Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dang Thing Busted

Default Dang Thing Busted

Yikes! Has this ever happened to anyone?

I had replaced the cheapo nut on my Ibanez 510-DVS mandolin with a TusQ mando nut last night I was really impressed with the TusQ nut.

So tonight I was tuning up a flat string when the neck cracked; the head cracked right off!
    YIKES!

(I keep the strings tuned down a whole step (F C G D)

Why the heck didn't the strings just break? The whole head cracked right off. (See the pics.)

Has this ever happened to anyone? Granted the Ibanez 510-DVS is a cheap, beginners instrument but I've had it for 3 or 4 years and enjoyed playing it.

Only paid around $175 for the mandolin so it may not be worth the price of a repair but really curious about this. Any comments?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mando1.jpg 
Views:	560 
Size:	383.0 KB 
ID:	174103Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mando2.jpg 
Views:	450 
Size:	390.0 KB 
ID:	174104Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mando3.jpg 
Views:	413 
Size:	347.8 KB 
ID:	174105

Default Re: Dang Thing Busted

Ouch! Sorry for your misfortune.
    That is a weak spot when the truss rod hole is that close to the nut. I bet that the original nut was wedged between the fretboard and the truss rod cover, providing some support. Could be when it was removed and replaced with the new nut it didn't fit tightly enough to provide support.
    That isn't the job of the nut anyhow. Bummer though.
    You are correct that it is not worth the cost of the repair.

I wonder if there might have been a stress crack from an injury that went unnoticed and it finally let loose?
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

Worst grain run out ever?!
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

That really sucks! Sorry for your misfortune.

I'd spend $370 for this Kentucky KM-252 instead of paying to fix a $150 mandolin with issues like that.
    https://www.musiciansfriend.com/folk...model-mandolin

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_al View Post
    ... not worth the cost of the repair.
    There ARE fixes (maybe inlay carbon-fibre bars from the back?), so maybe there's an "economical" exception?

About once a year, one or another Cafe member has asked for donated junkers so they could practice their repair skills. Given that it's a total loss now, IF someone could fix this successfully, they might be so thrilled with their newly-proven skills as to return it to you. Everyone wins. Hey, stranger things have happened!

Just an observation, but: If that were sometimes-perfectionist me changing the nut on my mandolin, I might well would have noticed excess pressure from the TR-cover to the nut, and filed the cover back for clearance, thus ensuring that the headstock breaks off. (Insert bewildered shrug here!)
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

8. The following members say thank you to EdHanrahan for this post:

If the picture shows what I think it shows... I've seen some really bad wood choices in necks, but never worse than this one.
    Considering the value of the instrument, I would not consider this one repairable. A replacement neck would be the only good solution, but the value of the instrument just doesn't warrant the time (=$) and expense of the repair.
    Might be a candidate for a fledgling luthier to learn from, but it might be such a difficult repair (assuming a mystery neck joint attached with mystery adhesive) that it would frustrate more then teach.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sunburst For This Useful Post:

Agree with John. Terrible looking neck wood. Does not look like maple at all. More of a reddish hue, like “mahogany” (perhaps nato considering point of origin?). Also, the grain should be running straight up and down for maximum strength. This grain runs at a greater than 45 degree angle to the neck axis. This is very weak wood right where it needs strength the most. Add to that removing wood for the truss rod, and you have a ticking time bomb. Don’t feel bad. You didn’t do anything wrong. What happened was almost inevitable. Nice how the extremely poor wood choice was nicely covered up by thick, solid color finish.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

12. The following members say thank you to multidon for this post:

I'm confused. What is that in the truss rod pocket instead of a truss rod? Just a plastic bar? Couldn't be carbon fiber.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	condino fannndola.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	220.0 KB 
ID:	174112  

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to j. condino For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus Geijer View Post
    I'm confused. What is that in the truss rod pocket instead of a truss rod? Just a plastic bar? Couldn't be carbon fiber.

That's a good question -- was there a truss rod in the channel? If not was there anything in that huge channel?

OP, sorry about your misfortune. I have another question. Just curious. Did you keep it tuned down to FCGD for a reason? That is did you already know the neck was weak?

But these things happen - see this string for one approach.
    Last edited by Bernie Daniel; Jan-19-2019 at 5:10pm.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Time to look for a replacement.
    That one ain't worth fixin'...

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus Geijer View Post
    ... in the truss rod pocket instead of a truss rod? Just a plastic bar?
    Now I'm more confused. To me:
    - the headstock side of the break shows the back of the (black plastic) trussrod cover, while,
    - the neck side of the break is so fuzzy that a black nut on a black trussrod might well be in there, but we (meaning I) can't really tell from the photo.

Edit: Just realized how critical the angle of the lighting is on this one!
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

I tend to agree with Jim Simpson that maybe there was an accident waiting to happen, & the replacement nut work just triggered it off. Lousy luck !!. I'd have been mortified myself as such a thing happening.

Time for a real up-grade IMO. There are lots of good quality build mandolins available these days for 'not that much' cash. I'd save up & buy a real 'keeper',
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

It’s a blessing in disguise. Time for an upgrade.

============
    ~Music self-played is happiness self-made
    覧覧覧覧覧
    Loar LM-590
    Kentucky KM-272

21. The following members say thank you to Dave Fultz for this post:

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

It's a very clean break - like a carrot popping. That headstock just wanted to snap.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Maybe that's what was in the truss rod slot- a carrot! Carrots are cheap. Glue a new one in there.

24. The following members say thank you to Dale Ludewig for this post:

Adrian Minarovic

Certainly winner in worst runout EVER category. I just cannot think of wood source with such bad grain direction... perhaps crotch?
    I guess there is double truss rod inside the cavity like many of these producers use.
    But IMO, it could be repairable. If I were the owner I would do quick glue back with good CA, remove 1/8" of rear surface at the crack and add overlay of strong straight grained maple (again with CA- slow cure version). Then paint it with black marker and shoot few layers of rattlecan lacquer. I think it could go out of shop to play within 1 hour. A man with some skill and tools can do it himself, will make good campfire mandolin (and if it breaks again it will add to the woodstash...)
    Adrian

Thanks all for your replies and advice regarding the inferior Ibanez mandolin. Yep, it's time for an upgrade. Current budget keeps me in the prices I'm noticing at Guitar Center or Musicians Friend for the Kentucky 156 ($374) Kentucky 252 ($368) or the Loar 175 (also $368) Loar M310 at $299 is also an option or are the less expensive F styles inferior to the A style? Any other suggestions are welcome.

Kentucky KM-252 gets my vote

+1 on the Kentucky 252. In my experience having played numerous examples from The Loar andKentucky, the Kentucky willbe the better player every time. That’s a great price but it won’t be set up. You either have to know how to do a set up yourself, or learn how to do it yourself (Rob Meldrum’s free e-book) or pay someone to do it, which will add probably 69-75 dollars to the cost. And it won’t come with a case either.

I would throw into the mix the Eastman 305 at 479, available from a number of dealers including Elderly and The Mandolin Store. It will come with a gig bag and already set up at that price. And yes, the less expensive F styles are just about always inferior the the A styles in the same price range. To get them to that price point the inexpensive Fs are usually laminated and the solid wood parts are pressed not carved.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Agree with the advice above, and wouldn’t consider an F style in that range unless you lucked into an Eastman 315 on clearance (like I did for $429.00 a couple of years ago). Kentucky and Eastman are generally your best bets in the sub-500 range, IMO. The last couple of low model Loars I’ve played at GC were not impressive, though I know there are those out there that love them...

And, really sorry for your loss! Also, if you can do set up work yourself, the bargains at GC and Musician’s Friend may actually be good deals. If you’re not comfortable doing that work, buy from a cafe sponsor who includes a good set up. Otherwise, you’ll have to find/pay someone to do it, which negates any “big box” discount. I really wish I’d done that with my first mandolin rather than going the eBay route...
    Last edited by CES; Jan-22-2019 at 11:00am.
    Chuck

Try this:

https://store.banjobenclark.com/coll...f-brb-mandolin

And it will come set-up and ready to play.

Or, buy from Folkmusician (Robert Fear) or Dennis at The Mandolin Store.

Start with an instrument that has been gone over, and save yourself the grief!!
    Jim D

They do make ones which are designed so the front doesn't fall off.

32. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Marty Jacobson For This Useful Post: