Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Namm 2019

Blog Entries

Default Re: Namm 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Biddix View Post
    It would appear that Fender is making an electric tenor in the Telecaster style:

Fender Launches MIM Alternate Reality Series and Boutique-Style Rarities Line https://reverb.com/news/fender-launc...m_medium=share
    Dropped by the massive Fender display and asked several people about this instrument. All I got was blank stares and... "a what?" Don't doubt it exists but sometimes the people at the shows that work for the companies just aren't in the know.

That raggedy looking Gibson cost almost as much as my car! Oh my!

Blog Entries

If those first Collings "Waterloo's" don't look just like the 30's Kalamazoo's and Cromwell Gibson budget line, I don't know I think I'd be buying the vintage ones?

Registered Plec Offender Mickey King's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by multidon View Post
    Regarding the Hall of Fame Mon, how did Gibson manage to raise Bill from the dead to sign labels for them?
    I suspect that label was signed a long time ago maybe for another Monroe model. The label says Gibson Bozeman, MT.
    Mickey

Skip Kelley-Kentucky F-5
    Northfield F5S
    Collings MT

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by G. Fisher View Post
    I don't think you can make a fair assessment of the mandolin from a low resolution picture taken at an angle and posted on a website.
    What I said is obvious at any angle. (and a well known flaw previously discussed)
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

Quote Originally Posted by RobBob View Post
    That raggedy looking Gibson cost almost as much as my car! Oh my!

'Costs more than all 27 cars I've owned in my life combined!

7. The following members say thank you to j. condino for this post:

If I won millions in the lottery (that I very rarely play,) I would be wanting to listen to the Gibson, the Northfield 4.0, and an Ellis, and then decide.....

Blog Entries

Got to play the gorgeous and killer sounding Weber Yellowstone that will be given away to one lucky person selected at random Sunday at 4:00 p.m. Pacific Time. Great stuff going on at the Weber booth, jam packed, lots going on.

Name:  weber.jpg
Views: 2114
Size:  103.0 KB

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

There was a question about the tailpiece on the new Waterloo mandolins. It's one piece, strings attached, and manufactured by Collings specifically for this model.

Name:  IMG_1542.jpg
Views: 2084
Size:  58.2 KB

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quick visit with uber talented archtop guitar builder Maegan Wells who has branched lightly into a few mandolins. This was her first satin finish mandolin and it was a real work of art, as are her widely recognized guitars. A real star builder, and so young!

Name:  IMG_1520.jpg
Views: 2103
Size:  105.0 KB

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

For the Fender Tenor, check this video around the 2 minute mark:

https://youtu.be/qma5eRtQBLc

For the Fender Tenor, check this video around the 2 minute mark:

https://youtu.be/qma5eRtQBLc
    So are these blokes at the same winter NAMM show Scott is at? 400 GBP is US$528.08, not an unreasonable price, I should think.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Yes, they are at the same show as far as I know. The article I posted earlier had more specs. I believe they come in 3 colors: butterscotch blonde, fiesta red, and lake placid blue. I'm pretty excited! The price seems right as well!

Ted posted a picture of the Fender over in Tenor guitars so it is at the show.

Upon inspection of the pics it appears Fender pulled a classic newb error by putting the dot marker at the 9th, not the 10th fret. I suspect they modified their Squier Mini neck and didn't think to move the fret marker as they've never made a tenor before and they're all guitar players.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

19. The following members say thank you to Verne Andru for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post
    Quick visit with uber talented archtop guitar builder Maegan Wells who has branched lightly into a few mandolins. This was her first satin finish mandolin and it was a real work of art, as are her widely recognized guitars. A real star builder, and so young!
    I met her and talked to her for a few minutes at the Woodstock Invitational Luthier show last fall. We had a nice talk, but she sold the one mandolin she was about to bring there. Too bad. There were so few mandolins there. That one looks very nice.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

21. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

It would appear that Fender is making an electric tenor in the Telecaster style:

Fender Launches MIM Alternate Reality Series and Boutique-Style Rarities Line https://reverb.com/news/fender-launc...m_medium=share
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    So are these blokes at the same winter NAMM show Scott is at? 400 GBP is US$528.08, not an unreasonable price, I should think.
    On that Reverb article it said:
    It will be available for $499 USD in Lake Placid Blue, fiesta red, or butterscotch blonde.
    And they are made in Mexico. Did the video say 400GBP? They do look fun.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post
    Couple of surprises to start out the show. Just arrived so haven't had a lot of time to prepare much to report but for starters:

The new Waterloo (from Collings) flat top mandolins to match their guitar line. VERY nice, pricing still under consideration but somewhere in the $2K range. Superb fit and finish, play beautifully, sounded great (both), radiused fingerboard. Left: WL-M Serial 2917, Solid Spruce top, Mahogany body and neck, Sunburst, Ivoroid top and soundhole binding, 1/5/16" nut, truss rod, ebony bridge, customer nickel tailpiece.

Name:  waterloo.jpg
Views: 6097
Size:  123.7 KB
    YIKES! I really like these. Seems high for a flattop, but it is a Collings. Looking forward to playing one of these.

So, I'm guessing there's no sign of a Collings "Traditional" series mandolin similar to the T guitars this year? That would be a natural step for them to take at some point, more Loaresque graduations and bracing, animal protein glue, maybe a torrefied top. Asking for a friend. <g>

Blog Entries

Some info just picked up: Breedlove Crossover which is an import won't be available in 2019. May be on their way out but I know who to ask about that.

26. The following members say thank you to Mandolin Cafe for this post:

Looks like Gibson has a few electric mandos at the show.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gibson eMandos.jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	116.1 KB 
ID:	174318

https://www.harmonycentral.com/forum...o-thread/page3
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

28. The following members say thank you to Verne Andru for this post:

Blog Entries

The Gibson electric on the left is the F-5GEM Electric Mandolin in figured Maple, Sweet Tea.

Semi-hollow F-5G with a powerful custom pickup (their words)
    Highly figured Maple adorns the top and back
    Brand new from Custom Shop

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

News on the new Waterloo Mandolins from Collings. Those two are numbers #3 & 4 and are going back home to Austin with the builder so not available in retail in the near future. As mentioned earlier, still decided price point, still possibly some changes to the design although clearly they're close to where they want them to be.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

This is a relatively new product from TKL, the TKL VTR 552 GLW case, hard plastic. Have a few other pictures of it but likely may not post. Retail in the neighborhood of $449. Light, very thin, good protection, worth exploring further for some of you. They'll have them at Merlefest they thought. Made in Virginia.

Name:  IMG_1554.jpg
Views: 2372
Size:  87.3 KB

Name:  IMG_1549.jpg
Views: 2365
Size:  157.2 KB

34. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

Is there a big NAMM dump coming or is that it?
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

Blog Entries

FYI, the Weber Yellowstone Giveaway should be in the process of selecting the winner at the show. Registration has ended.