Thread: Mandolin Etiquette

Default Mandolin Etiquette

We are combing a couple of bands to temporarily play for an evening at a church. It's a bluegrass evening. There is a great mandolin player in the other band. I am a just rhythm mandolin player in mine. I have no desire to CHOP or take breaks for the evening. Is there an unwritten rule on one mandolin per state event? More than one guitar, and I know only one bass, but Mandolin....hmmm?

Default Re: Mandolin Etiquette

I would not worry about it, no hard and fast rules about it. Have a good time!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

3. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post:

I am no expert but I would just talk to the other mandolin player and let him know you are happy to just play rhythm

5. The following members say thank you to DaveGinNJ for this post:

Thank you! Sounds like it's not asking for the world and a quick chat is always a great thing. I'll check in with him.

I always say there are no rules for mandolins, (other than the normal rules of universal musical etiquette), but there sure are rules for bluegrass, methinks. (Height of your hat, width of your narrow tie etc.)(But what do I know? Less and less it seems.)

I’m a bit puzzled by your parameters though, if you don’t want to chop or play breaks during a bluegrass performance, what does that leave? Chopping is bluegrass rhythm style...but if there’s a more easygoing interpretation of a “bluegrass evening” at play, be assured there is absolutely nothing wrong with having more than one mandolin on the go. (Unless D Grisman and M Marshall are doing it all wrong.) I’m sure the player with the fancy solos will enjoy having you hold down the fort. Have fun with it.

Can you sing harmony? If you can, you will be very popular. If you can play root/five on a standup bass you'll be in three bands before sunset. But you'll never play mandolin again.

My point is if you'll be doing more of this, diversify, but more importantly, have fun. But I've found my mandolin shortcomings can be overlooked because I can sing.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1