Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ellis Archive - We need your help!

Default Ellis Archive - We need your help!

I'm working on some Ellis related projects at the moment, and one of them is working with players to track down and document their Ellis mandolins.

What I'm hoping to do is get in touch with as many Ellis owners here on the cafe to work with them to get photographs taken of the instruments in a few positions, documentation on serial number and build date, and get them added to the archive online.

You can see what we've collected so far here.

In an ideal world, I would love to link to any youtube videos of your mandolin being played, or soundcloud files, or any audio recordings. The goal is to see and hear how these instruments sound!

For those of you who don't want to post publicly about your instrument, this can be as confidential as you like--just send me a PM and I would be happy to have an offline conversation.

We've got almost a dozen instruments listed right now, and many of them are thanks to the folks over at The Music Emporium (Thanks, Andy!). There are also a variety of mandolins from Cafe members in the collection as well.

I would love to hear from you, and I hope everybody will appreciate having some more instruments archived for us to appreciate and stoke our collective MAS with.

Cheers,

-Scott

P.S. If you are a passionate player of another small shop builder, and you'd like to see us have an archive for them as well--let's talk!
    Scott R.
    -
    2019 Ellis F5 Special #464 - Facebook Build
    2017 Pava A5 Pro - Autumn Burst
    1987 Flatiron F5 Artist

Want to list your instruments with galleries in your signature?
    Check out RuttList Instrument Archive to create your own galleries for free.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scott R For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Ellis Archive - We need your help!

I've already provided Scott with photos. & the build info. on my own Ellis "A" style. A Cafe member in Ireland & Trevor at TAMCO UK,have also done so. You can see mine in the link to Scott's website - middle one on the 'builder gallery'.

I'd urge any Cafe member with an Ellis to join in with this project, & help document the many fine instruments that Tom Ellis has built. Please be assured that there's nothing 'sinister' about this. It's a genuine effort to document as many Ellis mandolins as possible,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

4. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

Scott - re. your PS - there used to be an inventory of Kimble mandolins (run, I think, by Mark Daly) which disappeared. Maybe you could put Kimble on the “to-do list”.

6. The following members say thank you to Ray(T) for this post:

Does this include Pava Mandolins ?

Hi Scott, I play F5 Special #380, completed in early September 2016. This mandolin was the first place prize at the 2016 National Mandolin Championship at the Walnut Valley Festival in Winfield, KS. It's a standard F5 Special with a one-of-a-kind headstock inlay (which very subtly says "WVA 2016"). Don't really have any pro photos, but here's a contest photo and an up close of the headstock. There are a handful of videos on my youtube page (link in my signature), and this mandolin is also featured on Mandolin Mondays series #116. Cool project, I look forward to seeing all of the other beautiful Ellis mandolins!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Winfield.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	133.1 KB 
ID:	172494

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ellis Headstock.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	657.2 KB 
ID:	172495

2016 Ellis F5
    2007 Gibson Sam Bush
    1924 Gibson A Jr.
    1913 R. Calace Brevettato 900
    Espresso
    Youtube

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jordan Ramsey For This Useful Post:

Ivan, Thanks for the kind words! If you want to share your instrument in the thread here there is a 'Share' button on your page and a mandolin cafe code tab you can click on to copy and paste a thumbnail image and gallery link into the thread. I didn't want to 'out' you here, so I didn't share it yet.

Ray, I'm happy to set up Kimble as a builder on the site, could you help me with a short bio and photos of one of your instruments to start the archive for him?

Luckily this site parallels the kind of work I do for a living and we've got a good long-long term home for the archive.

Jordan, I would love to talk you through taking some photos of your mandolin to add. That is super unique, and super nice! The winfield mandolins are always special.

Davey, Absolutely this includes Pava!

--

Editing this to try to answer everybody in a single post--sorry.
    Last edited by Scott R; Nov-09-2018 at 11:43am.
    Scott R.
    -
    1987 Flatiron F5 Artist

Hi Scott - I've posted a link on the Kimble social group - let's see if there's any interest.
    Ray

12. The following members say thank you to Ray(T) for this post:

As for taking and submitting photos...

Here is an example of the listings I'm trying to create, this belongs to another cafe member:

https://www.ruttlist.com/builders/el..._deluxe/AVZrVX

In an ideal world, I would love to get the following photos

- Front - full top to bottom shot
    - Front - Body square straight on, full frame
    - Front - Body full frame, showing right side.
    - Front - Body full frame showing left side.
    - Back - full top to bottom shot
    - Back - Body square straight on, full frame, from the back.
    - Headstock front, full frame
    - Headstock back, full frame

- Photo of label and serial number if possible. (sometimes this takes a couple of photos to get all the parts)

What I recommend to folks is to use an overcast day outside and a black sheet or interesting darker blanket to lay the instrument on out in the grass. You can also do it in a bed, but the more light, the more detail you'll get from the photos. Phone camera photos are perfectly acceptable, and definitely preferred to nothing.

You can PM me for my email and email me photos, or I'd be happy to have you create a free account and add your instrument to your profile yourself.

The site is new, and might have some bumps in the road so if you run into any troubles let me know and I'll give you a call to sort it out.
    Scott R.
    -
    1987 Flatiron F5 Artist

Wouldn't Ellis, himself, be a source for this information?

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Mando For This Useful Post:

We do have a production history to reference, but you would be surprised how many builders don't take the time to photograph their instruments before they leave.
    Scott R.
    -
    1987 Flatiron F5 Artist

17. The following members say thank you to Scott R for this post:

Scott - for those of us who don’t use mobile phones, it might be an idea if you could specify the size of photo you’re looking for; i.e. dimensions, ppi and Mb/Kb.

Ray,

The ideal size is 4x3 portrait, but we scale and letterbox the thumbnails so any format can work. We will take the largest images you can provide!

Thanks!

301 from 2013 - A style. Sorry but I do not have any pictures at this time. I will post them when I get can get some good lighting.

Just wondering why my Ellis does not sound like Jordan's -at least in my hands?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R View Post
    Ray,

The ideal size is 4x3 portrait, but we scale and letterbox the thumbnails so any format can work. We will take the largest images you can provide!

Thanks!
    I can size them to whatever you’d like. Just thought you might like them “sized to go” to avoid having to re-save JPGs.

22. The following members say thank you to Ray(T) for this post:

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Northwest Steve View Post
    Just wondering why my Ellis does not sound like Jordan's -at least in my hands?
    Must be the pick . . .
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

24. The following members say thank you to pheffernan for this post:

I’ve got an Ellis A oval hole, #187-10. I think it was Mr. Ellis’ first oval and photographs of it are posted on his website. I’ll try to take some pictures myself.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Curt Palm For This Useful Post:

Baron Collins-Hill (mandolessons.com) plays a 2009 Ellis A5 Mandolin if I am not mistaken. I imagine he'd reply to any requests for any information-- he seem like quite an amiable guy.

And once the storm is over, you won’t remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won’t even be sure, whether the storm is really over. But one thing is certain. When you come out of the storm, you won’t be the same person who walked in. That’s what this storm’s all about.

Cotten Music has some nice pics of a recent F5 special. FYI. No serial number or date on the ad, but I bet the good folks at Cotten would fill you in on that and give permission to use the pics.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

Tenzin--thanks for the reminder. Baron sent me photos a month ago and I got them while I was on a trip, I thought I had already added his to the site but not yet. Here it is!

Ellis - A5 Deluxe 2009 [View On Ruttlist]
    Scott R.
    -
    1987 Flatiron F5 Artist

I've already talked to Kim, she will get me some eventually. Thanks Don!
    Scott R.
    -
    1987 Flatiron F5 Artist

I previously owned F5 #110. You can see some good pictures of it at the Carmel Music Website, as well as a few others. http://www.carmelmusic.com/stocklist...mandolins.html

Also, I believe it is 1 off from Steve Smith's Ellis F5, which is also pretty well documented online.

Just to make sure folks understand what Scott really needs for the Ellis archive,look here,at any one of the mandolins in the Builder Gallery :- https://www.ruttlist.com/builders/ellis Photos cribbed from dealer's websites aren't always good enough to show an instrument's attributes ''in full'' ie. photos of half a back /front/neck etc., aren't good enough. This is a serious attempt by Scott to catalogue as many of the superb instruments built by one of the finest builders on the planet,as he can - so camera's out guys !,
    Ivan

Here's mine - 20 minutes work https://www.ruttlist.com/builders/el..._deluxe/Ln5jv1
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Ian, here is a fancy 'share link' for your mando:

Ellis - A5 Deluxe 2010 [View On Ruttlist]

Thanks for contributing!
    Scott R.
    -
    1987 Flatiron F5 Artist

Scott, Thanks for posting pictures of my Ellis A5 Custom on the site. I appreciate having my non-standard custom Ellis included in a list with such great instruments. I have only had this mandolin a month and it isn't even broken in yet - getting louder and sounding better every day. I'm still getting used to her and I'm really enjoying playing it. I have been asked a couple of times if Tom and I are related and the answer is only very distantly. We can track the ancestors we have in common but it goes back several generations.

RL="https://www.ruttlist.com/builders/ellis/a5_deluxe/l61967"][/URL]
    Ellis - A5 Deluxe 2018 [View On Ruttlist]
    Slim Jim Ellis
    2018 Ellis A5 Custom
    2003 Weber Bitterroot Mahogany
    2005 Weber Alder II
    Gold Tone Mandolin-Banjo

35. The following members say thank you to SlimJim for this post:

Thanks Jim! Looking good
    Scott R.
    -
    1987 Flatiron F5 Artist