Thread: What to look for when buying used

Default What to look for when buying used

I have been thinking to get a carved-top mandolin. I have a perfectly fine flattop, but my interests took an hard unexpected turn into bluegrass and I find myself wanting a more genre-appropriate mandolin.

My budget is CAD 1000-2000… I am not in a rush so I will probably keep an eye out for used stuff for a few months, before buying new. I like to try before buying, so I will stick to the “local” online marketplaces.

My question is - how do y’all experts decide whether a used instrument is free of issues? I’d like to think I can spot obvious problems - extreme warp in the neck, frets popping out, cracks, etc. But as for the rest, is there anything in particular I should be on the lookout for?

Default Re: What to look for when buying used

My advice, based on experience buying and selling instruments for a long time, is that if you aren’t sure you are really knowledgeable about the instruments, buy from the classifieds here and most likely a reputable shop and sponsor of this site or an active member you think you can trust, based on activity and posts. They support our conversations here and are, to my experience, the shops/people that know this instrument and can and will check setup, etc. Unfortunately, high end mandolins are really expensive compared to a lot of instruments (that’s for a number or very good reasons, but is reality). In your budget, I think you are likely looking at a higher end Asian instrument or lesser known domestic maker. This site and its sponsors are great resources. For me, the “one I should have kept” in that price range, if I’m converting currency correctly, was a Kentucky KM-1000. It would not be my number 1 today, but it was a solid mandolin for the price, and better than other, more expensive instruments, only available at a large budget jump.

3. The following members say thank you to TX2AK for this post:

kdlrd 

NFI

I had a great experience with a custom build from Roy A Gordon.

https://ragmandolins.com/home

I measured the neck of one of my favorite but worn out mandolins and he made an oval to my specs that I now use as my main mandolin. I sent a k&K pickup and a an Allen to be installed as well. Had him just spray clear lacquer on it. No stain.

My logic was why pay top dollar for a fancy finish on an instrument that is going to get gigged with outdoors?

Here's a used one from a very reputable seller.

https://www.montanalutherie.com/prod...tyle-mandolin/

5. The following members say thank you to steve in tampa for this post:

kdlrd 

Blog Entries

Buy from a reputable dealer or at least buy with an approval period where you can see how it feels in hand or have it looked over by a luthier or someone knowledgeable about instrument structure. Then you're only out shipping if it doesn't meet your expectations.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

I second RAG mandolins, I just received # 86, last Week, beautiful wood and great woody sound. He maybe running a Christmas special. As in fit and finish not perfect, but very well made.

If you already play then at that price point I'd say you'd be taking minimal risk if all these check out:

1. Does it play nicely without buzzing?

2. Straight neck.

3. Action height at the 12th is acceptable.

4. Bridge is high enough that you can adjust either way - a very high or very low bridge is a red flag.

5. No detectable separation of body seams or neck joint.

6. No major sinking of the top.

An instrument which is 10+ years old and still checks all these out is likely to stay in good shape unless abused.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ProfChris For This Useful Post:

Thanks everyone for the advice. One question I have is how "budget-friendly" domestic builders compare to import brands such as Eastman.

I understand that for many people is important to own a domestic, small-shop instrument (note: my current mandolin is a Big Muddy, and I like it very much). But, for folks that need to stretch their dollars as far as they can go, which one is the most sensible choice?

Teacher, repair person

Some may be better, some not as good.
    The quality of the visible cabinetry and finish work might be a clue to the quality of the inside workmanship.

12. The following members say thank you to rcc56 for this post:

kdlrd 

Blog Entries

Is it not possible to try a few out? See what you like. Is there a good music store near you? For that kind of money I would want to try it out if possible, and also have an experienced bluegrasser friend come to the try out as well.

If possible.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

14. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

kdlrd 

I think a used Kentucky KM-950 would probably fit the bill, if you are looking for specific instrument recommendations.

Otherwise there has been a lot of good advice. Only thing I would add that besides making sure there is no buzzing, make sure that you get a nice clean note from each fret. Otherwise the instrument might need additional work.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Flatiron 1N, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

16. The following members say thank you to Eric Platt for this post:

kdlrd 

There is value but also typically a little extra cost in buying from an established dealer - they will usually have gone over the instrument, applying more expertise than most well-intention private sellers. If you are concerned about not catching less obvious flaws, they will do it for you.

I've never played or seen a RAG mandolin, but in case you're not aware of it, Montana Lutherie (selling the mando in the link above) is run by Bruce Weber of Weber mandolin fame. I'd think you could be pretty confident that you are getting a structurally sound mandolin were you to purchase it They have a 48-hour approval period. (For the record, NFI on my part with either RAG or Montana)