Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Midrange Cases; worth the expense?

Default Re: Midrange Cases; worth the expense?

For around the house and local travel I picked up one of these Gator Journeyman cases. The fabric covering is not a good choice but I varnished mine so it's waterproof and dirt resistant. The case holds the mandolin snugly (very important IMO). There's an inch of foam around the rims and most importantly, there are foam risers under the heel and the body under the f hole regions so the body doesn't rock when seated in the case. I don't recall seeing that feature on any other cases. It turns out my A5 style mando fits in with it's toneguard on. For $130 I think I'd get another one if I ever needed an additional case.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gator-Cases-GW-JM-MANDOLIN-Journeyman-Series-Deluxe-Wood-Mandolin-Case-1_800x-3643372210.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	202565Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GWJMMANDOLIN_e815456f-940c-4a65-9620-3a5bd4020174_800x-1332861217.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	86.1 KB 
ID:	202566

Quote Originally Posted by 707erich View Post
    I was just looking and there’s not many out there, found one at Greg Boyd’s, the one at Elderly’s is a better deal.
    https://gregboyd.com/product/superio...in-case-white/
    Ah, I was looking for F-style cases. (Pardon my bias!) The one pictured at Elderly is pretty clearly shaped only for an A-shaped mando, and it looks like the same one in the small picture at Boyd's. Surprising price difference, but if you have a nice A, probably worth a look.
    2018 Kentucky KM-950, 2017 Ellis A5 Deluxe

Quote Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
    Ah, I was looking for F-style cases. (Pardon my bias!) The one pictured at Elderly is pretty clearly shaped only for an A-shaped mando, and it looks like the same one in the small picture at Boyd's. Surprising price difference, but if you have a nice A, probably worth a look.
    https://reverb.com/item/1036648-cf-1...-mandolin-case
    Russ Jordan

I appreciate the effort, but that seller has no feedback since 2016, and it says they are "away." It's only listed as "watch" and not actually for sale, so I'd probably take a pass on that one.

The Crossrock cases are the ones most folks end up with. As I said in my first post, I tried one and didn't like the fit, but it's clearly the option, probably the only one, around $300.
    2018 Kentucky KM-950, 2017 Ellis A5 Deluxe

5. The following members say thank you to keith.rogers for this post:

You may want to check out the Bobelock cases at violinpros.com. When I was looking last year they were $219 -15 percent sale. They looked quite good.

Try carrying a banjo in a decent case around,
    the mandolin case had not been built that approaches
    That!!!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandoplumb For This Useful Post:

The Crossrock case mentioned above has the 3 D rings that lets you backpack carry it , part of why I like my Eastman Fiberglass case..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture