Thread: Mandola Builders Question

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Default Mandola Builders Question

Getting a new top and new bridge. Question for mandola builders. Do you have set spacing you like to use between courses and between course strings at the bridge? Is this something you just eyeball? Please excuse my naivety for asking this question but as my Momma used to say, "No such thing as a dumb question". But she was my mother.
    I often use tremolo and have played instruments where the like stings CC GG DD AA were too far apart to facilitate tremolo and the spacing between courses was not comfortable.
    I know personal preference comes into play but wondering if anyone has or has heard of a standard.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

Default Re: Mandola Builders Question

I've made templates from a couple of old Gibson mandolas (an H5 and an older H4) and use similar spacing. It is not much wider than mandolin spacing between courses or within courses. You could simply start with mandolin bridge spacing and make it about 1/32" wider overall. That would get you real close to the old Gibson spacing.

3. The following members say thank you to sunburst for this post:

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sunburst View Post
    I've made templates from a couple of old Gibson mandolas (an H5 and an older H4) and use similar spacing. It is not much wider than mandolin spacing between courses or within courses. You could simply start with mandolin bridge spacing and make it about 1/32" wider overall. That would get you real close to the old Gibson spacing.
    T Y
    My builder asked me for my preference or a template.
    Still interested in hearing other approaches if anyone has a different method.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

BTW, instead of relying on memory entirely, I rechecked my mandola string spacing templates and I found that only the H4 is very slightly wider than Loar mandolin spacing. The H5 spacing was actually slightly narrower than the Loar mandolin spacing that I use.
    So, I guess it comes down to; mandola spacing is the same as mandolin spacing.

6. The following members say thank you to sunburst for this post: