Thread: New Ellis F5 Tradition

Default New Ellis F5 Tradition

My new Ellis F5 Tradition arrived earlier this week and I have to say I am beyond impressed with this mandolin. Thanks to Scott Ruttencutter you can see pictures of it on his ruttlist website here:

Ellis - F5 Tradition 2018 [View On Ruttlist]

I have to say I love everything about this mandolin -- the shape of its neck, the EVO frets, the James tailpiece, the Waverly tuners, the side bound triple binding, and of course the sound and master-class workmanship. When you see the words "heirloom instrument" describing Tom Ellis' work, you can believe it.

I took it to its first jam session last night and was extremely impressed with its tone and volume for an instrument that has only been in my hands less than a week. The torrefied top certainly has impressed me with the maturity of its tone and volume. Can't wait to hear what it sounds like with some serious play-time under its belt!

Thanks Tom Ellis for curing my MAS (for the time being anyway).

When I get a chance, I will add a video or sound clip in the next couple days.

Peace,
    Todd
    Last edited by Todd Bowman; Nov-29-2018 at 2:25pm.
    ========================
    2012 Gibson F5 Master Model
    2019 Northfield F5 Artist 5 Bar
    2019 Northfield Arched Octave Maple
    2020 Northfield F5 4.0

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Todd Bowman For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Default Re: New Ellis F5 Tradition

Congratulations on the new Ellis! I confess to jealousy, envy, and covetousness. May your MAS-free hours stretch into days!
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

4. The following members say thank you to HonketyHank for this post:

And Here is a quick video of the Ellis F5 Tradition. Nothing fancy. Just tried to play up and down the neck and do a bit of chording, chops, etc.:

https://youtu.be/RFsxeCTdRGI
    ========================
    2020 Northfield F5 4.0

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Todd Bowman For This Useful Post:

Hank said it for me !. Enjoy the dickens out of it. Tom's my favourite builder & i can only dream of ever owning a mandolin such as that - however, my humble 'used' "A" style DeLuxe (also on Scott's listing) is incredible,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

I have an Ellis A5 which is fantastic but it became quite lonely so I adopted an Ellis F5 which is fantastic ! Great builder and person ! If you have never met Tom Ellis I encourage you to make an appointment with him and visit Tom at his shop !

Congratulations! That mandolin looks and sounds amazing. Is his traditional model designed to have more of a vintage, loar like tone than the normal more modern Ellis tone?

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Daniel View Post
    Congratulations! That mandolin looks and sounds amazing. Is his traditional model designed to have more of a vintage, loar like tone than the normal more modern Ellis tone?
    I didn't ask that question of Tom, I guess it might have been one of the goals. I do know that the torrefied top makes it sound much older than it is and is very close to the tone of my 6 year old Harvey Master Model. I think the Ellis is a bit brighter, but I would expect that from a newer instrument (torrefied or not). I'm glad I made that video so I can compare it a couple of years from now.
    ========================
    2020 Northfield F5 4.0

Wow--that video is fantastic. Thanks for sharing, great playing and I really dig the sound of the Tradition. Really crisp.
    Scott R.
    -
    2019 Ellis F5 Special #464 - Facebook Build
    2017 Pava A5 Pro - Autumn Burst
    1987 Flatiron F5 Artist

Want to list your instruments with galleries in your signature?
    Check out RuttList Instrument Archive to create your own galleries for free.

12. The following members say thank you to Scott R for this post:

Really great tone out of that Ellis. I'm a torrified believer.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

14. The following members say thank you to Don Grieser for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by tbown View Post
    I took it to its first jam session last night and was extremely impressed with its tone and volume for an instrument that has only been in my hands less than a week. The torrefied top certainly has impressed me with the maturity of its tone and volume. Can't wait to hear what it sounds like with some serious play-time under its belt!

Peace,
    Todd
    Hey Todd, where is this jam at? I'm just down the road from Crystal Beach in Clearwater and used to attend the sunset jam on the beach. I'd love to check out your Ellis in person.

Regards,
    Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

Quote Originally Posted by lenf12 View Post
    Hey Todd, where is this jam at? I'm just down the road from Crystal Beach in Clearwater and used to attend the sunset jam on the beach. I'd love to check out your Ellis in person.

Regards,
    Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

Hey Len, That one happened to be at the Ale and Witch in downtown St. Pete. It happens regularly on Wednesday nights 7-10 pm. I only make that on occasionally. There is also one on Thursdays at Woodrights in Dunedin and one at a trailer part in Largo on Sunday afternoons. Search for "Tampabay Bluegrass association" on facebook and you find a listing of a lot of area jams. My schedule doesn't allow me to get to them on a regular basis.

If you want to get together sometime just to see the Ellis, I'd be happy to meet you somewhere.
    ========================
    2020 Northfield F5 4.0