Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Which mandolin should I buy?

Default Re: Which mandolin should I buy?

Nice one! Enjoy.......

Just a beautiful piece of work.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Now you can play a Doyle Lawson tune for us lol
    2017 Gibson F5L
    Northfield Big Mon
    Collings D1AT
    Collings D1AVN Varnish
    Collings D2HGT
    1941 Martin D-18

"Too dumb for New York, too ugly for L.A."

4. The following members say thank you to ABrown for this post:

I have a Big Mon and love it. Many many years of playing everything and I can[t see past it. Having something built has the chance you won't actually like it and $6000 may mean you'd be lucky to get $4500 on any brand new instrument.

Having said that I'm currrently having an F4 made (although I said I never would have an instrument made again) but it's less than 50% of your Rosa one so not quite the same risk. A USED Big Mon could save you quite a bit money.
    Last edited by jimmy powells; Mar-02-2019 at 1:38pm. Reason: Typing errors

I think you did very well to pick up a highly regarded mandolin used.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    I think you did very well to pick up a highly regarded mandolin used.
    Hi. Don't know if that latest post referred to myself as I didn't say I had a USED one but ss it happens, I did buy my Big Mon used from Tamco in Uk. I was very lucky to get a used Big Mon. I think they have one right now.

I still love the big mon. But the White mandolin was less than the big mon and it’s way more mandolin( in my opinion) for the money.
    It’s built very similarly to the big mon (larger dimensions) but more refined, and the money I saved will probably go toward a northfield octave mandolin. If I can find one. I’m finishing up the 48hr approval time and then I will post some videos of it.
    Hardwick Bluetone banjo, old Washburn b16 with an rb250 tone ring
    Custom Martin D28, and D45
    Tyler White #12, Eastman MD 815cs, Austin AU657 beater mandolin
    Several violins, eletric guitars, piano, Suzuki bluesmaster harmonica set, and my Dads old trombone from high school.

Quote Originally Posted by AHoyle View Post
    I still love the big mon. But the White mandolin was less than the big mon and it’s way more mandolin( in my opinion) for the money.
    It’s built very similarly to the big mon (larger dimensions) but more refined, and the money I saved will probably go toward a northfield octave mandolin. If I can find one. I’m finishing up the 48hr approval time and then I will post some videos of it.
    Why do you have to "finish up" the approval time. Don't you approve? It sounds like it.

As for the Northfield octave, I believe they just came out with that. I don't think there are many out there at all, especially used ones. OTOH you could order one directly from them right now, if you like.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I love the mandolin it’s got incredible tone and looks, and it feels just right in my hands. So yes I approve. In fact It’s so good I’ve already had people try to buy it from me ha ha. I was more or less just stating that I had a 48hr approval time to go over it as throughly as I wanted to. And you know sometimes the 2nd day with an instrument( once the initial excitement fades) you become more discerning of what areas the instrument may be lacking in. but the approval time is up and it’s a keeper for sure

A friend of mine ( same one who wants my mando) has a northfield octave with mahogany back and sides and it’s a beautiful sounding instrument. Personally I prefer the maple back and side model. He got lucky and found a used one for a good price.
    Several violins, eletric guitars, piano, Suzuki bluesmaster harmonica set, and my Dads old trombone from high school.

Quote Originally Posted by AHoyle View Post
    A friend of mine ( same one who wants my mando) has a northfield octave with mahogany back and sides and it’s a beautiful sounding instrument. Personally I prefer the maple back and side model. He got lucky and found a used one for a good price.
    Wow, that is amazing. That means someone spent $4000 and then decided they didn't like it. Impressive and lucky for your friend. Have you played the maple octave? They do look very nice and sound great when played by some of those mandolin players like Mr. Marshall, etc.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Here is a nice looking one at Gryphons.......

https://shop.gryphonstrings.com/prod...aple-new-55518
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Yes I’ve been able to play the maple northfield and it had more of a crisper sound closer to that of a deep sounding mandolin. The mahogany is warmer in sound closer to a guitar like sound ( all though both have a sound reminiscent of a guitar the mahogany just leans more toward that sound) both sound and feel great tho. The maple definitely makes a difference in sound. I may just wait for a good used one to come along tho it might be a while. It’ll give me some more time to save the other half of the money

I bought the Northfield F5S from Lowe’s vintage guitars in Burlington when you were there Friday. I love it !
    Great deal ! Nice talking with you. It’s a killer

15. The following members say thank you to P KING for this post:

Congrats on the NS5, a very good mandolin at any price, and a steel at 3k. Enjoy.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Hey P King how have you been? It’s great to find you here. Yes that N5s is killer. I would have bought it if you hadn’t. I’m glad you like it. Maybe one of these days we can get back up there to Lowe Vintage and jam a bit. Been itching to get back up there anyways haha

We love these threads so much they go on long after the OP made his decision.

The scope of what $6k will buy is breathtaking. Apitus, Collings MF5, Gibson, Sorenson, and countless others are within this budget on the used market. Truly a princely sum to hunt with.

How many others are currently shopping with this budget?
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

We love these threads so much they go on long after the OP made his decision.

The scope of what $6k will buy is breathtaking. Apitus, Collings MF5, Gibson, Sorenson, and countless others are within this budget on the used market. Truly a princely sum to hunt with.

I was shopping with a budget up to $8,000 not too long ago. I ended up with my 2017 Gibson F5L. I was looking at more production builds than boutique since my budget wasn't quite high enough for what I have in mind for a custom. I agree it's always nice buying out of the entry level market for acoustic instruments. If I can stop buying things for a while my goal is to get myself a McClanahan
    2017 Gibson F5L
    Northfield Big Mon
    Collings D1AT
    Collings D1AVN Varnish
    Collings D2HGT
    1941 Martin D-18

"Too dumb for New York, too ugly for L.A."

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

I’m biased, Br1ck, but I’m partial to this one:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/135786#135786

And one of Stefan’s earlier F5’s, #64 previously owned by Doyle Lawson, was recently listed in the classifieds for even less.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Tasty, tasty, tasty.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Congratulations, AHoyle! Beautiful mandolin!
    Chuck