Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying again

Default Trying again

Since the September dust-up in which I was involved, I've been "lurking," as they say, and not posting on the Cafe. I must confess to some hurt feelings; whether deserved or not, up to others to determine.

But I do miss interacting with other members of this mandolin community, so I'm going to resume former levels of involvement. I hope my participation, of whatever value it may be, will be met with the usual Cafe level of courtesy -- and that those who disagree with my opinions, will express their disagreement sans vituperation. On my part, I'll try to do the same.

In December, I gave myself a holiday/birthday present of another Larson-attributed instrument, a Stahl mandola from Bernunzio's. Traded in two Eastmans, a DGM-1 and a MDA-615 mandola, and an old koa Regal tiple, plus a bit of cash. It's a very strong-sounding instrument, in decent shape (two small repaired back cracks) with apparently all-original parts. The enclosed tuners are a bit stiff, even with a bit of Tri-Flo to lubricate, but I hope they'll free up a bit with use. No case, so it occupies a well-padded Cordoba tenor ukulele gig bag.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stahlmandola.pdf 
Views:	166 
Size:	22.0 KB 
ID:	173823

Having just passed my 75th birthday, I plan to gently "downsize," trading in multiple instruments for a few special ones to which I'm attracted. Traded in three for the Larson-made Stahl mando-bass, and three more for the 'dola. Following this procedure, I may well end up at death's door, with a manageable number of higher quality instruments. At least, that's what I tell myself...

Anyway, going to try to "get back in the saddle," here; hope to reconnect with friends.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

2. The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to allenhopkins For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

mando-evangelist August Watters's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Trying again

Lovely instrument! Thanks for the update.
    Exploring Classical Mandolin (Berklee Press, 2015)
    Progressive Melodies for Mandocello (KDP, 2019) (2nd ed. 2022)
    New Solos for Classical Mandolin (Hal Leonard Press, 2020)
    2021 guest artist, mandocello: Classical Mandolin Society of America

Welcome back.

Thank you for coming back.

I am glad to have you back, Allen. And I am glad you bought that instrument. I had been watching that one!
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

Welcome back. Remember we are here for fun, education, and maybe a little banter. Don't take it too serious, it's just a web site. Albeit the best site.

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Welcome back, Sir.

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Downsizing in and of itself can have some positive effects. I always enjoy your contributions here, Allen, welcome back.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

I missed you.
    Your plan sounds good.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Might be time to update your signature, Allen.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Allen, not mandolin-related at all, but I’ve always appreciated your excellent use of grammar and punctuation here. Hardly anyone uses a semicolon anymore! And I bet you still write in script (cursive), and possibly with a fountain pen?

As far as mandolin-related, that’s a beautiful instrument you’ve got there. Welcome back.

Glad to have you back. I've probably gotten more good advice from you than from any other poster. And, as noted above, your posts are always a delight to peruse, whether or not I'm directly interested in the subject matter at hand.
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

Alas mando addiction has won in the end, we are hopeless cases.... I always enjoyed the "Alan N" perspective

Hey man you are one of the originals- I was there when it happened, so I aught to know!
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

Good to hear from you, Allen! I have learned a lot from your expertise and have enjoyed your wit over the years.

I did note your absence, and hoped that you were ok, healthwise. FWIW, I did check your website and saw you had many bookings in Dec, so that eased my mind.

I'm looking forward to another 15,000 postings from you!

Hi Allen.

We are polar opposites in many ways; a fact that you and I have discussed. And I admit that my eyes glaze over and I can't suppress the yawns at the mere mention of the term 'bowl back'.

Even so, I've appreciated your clear, concise and thoughtful posts. Especially appreciate your willingness to help others.

Don't be a stranger.

Clark
    "I play BG so that's what I can talk intelligently about." A line I loved and pirated from Mandoplumb

17. The following members say thank you to FLATROCK HILL for this post:

Trading quantity for quality is IMHO, always a sound move.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Glad to have you back. Always appreciate your insights on things.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

It's good you're on air again, Allen. After all, who can hurt the feelings of an eagle flying?
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Glad that you're back Allen. I've always enjoyed and appreciated your thoughtful posts.

Very much appreciate all the "welcome back" posts. I won't go through and add a "thanks" to each one, but please accept this as a blanket expression of my gratitude.

To a couple specific points:

A. Updating my signature: yeah, it would be nice, but since I posted the current one, there have been a number of accessions that would take me well past the character limit, as I understand it. Since I wrote the list in my signature, I have added a Martin 1919 Style A, a Waldo mandocello, a Gibson TL tenor lute, an Eastman DGM-1 (since traded) and DGM-2, a Regal Octofone, a 5-course fanned-fret mandolin/dola that Bernie Lehmann built for me, and now the two Larson/Stahls, the mando-bass and the mandola. Plus, I failed to list a few nondescripts hanging around, such as my Holdrio Piccolo "pocket" mandolin, my no-name mandolin banjo stamped with the logo of a long-defunct Rochester music store, Levis Music, and my unknown-origin Jordan solid-body electric mandolin. The point, to the extent that one exists, is that I can't fit all my stuff into the signature limit, so I'm leaving it as I wrote it in 2006.

Grammar/writing style: Not sure I deserve the compliment, but I've always valued clarity of expression, and even elegance, if attainable. However, my last fountain pen was lost long ago, and most of my written communication is via keyboard these days. I do like a well-written post, from another or one I wrote, and ever since college and high school, I've kept to some kind of forum where I could write, whether professionally or just recreationally –– newsletters for my folk club or for fellow public employees, on-line forums, a personal weekly e-mail list, publicity for the venues I help sponsor. I try not to sound too "Harvard," if I can avoid it...

Feels good to be back.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to allenhopkins For This Useful Post:

Great to have you back on board, Allen. I see you are not afraid to use the dreaded L*rs*n attribution.

As for myself, I am always willing to consider the possibility of a positive attribution and also open to a civil discussion.

I found a nice clear frontal photo of your mandola (not in pdf) for hysterical porpoises, you know...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	24308-0021.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	841.0 KB 
ID:	173830

As an aside: I recently played this Euphonon flattop at RetroFret. A truly amazing guitar. Lots of bucks but that is where the L*rs*n mystique started, not with mandolins which are still relatively modestly priced.

As for the downsizing, it must be in the air. I am in the process of doing similarly. My closet is still insanely crowded and scary even to me. Stay tuned. I do like the idea of trading multiple instruments for one more desirable, but even a transaction for a few cubic foot of breathing room could be a breath of ...well... fresh air.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Mandolin tragic Graham McDonald's Avatar

Good to see you back. I always enjoy your commentary.

Cheers

Glad to see you back! And that's a nice instrument you have, there!
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

Welcome back Allenhopkins, as a fellow bowlback lover (although my appreciation is for mandolins, not mandolas, but not all tastes are the same!) I just figured you were busy over the holidays (as many people are.)

It is good to see you are back. Your posts have always been useful and interesting.