Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beginners, how many set up your mandolin successfully on your own

Default Beginners, how many set up your mandolin successfully on your own

I have Rob's e-book, and a mandolin here at home that is a cheap Savannah. It actually sounds decent, but to me the action maybe looks a little high. (I assume). I am sure the local mom and pop guitar shop set it up quickly and gave it a quick tune so it sounded ok, but I want to make my mandolin feel and sound the best that it can, but at the same time I am scared I will really mess it up.

Following Robs book, has everyone been successful? I am afraid I will take an OK sounding and playing mandolin and make it worse instead of better.

I know the bridge itself could use a hair work, as I can see faint light under parts of it when i hold it up. The bridge end of the fretboard strings looks high to me as well.

I want to get over the fear and give it a go.

Default Re: Beginners, how many set up your mandolin successfully on your

If you can find someone who will do it for you and really understands mandolins, take it to them. But no-one else will ever care as much as you do how well set-up your mandolin is. There's only so much damage you can do.

3. The following members say thank you to OldSausage for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by 93civEJ1 View Post
    I have Rob's e-book, and a mandolin here at home that is a cheap Savannah. It actually sounds decent, but to me the action maybe looks a little high. (I assume). I am sure the local mom and pop guitar shop set it up quickly and gave it a quick tune so it sounded ok, but I want to make my mandolin feel and sound the best that it can, but at the same time I am scared I will really mess it up.

Following Robs book, has everyone been successful? I am afraid I will take an OK sounding and playing mandolin and make it worse instead of better.

I know the bridge itself could use a hair work, as I can see faint light under parts of it when i hold it up. The bridge end of the fretboard strings looks high to me as well.

I want to get over the fear and give it a go.
    Just take it slow and you'll be fine. Its not that hard. To me the hardest part was having the patience to frequently stop sanding/filing and check measurements

5. The following members say thank you to DaveGinNJ for this post:

I am very mechanically inclined / skilled. Just havent taken the time to do it yet.

Yes, the net result was it made me sell the mandolin.

Simply lowering the action and setting the intonation made it playable and turned me from the point of being about to give up to making want an upgrade!

But, seriously, instructions were easy to follow and changed the instrument.

I love Rob's ebook, but there are certain things I'm not yet willing to do to my mandolin. I won't adjust the nut slots, but I have fixed the intonation (it was way off), replaced strings, muted the tail piece. I'm trying to work up the courage to do some work on the bridge, which was cranked all the way down when I bought it.

Fortunately there's a mando luthier relatively close who offered to take a look at it with me, so I can see exactly what needs to be done and maybe get some hands on experience under his supervision.
    The Loar LM-220 VS

I must say I was only partially successful. And like OneChordTrick said, it made me sell the mandolin and upgrade.

It is a great learning experience to do whatever you are capable of doing. While it is easy to follow directions, there are certain things like how much relief to give a neck with your truss rod adjustment, how deep to cut a nut slot, the proper break angle on the saddle slots that take some experience. Still, I'd suggest go ahead and try it, you will learn a lot from the experience.

You say "(I assume)" that the action is high, that should give some pause to your plans. Before you start, establish some benchmark to determine a target to work towards. What should the height at the twelfth fret be? For a low action, suitable for a beginner (get searching in the café forums!) Measure and record what the height is currently, and your opinion on what makes it hard/easy to play. Now you have some good data to compare against, to evaluate your setup efforts. Even if you miss your target, and can't get the action any lower due to a cheaply made product, you have more data to attack that "I assume" doubt.

I wouldn't spend any money on setups for a $300 dollar mandolin. Do it yourself. I took a Gretsch New Yorker in for a setup, spent 60$, and it wasn't any easier to play. I took advantage of Rob's setup book and learned on an Eastman 315, and ended up with a low action that buzzed on the G string a bit. I made the bridge full contact, and it was a bit too thin. Later, I had other people do setups on the Collings MT and Webber F Bitterroot, and still didn't have enough experience to say anything other than "I like the action a bit low" when asked. Truss rods were something magical and untouchable, as I still can't look down a neck and determine if it has the proper relief. They all look pretty damn flat to me.

When you do get a nicer mandolin, at some point, treat yourself to a nice setup from a good luthier. Ask questions, learn from their experience. Use this setup to establish a good benchmark as to how the instrument should play with your preferred action. Take measurements to see what the string height is down the neck. After spending hundreds of dollars on setup work, I think I am now at the point where I can confidently adjust the truss rod, do minor tweaks, and evaluate the condition of my two remaining mandolins.
    Girouard Custom Studio A Oval
    P.W. Crump OM-III

Do yourself a favor and buy some real nut files. Rob's ebook is great, but you'll have a much easier time adjusting the nut slots with the proper tools.

Blog Entries

I had moderate success. Was able to make the instrument sound better... by at least a little bit.

Will be intersting to see the difference once I get a professional setup.

c
    "The Loar" LM-520
    Ludwig & Ludwig 8-370X Marimba
    Slingerland Modified Drumset
    Hand made profesional djembes from Guinea and Maili West Africa
    and toys... lots and lots of toys.

Hey... I have a blog here!
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/blogs/53556
    Feel free to stop on by and let me know what you think!

I am not a beginner but after reading the above post I'll offer some advice. Set up doesn't have to be a one time thing. When I started setting up my mandolin ( close to 50 years ago) I didn't have Rob's book, or a lot of money to pay someone to set up my mandolin. Also I was egotistical enough to think no one could get it exactly like I wanted but me. I'd do something and it would work or it wouldn't. If it didn't I'd do something else. Mypoint is keep trying different things or even the same thing until you are satisfied. Yes it's work but it makes your mandolin truly yours.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSausage View Post
    If you can find someone who will do it for you and really understands mandolins, take it to them. But no-one else will ever care as much as you do how well set-up your mandolin is. There's only so much damage you can do.
    I was lucky enough to find someone who knows what he's doing and cares deeply about how well something is set up. I figure I am much better off ceding setup and repair to someone who has the expertise—not to mention the tools and supplies—rather than hacking away at it myself.

I'm not particularly mechanical, but I did successfully raise the action a little bit when I had some buzzing on the upper frets on one side. I have also changed the strings successfully and put the bridge in the right place. It's not really that hard to do these things. Maybe the bridge placement is hard because it's hard to know where to measure the distance.

Blog Entries

Given your statement that you do feel 'mechanically inclined', I add my vote for the "have at it" party. Don't worry, don't sweat, have fun learning first hand what parts of the setup affect which playing characteristic. You are not going to turn your Savannah into a Gilchrist, but neither are you going to turn it into kindling. I did it on my first mandolin (The Loar 220) and on a Rogue I bought for a kid down the street. Both are much better for having done it. I admit to being nervous on my The Loar, but after that, I haven't even thought twice about tweaking setups on a couple of mandolins worth many times as much as those guys put together.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

I used Rob's ebook for my lesser mandolin. It plays very good now.
    My main mandolin is luthier built and arrived with a perfect setup.
    Actually, if I had Rob's ebook in the late 1980ies when I baught my first mandolin, I might not even had looked for a second and third mandolin. But Tim Bernes-Lee had not even invented the WWW back then ;-)

If you are mechanically inclined give it a go. There is not much damage you could do, and the upside is significant. Do have three or four e strings in reserve as tuning up to pitch can be rough on them. A well fitting bridge and well cut nut slots will do wonders. Also have some superglue on hand so you can fill the slot if you go too low.

Another handy supply is graphite paper and some single edge razor blades. You can make a dandy scraper if you run a round file over the blade at an angle. Rub the bridge on the top with the paper face up, and scrape where it marks the bridge. Faster than doing it all with sandpaper.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Blog Entries

Here is my contrarian opinion. Not contrary actually.

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/e...to-Do-a-Set-Up

It comes down to this, in my very humble opinion, do you want to build kites, or fly kites, or both. Do you want to learn how to adjust the carburetor and all about small engine maintenance, or do you want to mow the lawn, or both.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

19. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

I'd say I've had success. I got Rob's book, but I also watched several YT videos. My Rogue is now much easier to play (lowered the action at the nut and bridge and intonated the bridge). It really isn't rocket science. On a Rogue, there isn't much to lose. I haven't yet seen the need to level the frets, or even checked if they need it. I've had the thing now for several weeks and am too busy playing it.

That said, I am mechanically inclined. I do pretty much all my own repairs on my cars, house and electronic equipment, as well as set up my guitars and ukuleles and do some woodworking. I have a lot of tools in my garage. Back when the dinosaurs roamed the earth, I got an engineering degree, because I enjoy knowing how things are built and what makes them tick. With those experiences, this isn't my first rodeo. As JeffD says above, I enjoy both building the kites and flying them.

I am awaiting a back-ordered Kentucky KM252. When it gets here, I have decided to pay a local custom mandolin builder to set it up. The cost ( about $50) is small compared to the amount of work. I am eager to compare the sound and playability of an amateurish setup on a plywood instrument to a professional setup on a solid wood respected but still beginner instrument.
    Last edited by Smyrna5; Dec-22-2018 at 8:59pm.

I bought one setup well from the mandolinstore, subsequently I learned to do it on my own. I am still learning exactly what I want in a mandolin both sound and feel.
    Davey Stuart tenor guitar (based on his 18" mandola design).
    Eastman MD-604SB with Grover 309 tuners.
    Eastwood 4 string electric mandostang, 2x Airline e-mandola (4-string) one strung as an e-OM.
    DSP's: Helix HX Stomp, various Zooms.
    Amps: THR-10, Sony XB-20.

I got Rob's ebook, then the Rogue. I set mine up with no problem. I learned a lot in the process even though I've tinkered quite a bit with dulcimers and banjos.

Blog Entries

I've done my own setup on both of my working mandolins and they worked out fine. I've also setup a number of other instruments, after doing setup on a handful of mandolins, I'm pretty convinced that mandolin setup is more complicated than many other instruments.

Then when I had fretwork and neck re-profiling done on my F-9, I also had a pro setup done on it. This work was all done by mandolin builder Austin Clark. I have to say, his work was remarkable and that mandolin plays like a dream, much better than from my own setup work. Part of that is the new frets and the neck re-profile, but also a big part of it is his talent with setup work.

My impression: Unless a person does hundreds of setups a year, an experienced pro's setup work will always be worth the money. Do-it-yourself setup work is worth doing for the experience and the knowledge and even for bonding with your instrument, but a pro setup raises the bar to a much higher level.

I'm glad I've done a little bit of mandolin setup work, but I'll gladly pay an experienced pro to do it whenever I can afford to do so.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

24. The following members say thank you to dhergert for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dhergert View Post
    My impression: Unless a person does hundreds of setups a year, an experienced pro's setup work will always be worth the money. Do-it-yourself setup work is worth doing for the experience and the knowledge and even for bonding with your instrument, but a pro setup raises the bar to a much higher level.

I'm glad I've done a little bit of mandolin setup work, but I'll gladly pay an experienced pro to do it whenever I can afford to do so.
    Yep.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

How much work you need to do to make your mandolin sound & 'feel' good,really depends on it's initial build quality. A 'cheaper' mandolin won't have had as much time spent on it to make it 'good',as a high quality one will - logical.

Simply lowering or re-positioning the bridge,is realtively simple,but when it comes down to 'cutting & carving' the nut / bridge - then be very careful indeed,or get a skilled luthier to do it. Some things can't be un-done ie. too much removed from a nut slot (bridge saddles can be moved back 'up'),or an incorrect fret adjustment. It might not be too bad to 'experiment' if your mandolin is relatively inexpensive,but on a high quality instrument ,i'd personally opt for somebody who knows exactly what do do - rather than me 'thinking; that i know what to do,when i don't !!.

Rob Meldrum's set-up info. is excellent - however,Rob is a pretty skilled guy, the sort of guy i'd take my own mandolins to = ''better safe than sorry !'' ,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Pay someone to set up your mandolin and learn to like how it's set up or set it up yourself and do it the way you like.

28. The following members say thank you to Mandoplumb for this post:

One very good approach is to have one mandolin set up well so you can refer to it as you buy others. When I did my first setup,I had my Silverangel. It played great. When I was finished with the set up, I played my Silverangel for reference. When I found my work wanting, I revisited the process. When it still wasn't up to snuff, I deduced my frets weren't level, so I invested in tools. After the fretwork, I was close. Only then did I measure my SA. I learned a lot. Then I visited Gryphon and checked their setup.

I'd be willing to bet there isn't a Rogue out there that couldn't benefit from a fret level. We are working in thousandth of an inch here. This is the difference between an out of the box import and a Collings. Fretwork.

In my case it was a desire to understand, not a monetary consideration, so if asked for advise from someone not predisposed to tinkering, I'd say buy a mandolin from a sponsor here and be happy. And stretch the budget until it hurts.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Brick - Im really new to mandolin, so I may ask dumb questions, but if you are happy with the action at the nut and 12th frets, the neck is straight, and no string buzzes on any fret, Im having a hard time seeing how leveling the frets further will improve things.