Thread: Mid Missouri/Big Muddy Mini Mo.

Question Mid Missouri/Big Muddy Mini Mo.

Been thinking of getting a mandolin for playing on my lunch break and dragging along to work. The Mini Mo seems like a good instrument for this purpose. Anyone here own one or ever played one?

Registered User Kay Kirkpatrick's Avatar

Default Re: Mid Missouri/Big Muddy Mini Mo.

I don't have the Mini Mo but we do have the Kid-Mo. Not at all the same, but in case anyone stops by here thinking you are asking about the small mando, I want to say that it is pretty great. It's my grandson's, but I enjoy playing it, too. I have never played a MM/BM I didn't like.

Never heard of the Kid Mo.

I have a Big Muddy, and it would be perfect for taking to work. I had Mike build one for me with a cedar top, over rosewood. I love it. Go for it!!
    Jim D

5. The following members say thank you to Jim DeSalvio for this post:

Caleb 

I have a BM MW-Ow that I think is fantastic! Haven’t played a Mini but I don’t think you’d be disappointed in any of their mandolins.

Registered User Kay Kirkpatrick's Avatar

To my knowledge, he hasn't made the Kid-Mos in years. Looks like a MidMo but has a bolt-on neck and everything is smaller but not as small as the old Holdrio piccolo in my profile pic. I happened upon it, new, in a repair shop with lots of different stuff.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kid-Mo.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	386.1 KB 
ID:	173381

Blog Entries

I love the MidMo and Big Muddy mandolins, Caleb. I just wonder if you might want to get one of the full size flattops since the mini has the bolt on neck. Maybe you don't mind that fact, but I was giving my input thinking that you would get a space saving mandolin as it is with the flattop and the reduced concern when compared to your Collings that you wouldn't want to bring to work. Sounds like fun-- playing at lunch while at work! You will probably get a following.
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

I recently bought an MM-8 Mini-Mo from Mike. I love playing it, and it's super easy to pack along in the small gig bag he sells for them.

10. The following members say thank you to Parker135 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by lflngpicker View Post
    I love the MidMo and Big Muddy mandolins, Caleb. I just wonder if you might want to get one of the full size flattops since the mini has the bolt on neck. Maybe you don't mind that fact, but I was giving my input thinking that you would get a space saving mandolin as it is with the flattop and the reduced concern when compared to your Collings that you wouldn't want to bring to work. Sounds like fun-- playing at lunch while at work! You will probably get a following.
    Good thoughts all. I don’t think I’d mind the bolt-on neck at all. I was mainly thinking of convenience, but the bolt-on issue is something to consider. It looks like I might be moving to a new area within my company, and a place to secure my mandolin during work hours might be available. If so I’ll just take along my Collings. Win/win.

12. The following members say thank you to Caleb for this post:

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

I love bringing my SA to work!... I have down time a lot and get to practice and play on lunch too. Sometimes I can convince othe folks to bring their guitar or whatever and get together and jam on lunch...

Good luck... I played a couple Mid Mo's in Carters back in Sept. they were great Little machines!
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 & #002: A double stack of Pancakes.

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

14. The following members say thank you to soliver for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by soliver View Post
    I love bringing my SA to work!... I have down time a lot and get to practice and play on lunch too. Sometimes I can convince othe folks to bring their guitar or whatever and get together and jam on lunch...

Good luck... I played a couple Mid Mo's in Carters back in Sept. they were great Little machines!
    How nice to be near Carter's! Wow, I would go on vacation just to visit there, though I will have to wait until Mrs. B is able or willing to drive me across the country.
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

If it’s done right a bolt on neck has no negatives. It makes a neck reset a trivial operation.

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lflngpicker View Post
    How nice to be near Carter's! Wow, I would go on vacation just to visit there, though I will have to wait until Mrs. B is able or willing to drive me across the country.
    ATL is still a 4 hr drive to Nashville... we took a weekend trip to visit so Carter's was deff-o on the agenda... Gruhn's too!
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 & #002: A double stack of Pancakes.

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous