Thread: How snug is the best fit for a case?

Default How snug is the best fit for a case?

I have a Superior fiberglass case that is a decent fit for a high quality mandolin but it has a 1/4" range that it can shift around from side to side. I am hoping the case doesn't get any rough treatment but just in case I drop it - is it better to snug up the fit so that the instrument can't move at all (with additional padding inserted behind the existing padding) or it is maybe better to leave that 1/4" for it to be able to move, which might take away some of the direct shock to the instrument? Part of me thinks that the instrument having a little wiggle room might make the case take the impact and no transfer so much of it to the instrument but . . . Your thoughts?
    John Liestman -
    Eye new ewe wood lye kit!

Default Re: How snug is the best fit for a case?

The snuggest - actually really tight - fit are the cases made by Gary Price. And they are the safest, as far as I can tell. I wouldn't want my mandolin to move in the case.

What Henry said. No movement is my desire. And no touch anywhere on the headstock. The Mark Leaf case is right in those regards. And the 1 or 2 Gary Price cases I have seen are indeed a very snug fit. So much so that I was picking on a guy's Randy Wood and went to place it back in the case. I was afraid to shove it in the Price, it was so tight. I handed it back to the owner to do that.

Tighter is better. I have a tenor uke that came in a Travelite-esque UkeCrazy case that had a fair amount of wiggle room. The UkuleleSite, whom I’d highly recommend (provided you’re not buying with the need for a 72 hour turn around), added some velvet covered foam to cinch up the fit on the body and headstock. Best case I’ve had in possession was probably the one that came with my Collings MT. It was tight enough you had to work the Mando in there, but there was very little risk of damage in day to day impact situations...
    Chuck

I have the standard TKL shaped A case for two of my main mandolins and they are nice and cozy on both. The 23 Gibson also has its old original case but it bounces around inside that one.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

For me - A nice,easy, push-fit without having to force the mandolin into the case. My Travelite has fitted every mandolin that i've evr placed into it just like that,
    Ivan
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lebeda + Ron Mc.strap 3.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	182.5 KB 
ID:	174311
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

The only reason I can think of to have an extra 1/4 inch would be if you're going to add an armrest or a toneguard you don't want to take on and off. Those attachments sometimes send folks looking for a case that accommodates them. In general, I like thicker padding around the rims made of a softer foam that cradles the instrument, something cheaper hardshell cases seem to lack.

Thanks all of you for your input.
    John Liestman -

A few years ago, I bought a new Travelite, and it was so tight on my Northfield that I was afraid that I would have to perform surgery on it to get the mandolin in and out without stressing about it. But after just a few cycles, the mandolin popped in and out without undue force needed. The semi-hard foam adjusts well.
    Mitch Russell

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onassis For This Useful Post:

The Travelite has the corner on its class of case, hands down.

I think of good fit as a good handshake - firm, but not crushing your fingers. I don't want to have to force it in, but I want a snug fit, and not so loose that it's sloppy.

Blog Entries

The reason a snug fit is better is that it ensures transient impacts, like dropping the case, will be spread across the maximum surface area. If the mando is loose, it will bang into the inside in one spot, and probably not the strongest one. Full, firm foam fit is best, and plenty of crush depth is also good. Travelite looks like it offers both.
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

14. The following members say thank you to Tom Wright for this post:

I have a TKL oblong case that is a very snug fit, I have to square up the mandolin for it to press in. I was worried when I got a toneguard, but the case has conformed to it. I don't want any extra clearance.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Mix A5 in Eastman A5 Fiberglass Case is a good fitting match.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Thanks Tom Wright, that was the reasoning I was looking for.
    John Liestman -

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wright View Post
    The reason a snug fit is better is that it ensures transient impacts, like dropping the case, will be spread across the maximum surface area. If the mando is loose, it will bang into the inside in one spot, and probably not the strongest one. Full, firm foam fit is best, and plenty of crush depth is also good. Travelite looks like it offers both.
    A Travelite ticks many of the boxes to qualify as a good case. It's affordable, well made, and would protect from 90+% of anything likely to happen. It has a snug fit, but enough give to conform to a toneguard. It provides protection at the cost of bulk, but is certainly light enough to carry around all day.

The biggest complaint I have is that the zipper gets tiresome.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1