Thread: Bolm Walddoline or Portuguese Mandolin

Default Bolm Walddoline or Portuguese Mandolin

We have an old Mandolin that was in my wife's parents attic for many decades. There is no label inside. My guess is that it is a Portuguese Mandolin with Preston tuners built in the early 1900's, possibly bought second-hand in New York City in the 1920's. Questions: 1) Where can I buy a set on strings mandolin strings with loops on both ends? String length to the center of the Preston tuner is about 22 inches (with 22 1/2" max, and 21 1/2" min). 2) From this photo, who do you think built this instrument and when. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010098.JPG 
Views:	233 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	173634

Blog Entries

Default Re: Bolm Walddoline or Portuguese Mandolin

I have a waldzither with Preston tuners. I have made my own strings from standard strings. If you dig around on on Google looking for "waldzither strings" or "preston tuner" strings or some such you will probably find info on how to make them and also sources for devices that wind the loops a bit more easily or precisely. I have never seen any double end strings listed for sale.

I don't have any info about the instrument except that it looks Portuguese to me too and it looks nice.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

Ron Fernandez has info and a tool to create that extra loop for those tuners.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

5. The following members say thank you to Tavy for this post:

Thanks to you and others who have responded to my posting!

Yes, this is a Portuguese mandolin (bandolim in Portuguese). It is unlikely you will ever find out who made it.

The only thing I will add to what has already been said is that these usually have a longer scale length than other people's mandolins. Therefore you must string them with ultra-light gauge strings such as the GHS A240 set (9-32) or even lighter. Otherwise the neck will bend.
    Mandolins: Bandolim by Antonio Pereira Cabral
    German flatback mandola by unknown maker converted from a descant Waldzither

great video. i have a portuguese string winder now-but for years i used a pair of plyers and a nail. that works. just don't over twist the loop or it will weaken and break. the video shows it right