Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: The end of my playing days.

Default Re: The end of my playing days.

Praying for you Ivan !

Ivan, You didn’t know it, but you were the reason I bought my Weber Fern! I think of you often whenever I take it down off the wall, and I’m going to play the best I possibly can for you. You deserve better, no doubt, but I’ll give it my best. You keep giving it your best too. Folks beat cancer all the time!

3. The following members say thank you to RickPick for this post:

bbcee 

Hi Rick - I hope that you enjoy your Weber as much as i enjoyed mine. They're terrific mandolins by any standard. Unfortunately,the type of Cancer that i have is pretty severe,so holding on to any of my instruments,isn't really an option in my case.

I have my first session of Chemotherapy tomorrow - so i'll see how i feel after that,although the immediate effect is to make you feel very tired. I'll have to keep my fingers crossed & hope for the best,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

5. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Ivan Kelsall For This Useful Post:

Praying for you sir.
    "Can I have a little more talent in the monitors please?"

Best wishes to you Ivan. I hope that you have the energy and will to keep playing.

Ivan, I'm another one who is pulling for you on good results with the chemo. I have three friends with stage IV cancers right now, and all three are pretty darn stable, at least for the moment, on new drugs. Oncology research is moving quickly, and cancers that were hopeless just a few years ago are much more manageable now. Hope this is true for you.

Ivan, not to give false hope and I'm not a doctor, but my 86 year old Mother is a 35 year survivor of breast cancer. We lost Dad to stage IV melanoma but the Chemotherapy kept him around for 9 years after the diagnosis and during treatment a couple weeks a month he was still able to pursue his hobby of driving and polishing his old car and going to car events. We hated to lose him, but the Chemotherapy really prolonged his life, IMHO.

I am hoping for the BEST, for you!

Hi all - Thanks once more for all your good wishes & kind thoughts. I have to have blood tests / x-ray & an ECG prior to Chemo.,to make sure that i'm ok to have it - let's hope so !!,
    Regards -Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

11. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Ivan Kelsall For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Hi Ivan,

Good luck with the Chemo.
    Trevor
    Formerly of The Acoustic Music Co (TAMCO) Brighton England now retired.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    Hi Ray - Re. 'the future' - i might not have a very long one,but i don't yet know. So - i'm taking care of the present & ridding myself of all my instruments. If i survive,then i think i'll take up the one instrument style that i never really got stuck into - fingerstyle Blues guitar. I can get a decent Takamine parlour sized guitar for Ģ200,it'll do.

I've just advertised my 2005 Japanese built Tokai Breezysound elec.guitar & the Roland Blues Cube BC 30 watt amp on UK Gumtree. They're in 100% MINT condition - ( pardon the pics.),
    Ivan
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Japanese built Tokai Breeezysound.JPG 
Views:	112 
Size:	320.1 KB 
ID:	174609Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Breezysound Back.JPG 
Views:	122 
Size:	317.9 KB 
ID:	174610Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Roland Blues Cube BC 30.JPG 
Views:	115 
Size:	317.5 KB 
ID:	174611
    Hi Ivan, This post of yours and your situation inspired me to get off my butt and start getting my original music down while I can. It's raw just me and drums with a practice amp PA but time is short isn't it.This the first time posted and dedicated to you, Ivan Kelsall ps I do see the irony of posting this on social media... Pss.I did not notice the 1st photo I made the video w/ random photos of mine..on a shuffle .
    Last edited by Frankdolin; Mar-13-2019 at 11:09am. Reason: ps psss

Blog Entries

I've been there. I've got your back. Go get 'em, Ivan.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

Okay, I'm with you fellas tburcham's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Ivan, you will be in my prayers.
    Tim Burcham
    Northfield Big Mon (Red Spruce/Red Maple)
    Gibson F-9 Custom
    1942 Strad-O-Lin
    1948-54 Gibson LG-3
    2011 Gibson J-45 True Vintage
    2017 Martin HD-28 VTS Custom Shop
    Bailey Mandolin Straps (NFI)
    Bell Arm-rests (NFI)

Hi folks - I'm very deeply appreciative of the fact that our illustrious leader Scott T.,hasn't closed this thread.

I've been a member for 13 years & as you might see,i've posted a fair few 'posts' etc.. I've got to know a great many of you folks via the cafe, & have made many friends on here over that time,many have become firm e-mail buddies !.

It was only my deep love for Bluegrass music which has sustained & kept me 'moving' for close to 56 years,that as i saw my 'playing days' coming to an end,i thought that i'd explain 'why'. I never intended it to be a chronicle of what's going on right now,but it is a very cathartic thing to do,& you are still my good friends !.

I know that many folks on here have gone through similar illnesses,but they affect folk in different ways. Some folks are strong willed enough to ''tough it out'',others aren't - i seem to be one of those. Not 'wimpy',but very,very deeply saddened,which has affected my life on the most basic level.

My first Chemo. session on Wed. went ok,but i wouldn't recommend it as a day out !. A review comes up on March 27th to see what's going on,& then 3 more sessions. I'll have to see how things go & take it from there. Right now,the Chemo. session's left me feeling a tad 'jittery',but otherwise ok (seemingly).

I must pay tribute to the nursing staff that dealt with me - they were ''off the planet'', totally & utterly awesome in every way possible. If they were in the armed services - it would be Gold medals all round. No praise could be high enough !,
    Regards - Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

17. The Following 28 Users Say Thank You to Ivan Kelsall For This Useful Post:

Continued support and prayers, brother. Praying for a good response to and tolerance of the chemo, and that your spirits may be as good or bad as you need them to be as you work through this!
    Chuck

Sadness is an appropriate response to what you are going thru. Allow yourself to feel it, please don't beat yourself up about it.

We are all behind you, I hope that is a comfort.
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

I'm sure we've met at festivals (I'm a Didmarton regular) but I can't picture your face! You've posted many interesting posts over the years but this is the really important stuff in life so don't stop posting now! After giving over 14k posts supporting the forum, it's the least we can do to support you through the cafe
    My prayers are echoing Chuck's and others. Peace be with you.
    Last edited by ThompsonII; Mar-15-2019 at 10:42am. Reason: mis-spelt Chuck's name!
    David

Ivan, I think you are displaying great grace in facing this most trying time, we have written personally about what’s going on. The posts you have offered through the years have been well considered at times when I may have gone off on a tangent and you have brought me back to center. I am praying for your health, as well as trying to figure out some way to afford a trip to the U.K. to meet face to face some of the very interesting folks I’ve met through this forum as well as a grilling forum I frequent! The sooner the better.
    I’d have to agree, a day in the chemo recliner is not one I’d say is a “fun” day either.
    Be well, my friend.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post

I know that many folks on here have gone through similar illnesses,but they affect folk in different ways. Some folks are strong willed enough to ''tough it out'',others aren't - i seem to be one of those. Not 'wimpy',but very,very deeply saddened,which has affected my life on the most basic level.

I must pay tribute to the nursing staff that dealt with me - they were ''off the planet'', totally & utterly awesome in every way possible. If they were in the armed services - it would be Gold medals all round. No praise could be high enough !,
    Regards - Ivan
    It is very true that the diagnosis affects everyone differently, as does the treatment. And believe or not, we nurses become very attached to our patients (particularly on oncology units - I speak from 23 years' experience on such a unit) and very protective of them. Thank you on behalf of all oncology nurses - we continue to care very much about our patients, and very much rejoice in their success in getting through their treatments.

23. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to LadysSolo For This Useful Post:

We all love you and wish you all the best Ivan. And many of us want you to know that cancer is beatable. I have had 3 diagnoses and 2 operations. Currently I am pretty darned healthy and very thankful.

Each of us "walks that lonesome road" by ourselves, but that doesn't mean we are alone, nor should we despair. While we may look to our sides and see no one physically beside ourself, many accompany us on our journey in spirit and prayer. So, chin up, chest out, and onward through the fog of uncertainty my brother. God bless you friend. You are loved.

Ivan, as a long time Cafe member, I feel like you are family to me. As so many others have expressed, I pray for your health and recovery. This world becomes smaller with each connection we make. I'm blessed to know you and this community.
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

Hello folks - Just a quick update on the Chemo. business - basically it's evil !!!. The worst effects are a constant feeling of having been gut punched / my taste buds have gone AWOL & the sort of 'synthetic fatigue' just drop kicks you !.

I wouldn't mind the feeling in my stomach so much,as long as i could eat,but the Chemo. robs your taste buds of any true sensation of taste or texture - especially if it's pastry,biscuits ('cookies' to you folk) or pasta. Even ordinary things like tomatoes taste like nothing. It's no wonder folk on Chemo. loose weight.

The tiredness that i was told to expect duly arrived - but it's not TRUE tiredness,it's a sort of mental tension that feels as though the top of your head's about to explode - it's not a 'sleepy' sort of tiredness. 'True' tiredness arrived yesterday after a few nights of having to take a sleeping tablet to sleep. During the day,i actually yawned,so,taking my queue from that,i slept without a sleeping tablet for the first time in a long time. I was pretty much on the verge of collapsing because of the tiredness.

It's another day,so i'll see how i get on. I have a revue next Wed. 27th March,for blood tests x-rays etc. to see what's happening. If all's going ok - i only have another 3 months of Chemo. to go - won't that be fun ???,
    Best wishes to all - Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

27. The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Ivan Kelsall For This Useful Post:

Ivan, is medical use of cannabis something you might consider? It has proven to be helpful to reduce many of the side effects for many chemo patients in the US, and I understand it is also now available in the UK.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave Bradford For This Useful Post:

Ivan, I'm surprised that you're getting the "taste" issue so quickly. For me, it was a gradual descent over the five months of Chemo till I reached the full "everything tastes like wet cardboard" problem in the last few rounds. People couldn't understand why it was so difficult for me to eat, that I should just go ahead and eat even if the food is tasteless, but wet cardboard doesn't go down well, and it keeps you on the edge of gagging! I also couldn't tolerate foods or liquids that were cooler than room temperature, so that made things even worse.

My sympathies!
    Doug Brock
    2018 Kimble 2 point (#259), Eastman MD315, Eastman MDA315, some guitars, banjos, and fiddles

Hi Doug - The 'taste' thingy is total crap !!!. I'm going to embark on a diet of hot/spicy & Pickled types of food. The ONLY things that have tasted 'real' so far are pickled foods such as Pickled Mussels / Fish (tinned Tuna mixed with a gallon or so of vinegar/salt/pepper), & i'm going to try some VERY highly spiced roast Pork spare ribs today. They'll have to be at least Jalapeņo heat,otherwise the way my taste buds are,i'll never taste them. Plenty of smoked Paprika & Garlic as well should swing it ?. Even my very strong morning cup of Coffee tastes bland. I suppose that mainly - it's about making sure that i do eat something. At the moment, apart from feeling hungry & wanting to eat,i could do without the hassle of crap tasting food. Stick to the Jack Daniels my inner self tells me (LOL !). Realistically,i very rarely drink spirits of any sort,although i do like JD !. They hit my stomach like a Mac truck on steroids !!!. I had a drink of Cognac mixed with Ginger Ale a couple of nights ago,hoping for some 'taste' & i might as well have been drinking water.

Hi Dave - '' Is medical use of cannabis something you might consider ?'' The use of that would come under the jurisdiction of my Doc. & i doubt if he'd play ball on that account. He won't even prescribe a decent number of Diazepam tablets which help if i'm feeling a tad jittery during the day. I'm on the lookout for a good supply of Heroin or Crack Cocaine (LOL !!)

In a word - it's 'go it alone' each day. Try things out to see if they work or not - it's all i can do right now - & 3 more months to go - oh well !,
    Regards to all - Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

32. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Ivan Kelsall For This Useful Post:

You are a warrior Ivan. Keep going.