Thread: Montana Fiddle Camp

Default Montana Fiddle Camp

Hi,
    I’m considering attending Montana Fiddle Camp (but for mandolin). Has anyone gone? Any thoughts on that camp? I haven’t ever been to it. Are there any other good camps to check out? I would really like to find one that is just a long weekend instead of a full week but it seems most are week long. Thanks!

Fiddler & Mandolin Player Dave Reiner's Avatar

Default Re: Montana Fiddle Camp

Quote Originally Posted by MandoMN18 View Post
    Hi,
    I’m considering attending Montana Fiddle Camp (but for mandolin). Has anyone gone? Any thoughts on that camp? I haven’t ever been to it. Are there any other good camps to check out? I would really like to find one that is just a long weekend instead of a full week but it seems most are week long. Thanks!
    Try Mandolin Camp North :-)
    Dave
    '04 Gibson F3, '04 Gibson A4, '06 Gibson F4, '26 Gibson F5, '27 Gibson F4, '87 Givens A6, 2017 Kimble A5

Author, Anthology of Fiddle Styles; Co-author, Oldtime Fiddling Across America
    Genial host, Fiddle Hell Online (coming up on April 11-14, 2024, with 220 concerts, jams, & workshops (incl many for mandolin) and free replays for 4 months)
    Join www.facebook.com/groups/fiddlehellmassachusetts
    Free jams on our YouTube channel YouTube.com/FiddleHell
    More info at fiddlehell.org

3. The following members say thank you to Dave Reiner for this post:

The River of the West Mandolin Camp is Thurs- Sun not far from Portland,OR for plane flights. Targhee Music Camp is Mon-Thurs but an hour from Idaho Fall/Jackson Hole airports. Targhee Camp runs in to the Targhee Bluegrass Festival if you can stay a few extra days. I’ve been to both several times and they are great.

I’ve been to MFC, it’s best if you’re a camper (RV/tent), hotel accommodations are not far but it’s nice to stay right there where Camp is for jamming and such.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

5. The following members say thank you to bigskygirl for this post:

I went two years ago, and I loved it. John Reischman, an excellent teacher, taught the advanced mandolin class, and he is there most every year. You stay with him all week. I cant remember who taught the beginning/intermediate class, but he was well-reviewed by other attendees. Classes are small. Accommodations are fine if you don't mind a bunkhouse. Many bring campers and use the bunkhouse showers and toilets. The food is not fancy but it is good. There are concerts and dances most nights. There were around 150 students the week I went, fairly small compared to other camps I have attended (Kaufman, Swannanoa). The facility is a church retreat camp. The setting is beautiful with hiking paths and a river nearby. I loved it. if it weren't so far from me, I would definitely go again.

7. The following members say thank you to Laura Cauble for this post:

Thank you all! This is great info! Now I’m leaning more towards Mandolin Camp North or ROW. Pros and cons to those?

ROW fills up quickly as it only has 50 spaces. Great faculty with Mike Compton, Paul Glassee, Tim Connell and Brian Oberlin.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

10. The following members say thank you to Bill McCall for this post:

I will give you another recommendation - Washington Old Time Fiddlers has a camp July 15th thru 19th. There are about 300 students +/- and around 30 are mandolin students. They have beginning, intermediate and advanced classes. It is held at a school in town. You can camp onsite or a couple of other places nearby and there are several of places to stay if you choose. Spokane, WA would probably be the closest place to fly into and it is a little over an hour drive to Moses Lake. Lots of kids and everyone has been friendly and great to get along with. There is dancing, jams, band scramble and a teacher concert (best show in the state of Washington on that date) in the evenings. Adults are $175 and kids $75? for the week. They do knock off at noon on Friday.

https://www.wotfa.org/

The ROW is great as well. Different experience as it is all mandolin and everyone is on campus.

12. The following members say thank you to Northwest Steve for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by MandoMN18 View Post
    Hi,
    Montana fiddle Camp is top-notch. I went with my fiddling son. The great Bobby Hicks was there teaching. John Reischman was teaching mandolin & the fiddling staff had many Wieser contestants & winners & generations of Montana contest winners. Here's the teaching lineup for 2019. http://montanafiddlecamp.org/about.h...or_instructors.

For 2019 john Reischman, Emory Lester mando. John Lowell,Greg Blake, Ross Martin guitar. Eric Thorin, bass. Fantastic lineup

It is a great place to play and learn music.

14. The following members say thank you to doc holiday for this post: