Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JazzMando website to sunset soon

Chief Moderator/Shepherd Ted Eschliman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default JazzMando website to sunset soon

With very much mixed emotions, I’m announcing the JazzMando website will be shutting down permanently in the next few weeks. It’s been a good run, nearly two decades, but the cost of upgrading its infrastructure and maintaining storage is more than I have the resources, and frankly, passion to keep up.

I appreciate everyone’s support over the years. Scott has agreed to host additional limited material in the Cafe Lessons resources, assuming there is enough interest. If there is something you’d like to see be permanently available online, weigh in here or message me.

Also, anyone interested in running with the domain name or taking the baton with current elements is welcome to contact me, although I’ve already had some conversations with individuals already the last few months.

Pick well.
    Ted
    Ted Eschliman

Author, Getting Into Jazz Mandolin

2. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Ted Eschliman For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: JazzMando website to sunset soon

I'm sorry to hear of this. Lurked there and got the gist of FFcP which has really improved my playing (my opinion only!).

4. The following members say thank you to Dave Wrede for this post:

Sorry to hear this, Ted. I really enjoyed your mandolin reviews. I also liked the strings you used to sell. Thanks for presenting the site for as long as you did.

Best wishes,

Bob
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

6. The following members say thank you to Bob Clark for this post:

It has been enlightening to visit your site and it has been full of insight for someone who teaches mandolin but not really any jazz. Music is music and it is fun to see how it all works. Thanks for sharing your knowledge and may the road rise up to meet you as you move on.

Ted,

Thank you again and again for all you've done for the mandolin, at JazzMando.com, here at the Cafe, in Getting Into Jazz Mandolin, FFcP, instrument,pick,and string design, support of mandolin events, and generally helping a ton of mandolin players along on their musical journeys. Your leadership is greatly appreciated from coast to coast.

9. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Don Stiernberg For This Useful Post:

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

The site that changed me from a guitar sounding hack to someone who sounds like I’m at least trying to play mandolin. Thank you for all you’ve done Ted. We’ve corresponded in the past, and I hope to correspond in the future too.
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

11. The following members say thank you to David Lewis for this post:

Blog Entries

Ted's leadership as this forum's chief moderator has been instrumental in the Cafe's enduring online presence so this change, of which I've been aware of for some time, gives me heartburn and then some. There are real reasons behind this that include his time and money that make it not in the cards for him to continue and I get that. The web has changed and continues to evolve. It's a tougher game for small niche sites which is why you see fewer and fewer these days. Enjoy them while they're around. I promise you many of them will not always be there in the future.
    Last edited by Mandolin Cafe; Feb-08-2019 at 4:34pm.

13. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

Thanks for everything Ted. MandolinCafe and JazzMando are the two heavyweights of online mandolin discussion for me.
    Ocean Blvd - Funky Jazz (https://oceanblvd.band)
    Cosmic Ramblers - Bluegrass, Americana (facebook.com/cosmicramblers)
    HotQua String Band - Gypsy Swing, Latin Bluegrass

Main Mandos: Nashville Flatiron A5 Artist, Belmuse 4 string electric

15. The following members say thank you to seththedude for this post:

Started mandolining with your site and book. Been back a lot. A wonderful resource I’m sad to see go.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Ted:

Thanks for all that you have done for us non-Bluegrassers with your Jazz Mandolin site, your book and countless (well > 4k) posts on MC. When I was starting out trying to figure out from scratch "cool" swing jazz rhythm voicings before "Getting Into Jazz Mandolin" was published, you were kind enough to review and correct my notes. I have referred to the Jazz Mandolin site on many occasions for help getting my head & hands around making the world's greatest instrument fit into a group setting.

Again, many thanks, and I hope you keep posting in MC. Best wishes.

Ted,

Thank you for all the work you've done for the mandolin and the music community. It will last.

Now you'll have a little more time to enjoy the four footed ones, at the least.

This makes me sad, I've learned a lot from it, thanks for all your work on the site and your book.

It does appear that the site is pretty well archived (I haven't checked that many pages) on archive.org e.g. https://web.archive.org/web/20180412...jazzmando.com/
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

Sad to read this Ted, your site was a huge stepping stone for me, and I continue to direct people to your site and book weekly. I would be much obliged if the FFCP resources found a new home somewhere that I could send folks to.

Likewise, if there is any interest in hosting some of the more treasured content on MandoLessons, lets talk. I'd be happy to try and keep the jazzmando content alive and well in any way I can. I'll shoot you a PM as well.

Thanks for the years of work, it is and will be greatly appreciated, and has not gone unnoticed.
    Baron
    MandoLessons: Free Online Mandolin Lessons
    Velocipede: My Fiddle Tune Duo
    Old Time Mandolin: Solo Old Time Mandolin Album

21. The following members say thank you to Baron Collins-Hill for this post:

Ted, thanks for all the effort you’ve put into your site through the years. It will definitely be missed!
    Chuck

Thanks Ted!! Hope the site can continue in some form.
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

Ted;
    your site has been a wonderful source over the years and certainly has been a help to me, as well as so many others...
    I wish you the very best for the future.. i am sure this was a tough decision, but I am sure, the right one for you.

It is a shame that the JazzMAndo site cannot be married to the MAndolinCafe,, Scott... lock stock and barrel... tagged onto a button, so that what has been a tremendous source for learning doesn't just vanish. Even if it was static, and was not continually improved, it could be a wonderful corner of the MandolinCafe to reference.
    John D

I can't let this pass without saying thank you Ted. Spent many pleasant hours on the jazzmando website.
    [note to self] Burst not thy brother's bubble ~ unk

Blog Entries

Thank you Ted for everything you've given us so freely through the years on your site. FFcP is still a gold standard for so many. It was your JazzMando strings (and picks) that really got me happy. Your work made a lasting mark on the mandolin scene. I'll be happy to see what Scott can keep up here.

I still run wearing my fleece JazzMando ear warmer.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Thanks Ted for providing such a wonderful resource over the years.

Ted,

FFCP certainly changed my approach to playing, and I loved the mandolin reviews as well. Thanks for a job well done as Chief Moderator here. You are part of what made the Cafe experience unique. I look forward to any future mandolin or tenor guitar input from you.

Scott Crownover

Thanks so much Ted! Very sad to hear this well but thanks for all the work over the years. I do hope someone takes up the baton in some form or another.

David

Chief Moderator/Shepherd Ted Eschliman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I appreciate everyone's kind words, and I've got good news. A few generous souls contacted me offline and I've consented to work with Baron Collins-Hill to revamp the old site and put a more current spin on a new format. Much of the old will remain, and I'm confident Baron will inject a new energy into this project I haven't been able to muster.

We hope to have more details, soon.
    Ted Eschliman

Author, Getting Into Jazz Mandolin

31. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Ted Eschliman For This Useful Post:

Ted,
    I for one am INCREDIBLY grateful for your finding a new resource to continue this invaluable source of iinformation.
    I am just now getting into using FFCP and SO want to continue.
    I will look forward to the updates as they are shared.
    Eric Hanson
    Click #016/ Born on 2/29/08 - Sold to the next Conservator of this great mandolin!
    The search has ceased! (At least for now)
    Collings A-Style
    White #29R : Oh my!! This one is so AWESOME!!

I learned so much from JazzMando over the years and am happy and honored to be taking up the torch and keeping Ted's excellent resource online!

Stay tuned!
    Baron
    MandoLessons: Free Online Mandolin Lessons
    Velocipede: My Fiddle Tune Duo
    Old Time Mandolin: Solo Old Time Mandolin Album

34. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Baron Collins-Hill For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Being new to mandolin, it was one of the first books I picked up. Not an easy read for a beginner but like all things, repetition and practice can make basic scales musical. Your insight is invaluable and I have nothing to offer but thanks and healthy respect for bringing this greatness to our ears.