Thread: Mandolin setup

Default Mandolin setup

Hello. After pouring over many many reviews here on the cafe I have zeroed in on a couple of mandolins to be purchased from the US. Currently iam playing a 'rank beginner' instrument bought locally in India.
    The importance of a good setup is not lost on me. My question is whether the setup and the instrument survive the shipping from the US to India. Those who have received 'setup mandolins' over a long distance - kindly throw some light.

Default Re: Mandolin setup

Nut and bridge heights can't be altered by shipping. Neck might need a truss rod adjustment, that's probably worst case, and pretty unlikely.

All of my shipped mandos have come from themandolinstore (one state away), and have survived just fine.

I had one shipped from the UK, but it was a solid body, also no issues.

Edit: where it gets interesting is if you change string gauges, then you have to readjust the bride position for intonation, all you need is a good tuner though.
    Davey Stuart tenor guitar (based on his 18" mandola design).
    Eastman MD-604SB with Grover 309 tuners.
    Eastwood 4 string electric mandostang, 2x Airline e-mandola (4-string) one strung as an e-OM.
    DSP's: Helix HX Stomp, various Zooms.
    Amps: THR-10, Sony XB-20.

Thanks there. I contacted the mandolin store and they gave a positive response. Will make up my mind soon...

And you can always download Rob meldrum's ebook on setup and check stuff when it arrives.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

Blog Entries

Just a little counterpoint here...

In the USA, many mandolins are imported from Japan, Korea and China. It isn't at all unusual for a mandolin to arrive with setup issues due to geographic environmental differences (mostly humidity and/or temperature) and due to travel stress. As such, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the same thing happen with instruments coming to Asia from the USA.

Probably the most expected relatively minor setup problems would be neck issues like high or loose frets and neck relief problems. More serious -- and really quite rare -- problems could be neck warping or top sinking, or perhaps some areas of seam separation. Travel damage is also possible, the most common being endpin related endblock cracks or broken peghead scrolls That said, I'd be very surprised if you encounter any serious problems at all, most likely there will be nothing that could not be addressed by a thorough setup.

As has been mentioned, there is a good setup tutorial available from Rob Meldrum. Also, if you are buying a new instrument, I'd recommend talking to the builder or supplier about how to deal with any serious problems that might be covered by warranty.

Good luck with this... I suspect and hope that you'll receive a wonderful mandolin that is at most only in need of a good setup.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

Quote Originally Posted by dhergert View Post
    ...It isn't at all unusual for a mandolin to arrive with setup issues due to geographic environmental differences (mostly humidity and/or temperature) and due to travel stress...
    Heck, it's not unusual for some mandolins to be shipped with the bridge uninstalled, hopefully -- but not guaranteed -- fitted to the top before being separately wrapped and packaged. A reputable retailer like Mandolin Store wouldn't do that, but other on-line stores who are largely "trans-shippers," out of the shipping container and into the box, then off to you, do send un-set-up instruments.

Know your seller; search the Cafe for references to the firm, and read what others have to say about them.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Yes thanks. I did contact him and he responded in a jiffy. The booklet is detailed and am using that.

Quote Originally Posted by dhergert View Post
    Just a little counterpoint here...

In the USA, many mandolins are imported from Japan, Korea and China. It isn't at all unusual for a mandolin to arrive with setup issues due to geographic environmental differences (mostly humidity and/or temperature) and due to travel stress. As such, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the same thing happen with instruments coming to Asia from the USA.

Probably the most expected relatively minor setup problems would be neck issues like high or loose frets and neck relief problems. More serious -- and really quite rare -- problems could be neck warping or top sinking, or perhaps some areas of seam separation. Travel damage is also possible, the most common being endpin related endblock cracks or broken peghead scrolls That said, I'd be very surprised if you encounter any serious problems at all, most likely there will be nothing that could not be addressed by a thorough setup.

As has been mentioned, there is a good setup tutorial available from Rob Meldrum. Also, if you are buying a new instrument, I'd recommend talking to the builder or supplier about how to deal with any serious problems that might be covered by warranty.

Good luck with this... I suspect and hope that you'll receive a wonderful mandolin that is at most only in need of a good setup.
    Thats very encouraging to know Don! I will talk to the retailer about the warranty before freezing the purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    Heck, it's not unusual for some mandolins to be shipped with the bridge uninstalled, hopefully -- but not guaranteed -- fitted to the top before being separately wrapped and packaged. A reputable retailer like Mandolin Store wouldn't do that, but other on-line stores who are largely "trans-shippers," out of the shipping container and into the box, then off to you, do send un-set-up instruments.

Know your seller; search the Cafe for references to the firm, and read what others have to say about them.
    Yes. Appreciate the tip. I am browsing the Cafe. There are dedicated folks here and I am grateful to you all!!