Thread: Silverangel

Default Silverangel

The recent thread about weather to have a Mando built or not got me thinking how I came to own my Silverangel. I had decided to buy an MT, and was headed out the door when I decided to try the classifieds one more time. My SA had just been posted. A thousand less than I was out the door to spend. Decided that was a chance I could take. Ended up very happy.

So the conundrum is that even in a major metro area, most small shop makers just won't have a presence. In the classifieds today, I found the solution. Ken Ratcliff has offered to send you a mandolin to try. Free. Now this is how classical stringed instruments have always been sold. Astounding but true. What a great offer.

It was dumb luck brought me a SA, and it will stand up to the major players, but you have to see for yourself. Here's a chance.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

Default Re: Silverangel

Loves my SA!!! I had it commissioned and have been very very pleased!
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 Hand Crafted Pancake

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

3. The following members say thank you to soliver for this post:

I saw his add. That is quite an offer. Especially for some one looking to have Ken build them a mandolin. It eliminates all the worries about if you are going to like after you get it. I have been contemplating commissioning a mandolin from fairly well regarded builder for a while. But the fear of it not being what I imagined it would be keeps me from pulling the trigger. Seems like a man that builds mandolins for the love of building mandolins for people that love mandolins.

I hope it goes well for Ken.

Adam

5. The following members say thank you to addamr for this post:

Ken is as stand-up as they come.
    Love love love my Fantasma.

I played several of Ken's mandolins at SPBGMA. I can tell you that they were all, in their own way, screamin' deals. Pound for pound, I believe Ken is giving the best bang-for-the-buck of anyone building Stateside.
    2019 Duff A-5 #246
    1964 Martin A

Yeah, I’ve just seen that ad in classifieds. That’s a fantastic offer - you literally can’t go wrong with it. I have never played, or even seen, a Silverangel over here in the UK, but they sound great on all the videos, and he seems to have a hell of a lot of happy customers. Must be doing something right!

I love my 2009 "Econo" A Style. Deep, woody tone. I touched base with Ken about this Fantasma hoss!!
    Jim D

10. The following members say thank you to Jim DeSalvio for this post:

Em Tee 

I'd always wanted a Silverangel, although I am mostly a fiddle player. I got my chance a few years back on a used SA distressed F style, and I loved it....till...I visited Ken at his home in Eastern Ky and ended up trading it in on an even better Distressed F he had taken on trade. Now I am the owner of #359, previously owned by Donnie Stevens and you can hear him playing it on Youtube if you want to hear what the SA's sound like. Ken is the best to work with on a purchase, and his character and integrity is unmatched. Great Mando's for the money.

Mine is #385 and I'm told it is in the video where they are playing two A styles, one in the white. But I have no clue which is mine.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1