Thread: Join the Oregon Mandolin Orchestra

Default Join the Oregon Mandolin Orchestra

Want to play in a unique community orchestra?

The Oregon Mandolin Orchestra (http://www.oregonmandolinorchestra.org) is looking for musicians to join, rehearse and perform with the orchestra.

The 25-member all-volunteer orchestra, based in Portland, is composed of first mandolins, second mandolins, mandolas, mandocellos and a mandobass - all the voices of the Mandolin Family. While eager to hear from all musicians, the orchestra is especially interested in recruiting more mandolas, mandocellos and another mandobass.

Since it was founded in 2010, the orchestra has put on four to six concerts a year, performing everything from baroque, classical, romantic, folk- and swing-inspired pieces to choro, Tin Pan Alley, novelty songs and Christmas carols.

The orchestra has performed in Portland, Vancouver, Salem, Hillsboro, Astoria, Hood River, Pendleton and Ridgefield, Wash., as well as playing the National Anthem before Hillsboro Hops and Portland Pickles baseball games. In May, the orchestra performed at the international BDZ Eurofestival Zupfmusik in Bruchsal, Germany.

Candidates are expected to have their own instruments. Reading music is a requirement.

Rehearsals are generally held in Northeast Portland, Northwest Portland and in Hillsboro.

For more information, contact the orchestra's music director, Christian McKee, at christian@oregonmandolinorchestra.org

Default Re: Join the Oregon Mandolin Orchestra

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OMO Christmas 2017.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	415.3 KB 
ID:	173489

I'd love to, but I live about 4 hours away (if the weather is good) and I still work full-time.

At four hours, you would have the PNW championship commute. We've had a couple of 2+ hour commuters. But you would take the cake.

If your life situation changes, I hope you'll keep us in mind.

5. The following members say thank you to rickbella for this post:

How often do you rehearse? I couldn't find anything on the website. I am in Roseburg and might be interested depending on scheduling. I could be the new PNW Communte Champion.
    Ocean Blvd - Funky Jazz (https://oceanblvd.band)
    Cosmic Ramblers - Bluegrass, Americana (facebook.com/cosmicramblers)
    HotQua String Band - Gypsy Swing, Latin Bluegrass

Main Mandos: Nashville Flatiron A5 Artist, Belmuse 4 string electric

We generally start to prepare for a concert by rehearsing every other Tuesday for several weeks. Then, we step it up to every week as we get closer to the concert. If you are interested, you should contact Christian McKee (listed above). He may be able to accommodate special arrangements. If you join, you definitely would be the commuting champ.

Atlanta GA also has a community mando orchestra that I believe welcomes all levels. Must read music I think and rehearses on Mondays. I've been tempted to join but I know I don't have the energy to commit. Like my wife says," You can do anything you want but you can't do everything you want."

I'll be living in Portland for the summer. I would love to participate in this!
    1940 Gibson L-4T
    2016 Martin TEN515
    2018 Poe Scout #76

Committing is tough. I waffled around until my now-wife asked me to marry her. Joining an orchestra can feel like a similar commitment. Maybe they'd let you sit in a couple of times to help you decide?

Bienvenue! Please get in touch with Christian McKee.