Thread: Bad sounding notes

Southeast Vermont - take your pick of snow or ticks

Default Bad sounding notes

When I fret the D flat, sixth fret on the G string on my mandolin, it sounds like the two strings in that course are out of tune. It’s most pronounced there, but it happens to a lesser degree on other frets from there on up, only on what would be the black keys. Dampening the D string makes it stop. So, that D flat seems to be making the D string produce some tone. Same thin, but less pronounced, happens one fret over on the D string with same remedy by dampening the A string.

Any thoughts on whether this is something that can be fixed? By the way, it’s not because of old strings.

Default Re: Bad sounding notes

Sound like you have a resonate mandolin (generally a good thing), You may have to actually mute the strings with your fingers while playing

You may be able to lesson it, but again, a resonate instrument will do this.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

3. The following members say thank you to Folkmusician.com for this post:

Agree with Folkmusician on resonate mandolin being a good thing. A change in string type and gauge may result in an improvement if you are inclined to go to the effort. I would make sure the intonation is correct as a start to finding a solution. Muting the strings with your fingers while playing is a technique that can be developed. Muting the strings a bit at the bridge with the side of your right hand may also work.

resonant

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RustyMadd For This Useful Post:

Yes, it’s a very resonant mandolin, and I appreciate that quality. That said, that note sounds horrific when the D string isn’t damped.

Intonation is spot on. I’ve had three sets of different strings on and the effect is more or less the same. I like 40s on the G, but tried some 38s. As for muting, I’m afraid I haven’t got the chops to make sure - or even remember - to mute an adjacent string when playing just that fret, or the few others that trigger the same (though less) effect.

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Brian B View Post
    As for muting, I’m afraid I haven’t got the chops to make sure - or even remember - to mute an adjacent string when playing just that fret, or the few others that trigger the same (though less) effect.
    It's the kind of thing you'll do out of necessity and habit, the longer you have a relationship with that instrument. "Haven't got the chops ..." but, the brain and the fingers are miracle workers, it will become second nature and require no conscious thought or effort eventually.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

10. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post:

You might be getting sympathetic vibrations from the strings between the bridge and the tailpiece and they may be ringing the D strings. If you don't already have string dampeners between the bridge and tailpiece, I'd try that. A piece of leather laced through the strings or rubber grommets will do the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_al View Post
    You might be getting sympathetic vibrations from the strings between the bridge and the tailpiece and they may be ringing the D strings. If you don't already have string dampeners between the bridge and tailpiece, I'd try that. A piece of leather laced through the strings or rubber grommets will do the trick.
    It can also happen between the nut and the tuners. I have to dampen both ends on my Ratliff.
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MontanaMatt For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_al View Post
    That was the first thing I tried - Inshould have mentioned it in the original post. No change, but thanks....

15. The following members say thank you to Brian B for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Brian B View Post
    That was the first thing I tried - Inshould have mentioned it in the original post. No change, but thanks....
    I'd also check the nut slots. If you have any sideways play in them, you might get some unwanted vibrations

Yes, "resonant" it is. Thanks for that.