Thread: "The Kentucky" vs. "Kentucky"

Default "The Kentucky" vs. "Kentucky"

Hi there, I'm new to this forum so I send greetings to all.

I've had a Kentucky 1000B since 1995 and am curious about something. On the headstock, it simply says "Kentucky" where other Kentucky 1000s say "The Kentucky." What is the difference? I'll be selling soon, so I'd like to know so I ask a fair price. There are several other "oddities" about this mando. The perfling around the headstock is yellow and is double, which I haven't seen on others. Also, I had added a pick guard several years ago. Will this decrease the value? It was previously owned by a pro player who had the neck slimmed down for a smaller hand. Will this decrease the value? I basically have just played this without learning about it until now. I appreciate that there are so many knowledgeable people on this forum.

Thanks for any info.

Teacher, repair person

Default Re: "The Kentucky" vs. "Kentucky"

I'm not trying to be a smart aleck here, but the difference is the lack of the word "The," which is probably because of the age of the mandolin. Kentucky has changed details in their designs several times, and also changed manufacturing locations. 1995 can be considered quite old for a Kentucky mandolin.

Binding often yellows with age. The pickguard will not decrease the value if it was well made and carefully installed. The re-shaped neck might affect the value.

You'll have to get opinions from others on a realistic market value for a Kentucky that old. A lot of it will be dependent on its condition. A quick look for a current price for a new one from a reputable dealer yielded $1850 with case. There is a used KM-1000 in the classifieds for $1000-- it appears to be a recent model in excellent condition. If there is any collectors' value attached to older Kentucky mandolins, I am not aware of it.
    Last edited by rcc56; Nov-11-2018 at 10:36pm.

3. The following members say thank you to rcc56 for this post:

I think the earlier, 80s models just said Kentucky. Later models used "The Kentucky", probably in deference to Gibson model which say "The Gibson".

5. The following members say thank you to illinoisfiddler for this post:

A 1995 Kentucky would be quite different from those before and after. They are now made in a different country. Of the various KM-1000 mandolins, only the Japan versions have become somewhat collectible.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Folkmusician.com For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by rcc56 View Post
    1995 can be considered quite old for a Kentucky mandolin.

Binding often yellows with age. The pickguard will not decrease the value if it was well made and carefully installed. The re-shaped neck might affect the value.
    Thanks for the info! The store I purchased it from said the player who had it before me had it for quite some time. My recollection may be off, but I think he said "about twenty years," so it's more a late '70s model. It's in pretty good shape, with a few dings from a wild and crazy pick and some festivals, and has the original hard shell case. I had it set up by the 12th Fret in Portland.

Quote Originally Posted by illinoisfiddler View Post
    I think the earlier, 80s models just said Kentucky. Later models used "The Kentucky", probably in deference to Gibson model which say "The Gibson".
    Aha! This sounds right. As I stated to rcc56, this mando is quite a bit older than 1995, so this would fit. Thanks for your response.

Judging by the estimated age (ca. 197?) it's probably made in Japan. Because the perfling on the headstock is double, and the neck was slimmed down for a smaller hand, I thought it might have been a special order, but I have no proof of that.

Photos would be helpful

12. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post:

A photo of the headstock will tell a lot. The inlays can give hints as to when and where it was made. Does it have the country it was made in on it? Label styles may also tell or give hints.

14. The following members say thank you to GTison for this post:

pictures please, front back & the label on the inside.

16. The following members say thank you to mandolin tony for this post:

Future Mandolinist

Does it look anything like this one?

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...-era-All-Black

The Japanese-built early 80's mandolins did in fact say only "Kentucky".

18. The following members say thank you to JLeather for this post:

Sorry for the lag! I got taken away for awhile. (at work, not jail) I actually took these images back when I first posted, so I hope they are revealing of something other than cat hair on the background. I also could not see a label inside, and I seem to recall the vendor (Steve at Artichoke Music in Portland) saying something about the pro player having done something (??) inside to increase the tone (it has great tone) and the label getting wrecked, so I don't know when exactly it was built. I'll try to upload the images. I'm now getting around to selling it and would like to know what a fair asking price would be.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullMandoandCatHair.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	282.5 KB 
ID:	177725

- - - Updated - - -

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MandoTailPiece.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	237.2 KB 
ID:	177726

- - - Updated - - -

Name:	IMAG0450.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	229.7 KB 
ID:	177727

Name:	MandoBAck.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	277.3 KB 
ID:	177728

- - - Updated - - -

Name:	IMAG0431.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	175.0 KB 
ID:	177729

- - - Updated - - -

Name:	IMAG0429.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	297.5 KB 
ID:	177730

- - - Updated - - -

Name:	IMAG0436.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	177731

Name:	IMAG0440.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	58.5 KB 
ID:	177732

Hi JLeather, It's similar, but the perfling is a lot different, as you can see by the images.

Quote Originally Posted by MysticFiddler View Post
    Judging by the estimated age (ca. 197?) it's probably made in Japan. Because the perfling on the headstock is double, and the neck was slimmed down for a smaller hand, I thought it might have been a special order, but I have no proof of that.
    It may have been special order, but I have no proof either. I tried contacting the original seller, but he's not at his shop anymore. I wanted to add, that all the work I had done on it was done by qualified luthiers: 12th Fret in Portland did the setup and the pick guard was put on by a luthier in Salem, Oregon (I forgot the name of his shop, but it was a good one.).

Cut those string ends before someone loses an eye!
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MontanaMatt For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMatt View Post
    Cut those string ends before someone loses an eye!
    Heh. That's what happens when you use yer teeth...

===========

Mystic - that is one SWEEEEET looking mandolin!

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeZito For This Useful Post:

The "Kentucky" logo positioned high on the headstock face, the silver engraved tailpiece cover, and silver plated tuners reflect 1980s Japanese manufacture. Model KM1000B (black finish) was offered in the Mandolin Brothers catalogues in the mid 1980s. How does this mandolin sound and play? Best, Sam

Great looking mandolin you've got there Mysticfiddler!! I would think asking $1200 to $1500 would be a fair price range. The slimmed down neck profile may be a deal breaker for someone with large hands but that will vary among possible buyers. I have smallish hands so it wouldn't bother me at all. I don't need another mandolin however.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL