Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mandocello K-style build

Default Re: Mandocello K-style build

Here is part 18 of the Mandocello build ( The Voicing ) It sounds amazing! I also show the process and the why and how of what I'm doing in this video.. Also along side this post, Yesterday I uploaded the bridge video and you can find both links to the video here:
    http://www.hovingtoninstruments.com/...n-the-shopblog
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (63).jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	317.7 KB 
ID:	176583

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hovington Instruments For This Useful Post:

That is a great sounding mandocello!

I enjoy the logical approach you described while voicing the instrument. Thanks for taking the time to explain your thought process. The change from 432 to 440 was quite noticeable to me as an improvement in tone [even over my inexpensive computer speakers].

If I remember correctly from listening to earlier videos, this mandocello has more physical depth in the body of the instrument. Does that also contribute to the volume/airflow/tone you are trying to achieve? Perhaps that is why the voicing process you did was so important?

Thanks again.
    Mike

Those who think they should think, like they think others think they should think, need to think out their thinking, I think.

No envejecemos, maduramos. -Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by wildpikr View Post
    That is a great sounding mandocello!

I enjoy the logical approach you described while voicing the instrument. Thanks for taking the time to explain your thought process. The change from 432 to 440 was quite noticeable to me as an improvement in tone [even over my inexpensive computer speakers].

If I remember correctly from listening to earlier videos, this mandocello has more physical depth in the body of the instrument. Does that also contribute to the volume/airflow/tone you are trying to achieve? Perhaps that is why the voicing process you did was so important?

Thanks again.
    Yes, my Mandocello is quite deeper than the original and also is the width at the waist. My reasoning was, if compared to a Cello, the original was lacking in both size of plate and depth.

There is a valid point that some people made in other M’cello treads I have read in the past in regards to bass response. In this tread the person pointed out that bigger plates would lower the response but in order to have a good air resonance the depth should be less than the original. I am still curious about this but my curiosity and want of experimenting was towards bigger plates (waist at 25 1/2” x 21 1/2”) but also thicker body(3 3/4”), like a Cello would have been. To add more response, lengthening the scale was my option, since by lengthening more down pressure is applied to the soundboard. Adding the Virzi ( through my research hints at helping the bass response) and by voicing I was able to fine tune the air response.

The drawings I made for the Mandocello already have bigger plate and can easily be changed in regards to heights of the sides. So it is not out of the picture that I may experiment this thinner body in the future even if I am extremely happy with my Mandocello size and depth at the moment.

At this point in time I'm entering the finishing stage of my own Florentine Style Mandocello build. Which means that, although my build is not completed, I do have strings on it and was able to hear and tune the apertures.

A lot of interest was expressed as if I would make my prints available and I just added them to my website store. Both, full size paper and PDF is available.

The M'cello body is 15 1/2" wide x 21 1\2" long, sides are 4 1\8" with top & back plates, or 3 3\4" without them. It has a scale of 25 1\2" , has great response on the low and high end.

Here's a link for all interested builders out there.
    https://www.hovingtoninstruments.com..._Products.html

Also my YT link part 18 of the build where I voice the Mandocello.
    https://youtu.be/Wvmh7saLOOU

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hovington Instruments For This Useful Post:

Today I took the time to answer questions I received in regards to my Mandocello build.
    https://www.hovingtoninstruments.com...and-tricksblog

Name:	Screenshot (68)a.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	260.5 KB 
ID:	176721

that's a great sounding instrument, thanks for sharing!
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Egerton View Post
    that's a great sounding instrument, thanks for sharing!
    Thanks Drew!

Spent some time today experimenting with some possible colours for the Mandocello...I am curious, what is your favorite colour and why? Check the shinny colours..
    https://www.hovingtoninstruments.com...n-the-shopblog 05/16/2019

Name:	IMG_2912.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	831.9 KB 
ID:	176766

11. The following members say thank you to Hovington Instruments for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hovington Instruments View Post
    Spent some time today experimenting with some possible colours for the Mandocello...I am curious, what is your favorite colour and why? Check the shinny colours..
    https://www.hovingtoninstruments.com...n-the-shopblog 05/16/2019

Name:	IMG_2912.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	831.9 KB 
ID:	176766
    The one you have labeled as Tan to me looks great. On display it seems to make the figure look much nicer than the other two colors. I would have suggested a even more amber honey color if it was to be mine.
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

I was starting to wonder what color you would choose and the finish...didn't want to ask too soon. Not knowing your preference for the binding, I hope you don't mind if I qualify my color choice with binding.

First: I like the tan color and think it might look good [maybe even a shade lighter] with tortoise shell binding. To me, the instrument is really noticeable all by itself but I think the lighter color would make it stand out in any group of instruments.

Second: the russet color might look good with an off-white ivoroid/black/ivoroid binding...maybe as a way to blend in?

The chocolate color kind of reminds me of furniture...

Thanks for asking!
    Mike

Those who think they should think, like they think others think they should think, need to think out their thinking, I think.

14. The following members say thank you to wildpikr for this post:

Almost exactly what I was thinking. But I think either binding would look good on the tan color. Maybe best with a nice curly maple binding left natural but considering the dyes and finish that may not work.
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

Quote Originally Posted by wildpikr View Post
    I was starting to wonder what color you would choose and the finish...didn't want to ask too soon. Not knowing your preference for the binding, I hope you don't mind if I qualify my color choice with binding.

First: I like the tan color and think it might look good [maybe even a shade lighter] with tortoise shell binding. To me, the instrument is really noticeable all by itself but I think the lighter color would make it stand out in any group of instruments.

Second: the russet color might look good with an off-white ivoroid/black/ivoroid binding...maybe as a way to blend in?

The chocolate color kind of reminds me of furniture...

Thanks for asking!
    The colour tests today were done rather quickly and it is pretty obvious by the pictures that more sanding was needed.

As for binding, I already settled for a Black/White/Black binding. The matching b/w/b on the peghead is already done. I am wanting a lighter colour overall an Today’s test hinted that most people are thinking similarly. I posted this question on my Instagram, Facebook page, and YouTube and got similar comments and opinions.

The honey is very tempting, although I find, very hard to achieve on such a small piece of wood. I also like a deep rich reddish brown. I will make more test pieces and try mixing a few dyes. Hopefully when mixing the dyes they won’t bleed when I apply the first shellac seal coat..

Really appreciate you taking the time to write this answer, and explain your ideas..Not a big fan of the chocolate either

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by John Bertotti View Post
    The one you have labeled as Tan to me looks great. On display it seems to make the figure look much nicer than the other two colors. I would have suggested a even more amber honey color if it was to be mine.
    Thanks for the feedback, I will definitely make more test pieces and will try a honey colour on one of them. Thanks

18. The following members say thank you to Hovington Instruments for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hovington Instruments View Post
    The colour tests today were done rather quickly and it is pretty obvious by the pictures that more sanding was needed.

As for binding, I already settled for a Black/White/Black binding. The matching b/w/b on the peghead is already done. I am wanting a lighter colour overall an Today’s test hinted that most people are thinking similarly. I posted this question on my Instagram, Facebook page, and YouTube and got similar comments and opinions.

The honey is very tempting, although I find, very hard to achieve on such a small piece of wood. I also like a deep rich reddish brown. I will make more test pieces and try mixing a few dyes. Hopefully when mixing the dyes they won’t bleed when I apply the first shellac seal coat..

Really appreciate you taking the time to write this answer, and explain your ideas..Not a big fan of the chocolate either

Thank you!
    I like the black/white/black binding also and had another idea, but it may be too late for any consideration at all - maybe using the tan color for the back and sides and a lighter shade for the top?

Whatever you choose, I can hardly wait to see it...

Thanks!
    Mike

It's been awile since my last post... The M'cello build is still ongoing. Just a bunch of stuff kept me away from my shop in the last few months.
    here is a link to the latest video of the Mandocello Build series... I am now in the finishing stages!
    https://youtu.be/PBkUpPu_P_E

Name:	IMG_3603b.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	384.8 KB 
ID:	181175

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hovington Instruments For This Useful Post:

Latest video is up on my YouTube channel. Installing the binding on the M'cello.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfFk55yCwrk

Name:	IMG_5230a.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	466.7 KB 
ID:	181940

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hovington Instruments For This Useful Post:

Glad to see that you're posting again on this fascinating build...thanks!
    Mike

Just applied the seal coat on the M'cello and finally set my mind on the color for it. Follow the link to see more pictures.
    https://www.hovingtoninstruments.com...n-the-shopblog

Name:	IMG_5745.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	600.2 KB 
ID:	183303

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hovington Instruments For This Useful Post:

over a year ago I started my florentine style Mandocello based on prints that I’ve presonnaly made. so to be accurate I’ve started this build when I started gathering information about this instrument, size, dimentions, scale length, pro and cons etc… so in reality, I’ve been working on this baby for over 4 years.
    well last week I’ve finally did the final setup and call it a wrap. I’ve just finished the editing on the full build and i’m happy to share with you all here…
    let me know your thoughts!
    https://youtu.be/edIKJsldijY

Name:	Screenshot (77).jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	276.6 KB 
ID:	183874

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hovington Instruments For This Useful Post: