Thread: Ottawa Mandolin Club Starting Up

Default Ottawa Mandolin Club Starting Up

To all interested,
    We are exploring the possibility of starting a mandolin club or society in Ottawa Canada.
    All are welcome to inquire. We plan to explore various genre based upon members wishes.
    Feel free to comment here or send a personal message to me for further information.
    Cheers,
    Barry

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Barry Canada For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Ottawa Mandolin Club Starting Up

Cool! Keep me posted...
    Too many instruments...too little time

Thanks for your interest BBarton.
    I certainly will. I am generating some positive interest. Please feel welcome to PM me,
    Also if you know of any other players who may be interested please pass on the info.
    Best, Barry

5. The following members say thank you to Barry Canada for this post:

From our discussions back-channel, this sounds good. Looking forward to it!

Barry -- I sent you a PM.
    Too many instruments...too little time

Thanks Bbarton,
    I’ll keep you and all other inquiring about it posted!
    Thanks for your spport!

I attended an inaugural session with other mando players in Ottawa last night. Thanks to Barry for taking the initiative to form a local collective for mandolin players.

We had a great time strumming together and playing some tunes. I'm very much looking forward to future meetings of the Ottawa Mandolin Club (or Society)!

10. The following members say thank you to ottawa_adam for this post:

Hi Barry, We met at Temple Israel at the Svigals film presentation. As I said, I'm interested in joining a mandolin group in Ottawa. Contact me so we can communicate directly. I left you my Museum card. If it got misplaced, look me up in the Ottawa directory (Irwin Brodo). Good luck, and thanks for getting things going. Ernie

We had a second meeting tonight -- the first for me --and had a good time with tunes and talk. I'm looking forward to more and appreciate Barry's organization and guidance. At this point, it seems that there are five of us committed.
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

13. The following members say thank you to Ranald for this post:

I guess I missed this, but I’d be interested in getting together any old time during the half of the year when I’m in Ontario. Please put me on the list. I’ll PM my email. Thanks for taking the initiative.

I’m currently looking for a nice, loud flattop ovalhole, (or carved top at right price) radiused fingerboard, probably in the $1k range. Especially interested in large-bodied types. Since I’m big on try-before-buy, Ottawa area leads would be welcomed.

15. The following members say thank you to Bill Cameron for this post:

Hi All,
    We are looking forward to our next session in April.
    Now is the time for all you mandolin players to come out of hiding from that lonnnngggg! tooo long Ottawa winter.
    Thanks to all the supporting members. So far our meetings have been a positive success. If any other players are interested
    please feel free to come forth. You will all be warmly welcome. If you wish send me a private message and I will be happy to
    respond.
    Best,
    Barry

Just a quick and brief update.
    We want you to know that we are “up” and “running”.
    We have had successful and enjoyable monthly meetings. Thanks to all the participants for making this nice musical exchange happen!
    Any interested mandolin players are welcome at our upcoming June meeting. Feel free to contact me if you are interested and have any questions.
    Best, Barry

One of these days...good stuff Barry.

Our Mandolin club will begin the fall session on Wednesday September 18.
    We had our inaugural sessions during the Spring of 2019 and have been meeting on a monthly basis. We welcome mandolin players to join our group which offers a welcoming and encouraging musical environment to explore and enjoy all genres of music.
    If you would like more information about our mandolin collective please do not hesitate to send me a private message or simply post your question.
    I look forward to our next meeting!
    Barry

We had a good meeting last night in Ottawa, with only three of us. What we lacked in numbers, we made up in enthusiasm. We brought and worked on four tunes in different genres: "Xotis Romanes" (Greek), "The Lonesome Train That Took My Baby Away" (blues/stomp), "Liberty Two-Step" (old time), and "Morrison's Jig" (Irish). It was a good evening, and we'll continue with those tunes. Thanks to Barry for hospitality and guidance.
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."

I started taking lessons in September 2018, and am interested in joining the group in Ottawa. Could you please send me details? Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer HD View Post
    I started taking lessons in September 2018, and am interested in joining the group in Ottawa. Could you please send me details? Thank you.
    Hi, Jennifer.
    You may have seen Barry's reply on the other thread (Celtic, U.K., Nordic, Quebecois, European Folk). The group didn't work out for various recent (e.g., a small number of people with highly different levels of skill and divergent interests). My main interest is blues. If you'd like to discuss mandolin in Ottawa, please send me a PM (personal message) by clicking on my name, to the left.
    Ranald