Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mandolin all cracked up

Default Re: Mandolin all cracked up

If it were my children who caused such damage, the first words out of my mouth would have been, "How much do I owe you to replace it."
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a vet.

2. The following members say thank you to Roger Adams for this post:

If it were a good friend, I wouldn't let them pay. I would sure expect them to offer though!
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Folkmusician.com For This Useful Post:

If you get something nicer to replace it, don' be leavin' it hangin' on the wall no mo'.

Keep it safe in its case!

I would be willing to attempt the repair with NO promises. I am no pro, but aspiring with a couple repairs under my belt. You ship here and I pay shipping. If repair is successful, you pay to have it shipped back. No other strings attached. I hope this doesn't violate any forum rules.

Are those kids still alive? Sorry to see that complete disrespect.

I would be willing to attempt the repair with NO promises. I am no pro, but aspiring with a couple repairs under my belt. You ship here and I pay shipping. If repair is successful, you pay to have it shipped back. No other strings attached. I hope this doesn't violate any forum rules.

This!
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Ditto the above. I have a friend with an old Epiphone Caballero, the bottom of the sixties food chain. First I put a new bridge on it as the original was plastic. Some years later, I glued some loose braces. Last year I replaced the already replaced tuners with period correct Klusons, but the kicker was a crack down the fingerboard to the sound hole. All this I did for the practice with the understanding I was in uncharted waters. I also leveled and crowned the frets, and replaced the saddle.

Paying someone would have far exceeded the value, but it was a sentimental issue. I don't want to waste my time on plywood, but making this all hog guitar live again was good use of my time.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

A lot of instrument repair is woodworking -- glue, clamping, common sense, and the experience of knowing what the end result should be. Often, lack of experience can be replaced by patience and trial and error. Also, many amateur repairmen don't have the clamps or enough clamps do a job, but in that case some clamping can be done in stages. In this case, I don't think you have anything to lose and maybe something to gain by trying.

Quote Originally Posted by Willem View Post
    If the OP takes you up on your very generous offer I hope that you post some photos of the repair process.

Of course