Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Midrange Cases; worth the expense?

Default Re: Midrange Cases; worth the expense?

Quote Originally Posted by soliver View Post
    Another update: I can't say that I am very pleased with Instrument Alley. While their prices are more than reasonable, they are NOT very good at communication. I placed the order 2 days ago and have since only received a confirmation of the order. I was curious when it would ship out so I tried to inquire; ...I attempted their online chat feature multiple times with no one ever replying to me, I called the phone number on their site twice and got the machine both times and I emailed with no reply. Finally I tried the online chat again and it timed out, so someone replied to my question via email saying they were "a couple days behind but I should get tracking info early next week..." thats pretty crummy customer service IMHO.

I hope the case is worth all the annoyance!
    Instrument Alley is basically a drop ship sales site. They keep tabs on what is in stock from wholesale and have it shipped to you direct from the wholesaler. That's why they don't have any info for you on when your item will arrive, because it is not coming from them. They are just processing the transaction between you and the distributor, and making a profit off of it.

2. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_al View Post
    Spend a few more $$ and get a fiberglass case.
    This Crossrock is $156 with coupon on page.
    https://www.amazon.com/Crossrock-CRF.../dp/B0759MTKNM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	31O78Z7vlPL._AC_SY400_.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	6.2 KB 
ID:	174440
    I got one of the A style Crossrock cases, Not exactly a tight fit, but very lightweight and has the D rings for backpack strap attachment. I kind of consider it a glorified gig bag, with crush protection...

My go-to case now, unless I need something sturdier, but it doesn’t come up that often.
    I should be pickin' rather than postin'

Hope it arrives soon, would like to hear your opinion when you get them it in hand!
    Chuck

5. The following members say thank you to CES for this post:

The Crossrock look interesting. Am using a Roadrunner plastic A shaped case for my old Gibsons. Works with old short necked mandolins. Plus, the Gibsons sit in there with a ToneGard on. No problem.

Otherwise, I use a Reunion Blues Continental uke bag for my Gibson. Great interior and excellent fit. Again, it works with the old short necked mandolins. And has more storage space on the outside. As well as backpack straps.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

My Pava arrived in a Superior case - 'nuff said. I like it, it seems sturdy, and no complaints other than it is a white case and shows every scuff. But it does the job it's supposed to do - protect the mandolin!

8. The following members say thank you to LadysSolo for this post:

I would prefer a white case, scuffs and all, as it keeps the heat off the case. I have always wondered why most cases are black.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

10. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    I would prefer a white case, scuffs and all, as it keeps the heat off the case. I have always wondered why most cases are black.
    Because most musicians are not outside at a festival between jams, they are inside, at the bar, between sets.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

My A5 Fiberglass Eastman is Green , because It was bought 2nd hand ,like that,
    & the Original wood one was a loose fit ..

Someone liked it's straw tweed looking cover , and so It got a new mandolin inside of it ..
    Buyer had me mail it to the builder..

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

Update... still waiting,... not even so much as a tracking number.

Won't be buying from Instrument Alley again.
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 & #002: A double stack of Pancakes.

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

So out of the blue, I got a notification from Fedex that they would be delivering the case today, SURPRISE!... and low and behold there itnwas when I got home! It is very very nice IMHO. After I get the kids to bed, I'll post a review with pics.
    Silverangel Econo A #429

I picked up a Crossrock fiberglass this week for my Weber. It fits a little loose, but they have a extra strip of padding included to snug up the fit. I had no problems with a tonegard and strap left on. I'm headed to a festival down here in Charleston next week, so i'll post an update. Pretty impressed so far.
    Jake B.
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Biddix View Post
    I picked up a Crossrock fiberglass this week for my Weber. It fits a little loose, but they have a extra strip of padding included to snug up the fit. I had no problems with a tonegard and strap left on. I'm headed to a festival down here in Charleston next week, so i'll post an update. Pretty impressed so far.
    Hi Jake. I see they're going to have that at The Woodlands across from Middleton Plantation. I went there in 2017 at the Woodlands site and 2018 in Awendaw. If you can, stick around Saturday for The Dirty Grass Players. Terrific young band from Baltimore. I've seen them twice. Once on the Outer Banks and another time they opened for Billy Strings in Annapolis. They've opened for the McCoury's at least twice. Good mixture of traditional and progressive Bluegrass. Say hello to Ryan the mandolin player for me. If he's using a Breedlove Legacy OF, it would be the one he bought from me.
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

Quote Originally Posted by soliver View Post
    ...I can't say that I am very pleased with Instrument Alley...
    Think I've heard the same refrain in other threads.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

18. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

Isn't most of the stuff on Amazon shipped from a third party? Just wondering.

And what is considered a mid range case? Everyone's idea is going to be different.When it comes to what I do in the real world, pretty much any case is going to work. But I just tend to like things that are well built. I'd have a very different opinion if I were in a road band.

I do agree the zipper on my Travelite is a pain, but it fits my Silverangel, so I live with it. I have a daughter that travels occasionally with a cello. It is in a Calton like quality case with a huge padded cover when it flies.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Quote Originally Posted by dang View Post
    I got one of the A style Crossrock cases, Not exactly a tight fit, but very lightweight and has the D rings for backpack strap attachment. I kind of consider it a glorified gig bag, with crush protection...

My go-to case now, unless I need something sturdier, but it doesn’t come up that often.
    I have Crossrock cases for guitar, mando and ukulele. Love their cases. They are light, and they provide good protection.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a vet.

I kinda defined mid range as over $100 up to $200 in my mind... something that's kinda a step up from the one-size-fits-all kinda cases like you see on Amazon for $40-$70 ish.

So, yea, ... Instrument Alley was pretty awful; I agree whole heartedly with the assessments made on the post that Allen Hopkins shared... but I'm very pleased with the case. I did write a review here: https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...or+Case+review
    Silverangel Econo A #429

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    Isn't most of the stuff on Amazon shipped from a third party? Just wondering.

And what is considered a mid range case? Everyone's idea is going to be different.When it comes to what I do in the real world, pretty much any case is going to work. But I just tend to like things that are well built. I'd have a very different opinion if I were in a road band.

I do agree the zipper on my Travelite is a pain, but it fits my Silverangel, so I live with it. I have a daughter that travels occasionally with a cello. It is in a Calton like quality case with a huge padded cover when it flies.
    I'm not completely certain about Amazon shipping. I do know the stuff mostly comes in an Amazon box. Most products, if shipped by Amazon are distinguished that way at the Amazon site, before you even buy. I recently bought a Superior Fiberglass case at Amazon. It was shipped by Saga, from a Kentucky address. What really sets Amazon apart, is the quick shipping, and the contact, thru tracking, they keep with the customer throughout the entire shipping process. I've never been left in the dark by Amazon or the third party shipper during the shipping/tracking process. We pay for Prime so we receive everything with two days, anyway.
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

Thanks for this info. Have you, or anyone else, know the relative merits of an ABS vs a fiberglass case?
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_al View Post
    Spend a few more $$ and get a fiberglass case.
    This Crossrock is $156 with coupon on page.
    https://www.amazon.com/Crossrock-CRF.../dp/B0759MTKNM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	31O78Z7vlPL._AC_SY400_.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	6.2 KB 
ID:	174440

Quote Originally Posted by SMSimon View Post
    Thanks for this info. Have you, or anyone else, know the relative merits of an ABS vs a fiberglass case?
    Thanks!
    I can't comment on the merits, but ABS was pretty good until fiberglass came along. I would say ABS is usually a bit thinner because it's simply molded plastic, and consequently probably a bit weaker. But, mostly these days you get better padding with the fiberglass models.

And, FWIW, the thread is 3 years old, so the pricing mentioned is not even close. The Crossrock case I tried a couple months ago was almost 2x the price in that quote you included. (I returned it because I didn't like the fit for my mandos.)
    2018 Kentucky KM-950, 2017 Ellis A5 Deluxe

I'm very satisfied with a Superior white fiberglass A model case, especially after superglueing 2 - $.79 rubber feet on the hinge side. The extra feet allow me to set the case down, handle up, without it flopping over. I can't for the life of me understand why Saga does not do that from the factory. The latches work easy, and I can leave the headstock tuner on without it touching the bottom of the case.
    Russ Jordan

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Jordan View Post
    I'm very satisfied with a Superior white fiberglass A model case, especially after superglueing 2 - $.79 rubber feet on the hinge side. The extra feet allow me to set the case down, handle up, without it flopping over. I can't for the life of me understand why Saga does not do that from the factory. The latches work easy, and I can leave the headstock tuner on without it touching the bottom of the case.
    After reading reviews here on the Cafe I bought one of the Saga white fiberglass cases in 2018 and it came with the extra feet on the hinge side. I’ve read the complaints about the case not being able to stand up on it own and Saga must have change it. I still have it and I think it’s an excellent case for the money.

The Superior mandolin case has been "unobtainium" for some time, AFAIK.
    2018 Kentucky KM-950, 2017 Ellis A5 Deluxe

Quote Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
    The Superior mandolin case has been "unobtainium" for some time, AFAIK.
    https://www.elderly.com/products/sup...26854534217792
    Russ Jordan

That’s a new situation. I had looked a bit ago and they were still out of stock. Also, as with everything, the price has undergone a healthy increase. A couple of years back, I got one of these white Superiors for my white Gibson A-3 from Elderly. I had to bend down one side of the accoutrements box to make it fit, but it’s a nice case.

Quote Originally Posted by Denis Kearns View Post
    That’s a new situation. I had looked a bit ago and they were still out of stock. Also, as with everything, the price has undergone a healthy increase. A couple of years back, I got one of these white Superiors for my white Gibson A-3 from Elderly. I had to bend down one side of the accoutrements box to make it fit, but it’s a nice case.
    I was just looking and there’s not many out there, found one at Greg Boyd’s, the one at Elderly’s is a better deal.

https://gregboyd.com/product/superio...in-case-white/