, and maybe a 700 series Kentucky F hole, and something else, when to me it is vastly more satisfying to have one of the many small shop high grade instruments. One man's opinion, strongly held.

Of course what is a very good instrument is a large sliding scale. To some it might be having an old Flatiron Festival to take places they won't take their Dudenbostel. To me it's having a Michael Kelly to take camping instead of my Silverangel.
    In general, I agree with you. I faced this issue with fiddle, my main instrument. I had about 5 violins and although some were pretty decent, none was really wowing me in terms of pure acoustic tone. I sold a couple and had to really bite the bullet in terms of $$$ to get a very good violin AND and very good bow. Now this is my main recording, practice and acoustic-only setup. To get better I would have to go into five figures for the violin and nearly that for the bow. I am happy. I have very good but slightly lesser instruments for stage and bar, fitted with Baggs pickups, and I am very happy with those also. With the mandolins, I feel I have some very decent instruments, and the only way up from here would be a Northfield or Gibson F5, but there is no way I am taking those to a bar, and this being my secondary instrument, along with keyboards, I can't really see spending more at this point unless my pay grade accelerates! But I do agree not to accumulate a bunch of mediocre or average instruments only to not be inspired by any of them. At this point I feel I have a couple of the best of the high end import mandolins, and one of the best USA-made, purpose-built acoustic/electric mandos. I am pretty happy for now.

Take it from someone with two pro string player daughters. I had purchased a viola and a cello worth $20,000 well before buying a good acoustic guitar for myself.

My cellist still uses the $12,000 cello as her "beater", likewise the $8000 viola is daughter #2's beater. And the three grand bows are an eye opener too.

The orchestral string instrument market makes the mandolin market look downright reasonable.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

The orchestral string instrument market makes the mandolin market look downright reasonable.
    Makes the electric guitar market very appealing. My pro-quality ‘87 Fender Strat was $400 used.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4