Thread: Bill Monroe by Tom Ewing - Book Review

Default Bill Monroe by Tom Ewing - Book Review

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9780252041891.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	66.5 KB 
ID:	172251

My review of Tom Ewing's new biography of Bill Monroe is now up on my blog. This comprehensive and well-documented work will stand as the definitive work on Bill Monroe as it combines thorough research with Ewing's own experience of the man and his music. It's a must read piece for bluegrass aficionados as well as mandolin players.

https://tedlehmann.blogspot.com/2018...d-of-blue.html

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ted Lehmann For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Bill Monroe by Tom Ewing - Book Review

I'm about 1/5th though it. Nice job by Ewing

Wonderfully written Ted. A worthy & well written appraisal of an incredible book.
    I have Tom Ewing's first book on the 'life & times' of Bill Monroe. That he could accumulate so much MORE information for this book,is little less than astounding !!.

I'm only a little way into the main text of the book,but the way that Tom Ewing puts it over,is almost like being there. It truly is an amazing book, & i'm sure that it will be THE definitive work on Bill Monroe's life & music for decades to come - if not for all time,as it richly deserves to be.

This book, & the book by Neil Rosenberg & Tom Wolfe - 'The Music of Bill Monroe',which thoroughly documents Bill Monroe's recordings & the band personnel with whom he recorded + the origins of many of the songs,are, i think,the 2 books that are ''required reading'' if you wish to understand the man himself, & the music that he bequeathed to all of us,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

5. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

I have "The Bill Monroe Reader" by Tom Ewing. That book alone is like a torchlight lighting certain spots in BM´s personality/life.

I am impressed by your write-up of Tom Ewing´s book. Well, I´m impressed by you travelling 200 days a year in all things considered bluegrass...

Food for thought, maybe for another article (thread derail allert): I have just watched your youtube video of "Maple On The Hill" by "High Fidelity". As you know it´s an old Carter Family song. It´s not very "standard". Many new bands play old songs very sophisticatedly. It seems to me that many contemporary bluegrass musicians have a very learned approach to old music whereas the "old codgers" did it in a grassroots approach, more intuitively. There´s a lot going on.

Keep going. I like to read your column.
    Olaf

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grassrootphilosopher For This Useful Post: