Thread: weymann mandolute replacement bridge

Default weymann mandolute replacement bridge

I was recently gifted with a weymann mandolute which had been languishing in the attic for
    far too long. Fortunately , it is not beyond repair. I noticed that the the one piece bridge was in disrepair and way too high so I did my best to sand the base knowing that a replacement bridge would be needed. however, I am having difficulty finding a suitable bridge. I am looking for a compensated one piece bridge apprx 1 to 1.5 cm high that i could fit to the top. I could not locate one online at stew mac, elderly`s or even amazon or ebay. I would appreciate if someone could direct me to a likely source.
    thanks
    mark

Default Re: weymann mandolute replacement bridge

Any compensated one piece bridge would work, but must be fit to the top. I would use a scraper and not sand, as it would be quicker, but takes more practice.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

There is an old thread about this very subject here: Question about Weymann Mandolute bridge
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Jake Wildwood used to make bone bridges, it is possible you could make one and send it to you.

Teacher, repair person

One can certainly be made-- I have made a few. A Weymann style compensated bridge is not very difficult to make, but it does require a fair amount of labor time. It would be best for whoever makes it to have the mandolin and the old bridge in hand to get the proportions and the height correct.

thanks for the helpful input. As the original bridge was too low on the treble side and too high on the base , I rotated the bridge 180 deg and sanded the base slightly to fit the mandolin top. It is now playable up to the 12th fret (limited by the neck bowing which I might tackle later as my repair skills hopefully improve)

Teacher, repair person

I just checked my usual suppliers. None of them carry one piece mandolin bridges anymore.